Difference in 5th gen VFR800 pre- and post-2000

htx

Guys, I recently bought a 5th gen RC46 VFR800. The bike's first registration was in 2000, but the bike was manufactured in 1999. How can I tell if it's a later or an earlier model? I'm asking, because frankly I prefer the earlier one - AFAIK the later one has a catalytic converter and oxygen sensors, stuff I can really do without.

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD!

The O2 sensors should be easy to spot no?  

The 98-99 came with condoms around the mirror stalks, the 00-01 (the "Y2K's" didnot.  But maybe the previous owner changed the mirrors

But do post a picture of your bike, w/o it you donot exist! :goofy:

Haha, took me a bit to searching to find out what's the difference between the condom-style mirrors and the newer ones. Thank god my boss doesn't review my Internet history!

Thank you for the PDF! Looking at it now, I can definitely see I'm riding the newer VFR - oh well.

I'll upload a pic of the new machine as soon as it's finished, as I've torn it down to re-manufacture the entire charging system, complete with a rewound stator and a new reg/rec. Yep, no VFR is a stranger to a catastrophic charging system failure, and that's why I'm taking my time to make it durable enough to survive a nuclear holocaust.

LOL,, yea there's a few differences not so easy to see at first, like mentioned the first more or less obvious are the mirrors, then the tach face Fonts, then the missing cold start lever.  Yea the O2s and cat aren't seen until you look down under, also the header has smaller primary's and the FI has been re worked, then there's the obvious Yellow 00 here state side.  

• Member Contributer

Quickest way to tell? Fast idle lever or not.. Yes = '98-'99 ... No = '00-'01

Yeah, did see a a couple of photos of a pre-2000 VFR with the fast idle lever - wondered why my bike doesn't have one. Thanks for the info, guys!

Great forum by the way, will definitely check it out in more depth, as soon as I have some free time. :)

Archived