Dead headlights

• Member Contributer

So Thursday morning, I pulled my bike out at 5am and headed to work.  Everything was fine and working well.  After work, I started the bike up and again, everything was fine.  As my bike warms up I can see the lights reflecting off the wall in front of where I park, so I know they are working.  On the way home, the only different that occurred, that never occurs is a car cut me off and I flashed my high beams several times.  Later on the ride home, I was sitting behind a large SUV at a light and I noticed my headlights were not reflecting back at me from the back of the car.  I have the high output Phillips bulbs.  When I pull into my garage at home, I check it out and notice the lights are off and won't come back on.  I pull the bulbs and test them.  The bulbs are fine.  I noticed the bulb connector was melted.  I pull the fairings off and check the fuse and notic that it's blown.  I replaced the fuse and It blows again.  I cut off the headlight connector and replace the fuse and it doesn't blow this time.  After purchasing a new H4 bulb connector soldering it in place and plugging it up, I still have no power to the bulb.  The fuse is good.  Tail lights work, turn signals work, markers work and the dash lights up.  For what ever reason, the lights are still not coming on.   I tested the bulb independantly on the battery and they are good.  I'm now starting to beat my head against the wall trying to figure out the problem.  I think I'll pull the high bean low beam switch and check it next.  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Maybe it just reached the end of it's life.

You looked over and checked the other stuff in the electric system I guess.

Sometimes you gotta ride on and see how it goes. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Another one to be aware of that takes out your headlights, is a sticky starter button/switch. If the switch doesn't fully deactivate after a start its other contacts don't make and your headlight relay is dead. Doesn't blow fuses though. Start switch just needs a good exercise and a squirt of WD40 or similar.

Cheers.

Grum

• 6 months later...
On 7/23/2017 at 9:19 PM, Grum said:

Another one to be aware of that takes out your headlights, is a sticky starter button/switch. If the switch doesn't fully deactivate after a start its other contacts don't make and your headlight relay is dead. Doesn't blow fuses though. Start switch just needs a good exercise and a squirt of WD40 or similar.

Cheers.

Grum

Thanks very much for that tidbit of knowledge......Saved me from tearing the bike apart looking for the reason my headlights, all of a sudden, didn't turn on!!

• Member Contributer
On 7/23/2017 at 9:19 PM, Grum said:

Cheers.

Grum

Came here to type this. The switch in question is a cheap fix from Amazon, but you also develop the habit of pulling back on the starter button after using it...

Archived