lazyeye

Chain Mileage

7 hours ago, JZH said:

You can try, but you can't hide a VFR-related technical discussion from me, mate...

Ciao,

Lol , I know and at least a decent discussion can be had, regardless of what forum it’s on. ?

Well, if anyone's interested, mine is at 30,500 as of today, with no signs of nearing end-of-life yet.  I maintain the chain by spraying down with Honda lube, wiping with a microfiber cloth, riding 400 miles, and repeating.  Every three or four times I will soak the cloth in Honda chain cleaner and wipe off the chain, then re-lube.

• Like 1

I am developing a tight roller. Everything else is fine. Only adjusted twice so far, and I'm at 20k miles. Typically clean and lube every Friday evening after work. Keeping an eye on it, but it is fine to ride. 

On 6/4/2018 at 3:23 PM, Shinigami said:

Well, if anyone's interested, mine is at 30,500 as of today, with no signs of nearing end-of-life yet.  I maintain the chain by spraying down with Honda lube, wiping with a microfiber cloth, riding 400 miles, and repeating.  Every three or four times I will soak the cloth in Honda chain cleaner and wipe off the chain, then re-lube.

I'm only at 12K miles but I do the same thing and also have always kept chain adjustment slightly looser than recommended by Honda.  I like Honda chain lube because it's thin but stays on the chain for ~400 hard miles of hard riding for me.  Sometimes I use Honda recommended differential gear lube.  Neither attract grit and dirt.  Thick, waxy lubes attract and hold grit on the chain in my experience.  I keep the O Rings (x rings?) and chain clean by soaking and wiping with a dry rag and cleaning with a very light cleaner as well.  I consistently get 28K miles+ on chains on two other VFR's I've owned.  All of this IMHO and FWIW.   

• Like 1

I just spit on it and grind away... Usually makes for a good half an hour's HARD riding... Oh, wrong forum?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Auspanglish said:

I just spit on it and grind away... Usually makes for a good half an hour's HARD riding... Oh, wrong forum?

Unsanitary too. 😄

Looks like I might have got the right forum after all!!

:D

Come on..... Act your age ffs :goofy:

Leon, when I get to your, sorry, THE age my chain is always slack I'll start worrying about it. Until then, si la cosa va bene...

c13b353d3c3049c26c16c274b05cb821.jpg&key=f56bbfebde90ce44ba2f758954c88627547035dcd014611f6d00048b236f7946

:goofy:

th?id=OIP.xLBcuHu_A8uI7bvA_15A3wHaDt%26p

17 hours ago, Rsparky said:

more bacteria than a butthole.

I'm sure I can develop a product to address that.

Astroglide does the trick for me. Likely o-ring safe too.