Vf500 improvements

Blake

I have been riding my 1985 vf500f for a few weeks, the bike runs well and I do enjoy it. Aside from the usual maintenance items, carb sync, valve lash adjustment I wanted to improve the braking system. I've rebuilt the brake master cyclinder. The brakes work ok, just kinda reminds me of all the old cars I used to drive with non-power assist brakes. So,I'm thinking stainless brake lines, perhaps new rotors and brake pads. Has anyone ungraded the brake systems on these bikes and will the above help? The aftermarket seems to have these upgrades available. 

Thanks Blake. 

• Member Contributer

Any stock rubber lines that are over 30 years old will be spongy. Swapping lines will help dramatically, SS or not. The choice is yours on that. I say go for SS unless you are working to keep it specifically stock.

Thanks thtanner. Do you think rotors and pads will help? Maybe I'll just do one at a time and see the improvement. At least I'll know what works. 

I replaced (only) the brake lines w/SS; and then replaced the fluid and did a good job bleeding the brakes.  I'm happy with the brakes now - YMMV.

Archived