Squeezed out of lane twice in 3 minutes

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer

just so we are all clear on the definition of "mountain twisties" moving forward.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

"Evasive maneuvers."

download.png.bc8151634f86d5e0633554d64dd9787d.png

Poor positional riding, lack of experience and playing up for the camera were factors here, but of course you won't see that.

If you argue for a living, you must be almost destitute based on the responses to this thread, as no one is seeing this as you do.

• Member Contributer
45 minutes ago, Nelix said:

"Evasive maneuvers."

Poor positional riding, lack of experience and playing up for the camera were factors here, but of course you won't see that.

If you argue for a living, you must be almost destitute based on the responses to this thread, as no one is seeing this as you do.

Oh, c-mon, "FWIW, the YouTube community seems to side with my perspective."  They count.  Don't they?  (Should have been a clue, perhaps...)

Most people who ride sports-capable motorcycles have a fairly relaxed view about abiding by speed limits.  Personally, I ride as fast as I feel comfortable riding, under the circumstances (which include, among other things, weather, topography, the posted speed limit, the likelihood of law enforcement and my mental and physical state).  So if Greg feels it appropriate to ride at 80 in a 40 (during the semi "incident"), I cannot fault him for choosing to do something I might very well have done myself.  However (there's always a however in my profession), when he does so he has to take into account that few people will be expecting that, and they will not be scanning the horizon for a relatively tiny object approaching at twice the expected speed.   Dealing with the situation he created is on him, so holding up this kind of driving as being somehow unexpected and unfair is a bit precious.  

That's not "squeezing".  Squeezing is when you're alongside them and they move into the place where you already are.  These drivers just took your lane.  Possibly rude, if done knowingly, though.  My favourite example of "squeezing" happened to me in Bavaria in 1989, riding somewhere near Neuschwannstein Castle in the rain on my first Euro Tour.  The road was twisting back and forth between some grass-covered low hills and around one curve I was quite surprised to discover a tour bus (on my side of the road) with its big nose overhanging the line I was already on.  I took "evasive maneuvers", consisting of me heading off the road, into the wet grass, over the low hill and back onto the road on the other side.  How I managed to do so without hitting anything at all on the hill or even land in a ditch I have no idea.  I really wish I could find that location on Google... :blush:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Nelix said:

LOL - you've given me a great idea for my next motovlog Nelix - I think I'll do a vid showing my favorite route to my homeless shelter :tongue:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, JZH said:

Oh, c-mon, "FWIW, the YouTube community seems to side with my perspective."  They count.  Don't they?  (Should have been a clue, perhaps...)

Most people who ride sports-capable motorcycles have a fairly relaxed view about abiding by speed limits.  Personally, I ride as fast as I feel comfortable riding, under the circumstances (which include, among other things, weather, topography, the posted speed limit, the likelihood of law enforcement and my mental and physical state).  So if Greg feels it appropriate to ride at 80 in a 40 (during the semi "incident"), I cannot fault him for choosing to do something I might very well have done myself.  However (there's always a however in my profession), when he does so he has to take into account that few people will be expecting that, and they will not be scanning the horizon for a relatively tiny object approaching at twice the expected speed.   Dealing with the situation he created is on him, so holding up this kind of driving as being somehow unexpected and unfair is a bit precious.  

That's not "squeezing".  Squeezing is when you're alongside them and they move into the place where you already are.  These drivers just took your lane.  Possibly rude, if done knowingly, though.  My favourite example of "squeezing" happened to me in Bavaria in 1989, riding somewhere near Neuschwannstein Castle in the rain on my first Euro Tour.  The road was twisting back and forth between some grass-covered low hills and around one curve I was quite surprised to discover a tour bus (on my side of the road) with its big nose overhanging the line I was already on.  I took "evasive maneuvers", consisting of me heading off the road, into the wet grass, over the low hill and back onto the road on the other side.  How I managed to do so without hitting anything at all on the hill or even land in a ditch I have no idea.  I really wish I could find that location on Google... :blush:

Ciao,

It's refreshing to read an intelligent response for a change (even though I disagree with some of it).

• Member Contributer

Yes, you disagree with the parts that don't support your version of events, strange that.

As far as I can see, no one is agreeing events happened as you view them, yet you still are adamant you are correct.

Of course it is possible the rest of us are wrong, it's also possible that Donald Trump is a fantastic role model on how to treat women. Odds are about the same.....

• Member Contributer

I don't understand all the rancor, we all agree that the semi and the CR-V were in the wrong. The semi started moving over before signalling and the

CR-V never did signal. The only disagreement is the definition of "Squeezing out of your lane". Most of us feel there was sufficient warning to allow for

a non-panic lane change in both cases with open lanes to move to.

And personally I hate this stupid phrase "butt hurt". It's insulting and serves no purpose other than to be insulting. Civil discourse means just that: civil.

• Member Contributer
17 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

The fact that motorcyclists as a group are invisible is nothing new to anyone that has ridden for a few years. Heck, drivers pull out in front of semi-trucks, fire trucks, and police cars with lights and siren, it's little wonder that

we go unseen by many drivers. The more you ride, the more you become more situationally, if there is such a word, aware, and more things fall into the unsurprising category. Hell, ride for over 50 years and you'll have seen

a lot of weirdness. :beer:

Have to say even with lights sirens  and loads of dayglo you are still invisible to a lot of drivers. 

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

LOL - once again (fifth time?) my butt was not hurt in the filming of this video.   I'm starting to think that some of you guys are actually butthurt that I'm not butthurt :tongue:   I admitted right off the bat that my excessive speed played a large part and therefore I have no ill will towards the drivers in question because I don't think they ever saw me approaching them from behind at a high closing speed.  Nor was I "surprised" when these vehicles squeezed into my lane with either no signal (CR-V) or inadequate/late signal (truck) because I always assume I'm invisible and I therefore fully expect that cagers will do things like that.  Again, the purpose of my vid was to illustrate just that point.

Because I was closing in on them so rapidly (my fault) I had less than a second to react to their inadequately signaled lane change (their fault) or they clearly would have side-swiped me.   Had I been an inexperienced rider looking down for a split second to check my fuel gauge for example the outcome could have been ugly.  And yet it's precisely because I was able to react in a fraction of a second and avoid that outcome with no drama that some of you believe there was no danger/squeezing involved.  I wonder how close I have to be to another vehicle going 75 mph before I'm allowed to use the phrase "squeezed out of my lane" without some of you guys getting "butt hurt":tongue: over that claim?   100 feet? 50 feet? 10 feet? 5 feet? 3 feet? 1 foot? 3 inches? 3 mm?  Actual contact?

It's pretty clear to me from this and other similar threads of mine that some of you guys would actually like to see me get run off the road since I tend to speed on public roads and I therefore deserve that fate in your eyes.  Thus, there's really no point in further debate here - I'll never convince you I was squeezed out of my lane and vice versa.   Now if you don't mind I'm gonna go for a nice late-night ride and get me a ?  Have a good night everyone!

I'll put one up on Monday foreveryone to have a look at.  

• Member Contributer

I'll be honest I did not watch the whole video but did see the semi truck part, I really have to chuckle at the term being squeezed out of the lane. Being in California I get to do what a lot of other riders around the world get to do and that is lane share/split/filter, whatever name it's given and as such have truly been squeezed out of a lane. One time in particular, I actually rubbed shoulders with a large "Dually" truck and even had my helmet touch his side view mirror. Whether he didn't see me or he was trying to keep me from splitting, I'll never know, but in my case I was literally "squeezed"out of the lane.

Here's a clip of where I turned the tables on the cars...not my brightest moment but I knew I had it in the bag!

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, fink said:

Can some one explain butt hurt to us non US folk.  I have a rough idea but would like clarification.  

I believe it's what happens to good looking white collar felons in prison, normally on the first night by various other inmates.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, Nelix said:

I believe it's what happens to good looking white collar felons in prison, normally on the first night by various other inmates.

See, us 'Mericans aren't that hard to understand...:wink:

• Member Contributer

"Butt hurt": "...it would appear that the term “butthurt” originally referred to a response similar to that of a child who has just been spanked: petulant, peevish, and whiny."

To me it is a passive/aggressive insult, intimating that someone got upset over something that the commenter thought was trivial. But they don't want to come right out say so.

Think GG with all his lack of riding skills and really the only turns he's accustomed to are on and off ramps--- we definitely need more videos of him just cruising around his neighborhood ??

SMH

Wouldn't last a day in the real world

Oh and more cow bell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
30 minutes ago, Nelix said:

Soapy shower. 

2 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

I don't understand all the rancor, we all agree that the semi and the CR-V were in the wrong.

Don't lump me in, I do not agree.   While the semi-tractor and the CR-V were in violation of the letter-of-the-law, so was Gator by his own admission of speeding.  Gator inserted himself into both his percieved situations.

As I pointed out with my still captures and text, I believe that the intentions of the other vehicles in both instances was clear.   If not by signal, by action and situation.   In both cases, Gator continued to accelerate into a position that had become occupied by the other vehicle some distance ahead of him or was clearly about to become occupied.

I firmly stand by my assessment of surprised/butt-hurt as correctly defined by FJ12.  In my experience, the only times I've turned my head to look sideways at a vehicle I'm passing is to make visual communication with the other driver (butt-hurt), evaluate unexpected motion noticed during my scan (surprised), or to assess the physical attributes of the female driver (I'm male).  I have, on rare occasion, turned my head to admire an especially rare/beautiful/old vehicle.  For me, a CR-V does not meet my criteria, Gator can list the reasons he turns his head.  I'm convinced he was establishing visual communication with the other driver regarding their actions.

6 hours ago, JZH said:

Squeezing is when you're alongside them and they move into the place where you already are.  

JZH is correct.  Neither of these incidents even comes close to getting sqeezed out of a lane.    Again, by experience, I've had 14 and 15 year old children do a better job reading traffic and intention and reacting better during their instructional period.   As I see it, both of these situations required nothing more that rolling off throttle and maybe a covering of the brake lever.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Lee 2002 said:

Don't lump me in, I do not agree.   While the semi-tractor and the CR-V were in violation of the letter-of-the-law, so was Gator by his own admission of speeding.  Gator inserted himself into both his percieved situations.

I didn't say they were in violation of anything, I said they were in the wrong. Which they were because they either didn't make their intentions known, the CR-V, or they did it after the fact, the semi.

AFAIC if you're on the road with other traffic, you let the other traffic know what you're going to do. Not doing so puts you in the wrong, regardless of what the other traffic is doing. It's the

old "Two wrongs don't make a right", however three lefts do. :beer:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

I don't understand all the rancor, we all agree that the semi and the CR-V were in the wrong. The semi started moving over before signalling and the

CR-V never did signal. The only disagreement is the definition of "Squeezing out of your lane". Most of us feel there was sufficient warning to allow for

a non-panic lane change in both cases with open lanes to move to.

And personally I hate this stupid phrase "butt hurt". It's insulting and serves no purpose other than to be insulting. Civil discourse means just that: civil.

Precisely.  There's no legal definition of the phrase "squeezed out of lane" and no one here has it copyrighted AFAIK.   I used it in a reasonable manner.  Obviously if a person suffers from having to commute and lane split in a hell hole (like LA for example) I would expect them to have a different perspective on what "squeezed out of lane" means.

• Member Contributer
On 7/15/2017 at 3:42 PM, FJ12Ryder said:

I didn't say they were in violation of anything, I said they were in the wrong. Which they were because they either didn't make their intentions known, the CR-V, or they did it after the fact, the semi.

AFAIC if you're on the road with other traffic, you let the other traffic know what you're going to do. Not doing so puts you in the wrong, regardless of what the other traffic is doing. It's the

old "Two wrongs don't make a right", however three lefts do. :beer:

leonardo-dicaprio-toast-amen-to-that.jpg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Nelix said:

Yes, you disagree with the parts that don't support your version of events, strange that.

As far as I can see, no one is agreeing events happened as you view them, yet you still are adamant you are correct.

Of course it is possible the rest of us are wrong, it's also possible that Donald Trump is a fantastic role model on how to treat women. Odds are about the same.....

mnzdxw.jpg

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, duccmann said:

Think GG with all his lack of riding skills and really the only turns he's accustomed to are on and off ramps--- we definitely need more videos of him just cruising around his neighborhood ??

SMH

Wouldn't last a day in the real world

Oh and more cow bell

bflj8.jpg

Archived