SEBSPEED cover on a 7th Gen

As some of you may recall, last summer I let my wife ride my 1200 for the first time and it didn’t end so well (link).  Thus began the process to replace all the damaged bits.  Most everything was done via a large purchase though Ron Ayers online catalog, but the scratched clutch cover got me thinking about the SEBSPEED Covers seen on other VFR generations.

A PM went out to @SEBSPEED and we got the ball rolling.  While Seb HAS done one other cover mod on a 1200, whoever ordered the other cover never reported back… it doesn’t count unless there are pictures right?  Since the 1200 clutch is a bit different than the 5/6 generations, I thought I would post up some more details.

Since I wasn’t quite sure what I would be dealing with or what sort of complications I would run into, I figured it was best to buy a new (pre-scratched) clutch cover and have it sent to Seb.  This way, my bike wasn’t down while I figured out the details.

My biggest challenge was the pressure plate.  As seen here, the 1200’s slipper clutch is held in with a C clip instead of 5 bolts as with other generations.
7ydxrvy.jpg

The problem isn’t really that the pressure plate is held in with a C clip, it’s that Honda went ahead and made the pressure plate and bearing a single piece.  They do not separeate (easily) like with other generations.  I’m sure someone with the right tools can separate the two, but I didn’t want to push my luck.

pioT5Dz.jpg

jXBeQdc.jpg

jqpaCZl.jpg

Powdercoating the pressure plate is out.  I’ve heard success stories about rattle canning the pressure plate, so I prepped the plate and rattle canned the snot out of it.

About this time, I’ve got my new unpainted clutch cover from Seb.  I had the eBay seller ship it directly to him, so I don’t have any before/after pictures, but Seb does some GREAT work (as can be read in MANY other posts).  My powdercoater commented that Seb welded the ring inside and out… Seb made the inside welds look just as good as the outside ones even though they will never be seen… so  :fing02:.

OUtZyIe.jpg

hTenhOA.jpg

Since I was having the new cover powdercoated, I wanted to try and match the OEM color as close as possible.  It’s not an exact match, but close enough since my old and new covers weren’t even quite the same color.  Jacobson’s Welding and Powder Coating out of the Twin Cities did a great job on the paint.

TgvSAC6.jpg

mc7bcoy.jpg

How did the install go?  With the right tools, it was cake.

Pull out all the bolts, a couple light taps with my handy rubber mallet, and the cover came right off.  I was expecting a 2 hour ordeal base off other experiences I’ve read.  Took me all of 15 minutes to get it done… and I was taking my time since I didn’t want to break anything.

Just watch out for the CKT sensor attached to the inside of the cover… don’t want to break that… (I swear the picture was in focus when I took the stupid shot)...

li8ItFK.jpg

7ydxrvy.jpg

Cover is off, swap out old pressure plate with new painted pressure plate.  I purchased a C clip tool specifically for this job… and boy am I glad I did.  Trying to use a needle nose like I’ve done for years is for the birds…

T5ELIph.jpg

A quick test fit with the new cover.

RwA9PeO.jpg

New gasket seal, replace bolts, torque everything to spec, and button everything up and you are all set!

RIJ7lL3.jpg

ZJ8yRlS.jpg

Sorry for the bad final pictures, I was really excited to take them in my dark garage… I’ll get better ones in the daylight.

If anyone is interested in doing the same mod, I have my scratched clutch cover, pressure plate and timing cover sitting in a box.  I plan on taking some pictures and putting up for sale over in the classifieds section.  I'm hoping it will help someone else out while recouping some of the cost of buying a cover off fleebay.

Archived