End of an Era - No More VFR?

didit

• Member Contributer
On 12/19/2017 at 1:41 PM, St. Stephen said:

I'm a little more optimistic. With a title-winning motogp V4 I figure sooner or later Honda will come out with a high-end production sporting V4, whether they call it a VFR or not. With Ducati moving their production engine configuration in line with their motogp, maybe Honda will follow?

In the meantime, I recently spotted an amazing Interceptor III prototype here in the Bay Area:

IMG_3657.JPG

LOL at that Interceptor!  I tend to agree with you St. Stephen, in fact I did a vid about 8 months ago (see below) on what I was calling the "V4 Renaissance" when news of the Panigale V4 started leaking.  I predict the VFR will live on!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/20/2017 at 2:19 PM, sfdownhill said:

Well, at least Honda is still making the VFR, even if it doesn't make sense for them to bring them to the states.

Here's an interesting take on the state of the motorcycle industry. It touches on failure to reach women riders (women riders raise kids who ride), the antiquated dealership model, and poor customer experience when visiting a dealership:

http://bit.ly/2CAzshg

That article and the people who wrote it, are spot on.  I am in my mid 30's and I have a lot of  younger friends who are very curious about getting a bike, but often run into a lot of the issues highlighted in that article.  Another big issue I have run into with my younger friends in their mid 20's is that the entry level bike market is pretty abysmal, but getting better.  If manufacturers went back to a simpler and more affordable UJM style bike, I think they would attract more riders from the younger crowd.  Let's see a 400-500cc twin, no bells and whistles, but just a decently sorted bike with an affordable options catalog that starts around $5000.  If you want proof of where the market is with Millennial bike buyers, look no further than the Grom/Z125 market, or the Supermoto market.  Cheap, simple, affordable, fun bikes that get good fuel economy.  The cheap part of that is an important factor.  As a whole, millennials are a far more frugal group of discerning spenders, and to many of them a motorcycle is not viewed as a legitimate form of transportation as it is a toy for having fun.  In my town, there is a very strong scene of younger riders, and one local dealership has taken it to heart and started to cater to that crowd, and their sales are better than ever.  

I recently got a lady friend of mine on a new Rebel 500, and she absolutely loves it.  I had to show her that using a bike can be very practical, and that while the initial entry cost can be expensive between the bike itself and the gear to be safe on the road, it ends up being cheaper if you are smart about it.  Plus, I have showed her the fun that can also be had when not doing the daily commute by going on a few rides with her and a couple of other friends to go see some sights, do some grilling at a park (panniers to the rescue), or doing breakfast/dinner runs - couple hour ride that ends at a diner or restaurant.

I still think the VFR will live on, but Honda, like every other bike manufacturer, is in the middle of a scramble to figure out their new market.  Big expensive bikes are slowly becoming the minority, and the sales reflect it.  Honda saw this coming a while ago, which is why the Grom, CB500F, and Rebel 300 and 500 are actually doing decently well on the sales floor.  Their price tags are appealing, and they are good solid bikes.

Just my opinion.....

I found the 06' VFR800A to be a great bike, but a bit anemic for me.  I liked the body style, but do not care for the looks of the latest models.  The v4 sounds good but not great for me.  If the bike was about a 100 pounds lighter I think I may have kept it.  However, because there is not the latest offering from Honda in North America, I won't think that implies it will not be back or perhaps an updated model in a few years.  I do know that progress is constant (for better or worse) and often our favorites will fade in the sunset.

I doubt I will ever purchase a new bike, but if I were to buy one tomorrow it would be an H2 SX SE.  That's probably about twice the price of a new VFR800.  And if I were to buy a beginner bike tomorrow it would be a Ninja 400 or CBR300R.  However, I'm in the position that cost is always a consideration, but not a show stopper.

As for the strength of the industry.  It does appears things are going downhill, but I think the strength of an industry isn't in those you have to talk into riding, rather those who will ride regardless.  Perhaps the great generations are a thing of the past!

The only main stream commercials about motorcycles are from GIECO. Honda and HD are the leaders in motorcycle recognition. They can turn things around if they wanted too. Honda did it in the '60's and can do it now if they wanted. Harley has two small bore bikes, but I've never seen one on the road yet. My local dealers are good people but mention social media and I get the "F*ck that!" look. I don't think random posts on FB count. I agree that autonomous cars will push motorcycles off the road. I'm not a business owner but I'd be worried about the next ten years.

Archived