Volt meter install - How To

phoenixfire

Howdy folks,

Had a bit of a frustrating time installing my volt meter so I'm sharing my experience so others don't have to feel the same pain.

First, here's what NOT to do.

DO NOT install your volt meter directly to the battery.  Although the meter I got says it draws a minuscule amount of power - after several days of not riding it drained the battery.  I'm sure if you ride everyday it wont be a problem, but why take the chance.

DO NOT touch the frame when you are installing a live wire.   I shorted out one of my fuses when testing one of the connections when the wire accidentally touched the frame.

Ok, now for the fun stuff.

1)  Decide on a mount location

2)  You will want to tie into an existing wire that is triggered by the ignition (eg. headlight, tail light).  That way the volt meter is not drawing any power when you're not riding. 

Decide where you will tie in your live wire (red) and leave enough wire to reach that spot.  I tied into the tail light and snaked the wire along the left fairing and under the gas tank.  

You want to ensure the wire you cut is the one that power runs through.  Check your wiring diagram if you have one, or use a voltage multi meter to test.

2a) Optional - connect a fuse switch to your red wire.  This will prevent a short in case of a faulty connection.

IMG_1691.thumb.JPG.37a2fd4737ee381ecb936c9fcf1503c6.JPG

3)  Using an x-acto knife strip the tail light wire about 1/4 inch in length of where you want to tie into.  Be careful to not cut the tail light wire.  The wire is small and in a cramped place so find someone with tiny hands (perhaps The Donald?) to help if you can't get in there.

4)  Wrap the red wire around the now stripped tail light wire.

5) Solder the connection.  Wrap it in electrical tape for good measure.

IMG_1690.thumb.JPG.11fca8edb5ea9d02bcc6764c71f11fca.JPG

6)  Connect the black wire to your negative battery terminal.  You'll need to get a solderless electrical terminal to attach to the end of the wire so you have a solid connection to the battery.

IMG_1689.thumb.JPG.256ab3761d0c8dc24f8f8f92b44135f2.JPG

7) Done!

IMG_1688.thumb.JPG.11dfa7ef5a40a22dbcba96c7ca774ac0.JPG

• Member Contributer
14 hours ago, phoenixfire said:

DO NOT install your volt meter directly to the battery.  Although the meter I got says it draws a minuscule amount of power - after several days of not riding it drained the battery.  I'm sure if you ride everyday it wont be a problem, but why take the chance.

I know that plenty of people do wire the voltmeters into the ignition switch but.........

- If you go direct to the battery with fuse on plus side (must) and micro switch in the loop, switch on before start and then you know  your fine (or not) With the ignition switch style, turning the key on hits the headlights, fuel pump etc. If there's a battery issue then, well your def screwed. With direct to battery, you might have a shot a doing something about a problem if there. 

Of course then, switch off when parking the bike. 

• Member Contributer

I just ran wires from my aux fuse box to my volt meter, comes on when I turn key on shuts off when I turn the key off, dunno sounds kinda easy to me.

hooking up the fuse box now that was a PITA, relays switched hots, battey leads grounds, could have rewired the whole bike faster lol

• Member Contributer

I have my voltmeter in a project box with a trailer plug. I can use the plug on the bike for it or the battery charger.

Archived