Chain replacement results

VRFing

I am new to this type of activity so excuse me if I am in the incorrect location to bring up this question.  I just purchased a 6th generation VFR800 with 15K and the chain looked to be needing replacement as it was easily outside of the wear indicator and had some tight spots and very loose sections. Installed a new chain and sprockets, all stock no change in gearing, and installed a DID chain.  Well, all is together and after tightening the chain to just over the suggested 1 inch play the sprocket is at the very end of the wear indicator.  I would have expected it to move up closer to the green range.   The chain is the correct length at 110 links and both sprockets where the same size, I placed one on top of the other to ensure that the circumference was the same on both. Any thoughts on what other items I could check?  Thanks in advance for any help or guidance  you can offer.   Note: I currently have the rear wheel off because I am replacing the rear brake pads at the same time, just in case this may play in the fact that the swing arm maybe at a different angle without this additional weight.

• Member Contributer

I would recount the number of links very carefully; sounds like the new chain is 2-links longer than the OEM. There's no issue with using it like that provided you have enough adjustment left in the eccentric to maintain the right slack as it stretches. 

Or maybe someone has moved the wear indicator sticker?

• Member Contributer

Standard 6th gen chain is 110 links (count to make sure that's what you got). And sprockets F/R are 16/43 (OEM front preferred IMO).  

You may be judging the wear indicator incorrectly... (I really don't use that indicator for rear sprocket position at all - too subjective.)  And your measurement of play may be off. (I'd suggest to adjust to the high end).

Likely the chain is ok and if there are no tight spots and if it is not over tight - you are good to go.

• Member Contributer

The wear indicator for a chain is useless.  Check your rear hub is the correct way up. It should have the axle at the bottom, some people turn it over if they are short of leg.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but am having the same problem.

Even bought a second chain after shortening the 1st and 108 links being too short. bought a DID 530 chain with 110 teeth(this)

Have counted the chain twice and changed both sprockets with the stock number of teeth(16/43). 

Once the eccentric has been adjusted to max I only just get within tension.

• Member Contributer

Something is not right.

There is huge amounts of adjustment on the exentric.

You can't have a problem with 108 being too short and 110 being too long as there is more adjustment then this available.

I've even used a 45 tooth sprocket instead of the 43 without extending the chain with no problems.

i'm gonna take the wheel off this weekend and make sure there is no dirt in the way. maybe i'm missing something obvious. 110 is the recommended length so i'm shocked it don't fit tbh but if 108 fits i'll take it.

5 hours ago, Splinkter said:

maybe i'm missing something obvious.

Sounds like a good possibility.

Hope you have your Doh! moment and figure it out soon.