87 700F Clutch Master Issues

THRASHED

I have rebuilt my clutch master cylinder a couple of times now. First with a cheap kit, then with a more OEM listed one (probably the same thing with different packaging). Anyway, I am again seeing the fluid turn dark and I get leak down when the clutch is pulled in.  What I mean by that is that when I am sitting at a light the engagement slowly changes until it is so far out that if I don't catch it the bike stalls.  This bike set for 18 years in a garage before I got it so I'm thinking there may be some corrosion inside the bore.  I have cleaned it with a green scotch brite pad using DOT4 as a lubricant and it certainly looks clean but it may be possible that there are some pores I can't see that are causing abrasion on the rubber plunger. 

I'm going to flush it again this weekend, but I'm now considering trying to source a new master cylinder.  I've seen some info on checking for similar bore sizes but has anyone has luck with a newer Interceptor master on their older bike?

Thanks,

Scott

• Member Contributer

18 years, man someone couldn't have been that busy not to ride.....oh well, great find!
Fluid turning dark? Is that in the reservoir? Either rust, but casing is Ali/magnesium, so must be the rubber plunger breaking down. Does it feel tacky when you remove it? It shouldn't! Does the internal sleave feel rough enough that it will wear plunger that quickly? What about the slave cylinder on the motor? Finally, is it bled properly....clutches are not like brakes, takes a lot to get all the air out as the clutch does not offer solid resistance. Advice here is to remove slave cylinder and place a clamp over it to stop movement there. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

AFAIK most Honda clutch masters use the same bore size. If you look up the part number for the VFR700 master piston kit, you wiil find the following bikes all use the same piece, so finding a used replacement should be very easy:

Thanks to you both.  I have a vacuum bleeder and have bled it with the slave off of the bike while rotating it. I flushed it again today but thanks a lot Terry for that list.  I saw threads mentioning how to look that up but haven't had time to do it.  Looks like I have a few options. 

Has Forbes said check your slave cylinder. Dismantle and clean it thoroughly. Get a new rubber seal and piston if its badly worn while your at it. you ill be surprised ho much crap gets in there and the seal does deteriorate over time. 

Archived