4th Gen header removal

auggius

• Member Contributer

I'm about to remove (or try) to remove the exhaust header on my 4th gen to fix an exhaust leak. Pretty sure it's coming from the rear headers. Has anybody done this on a 4th gen that can provide some useful tips, hints, etc?

I'm going to to guess you have the stock header. First thing is making sure all the nuts will come free. Anything that looks like it could be corroded should be sprayed, PB Blaster or Aerokroil are my two favorite. Take all the panels below the headlights off, then disconnect the muffler. Unbolt the front pipes first. Once those are out of the way you can unbolt the rear half at the flange behind the brake master cylinder. The bolts on the rear of the engine can be a pain. A 1/4" ratchet with various length extensions and a universal joint help a lot.

• Member Contributer

Yep it's stock and corroded. The service manual says to remove the centrestand and right footpeg stay. Is that really needed in your experience?

• Member Contributer

Darn. I was hoping there might be an easier way. Did you need the bike to be upright for exhaust removal, ie can it be done with bike on its sidestand? I don't want to buy a rear stand if I don't need it.

Yea its a B of sorts, best like you're doing, get a good idea what you're in for.  and on a side note, I found it easier to remove the rear wheel and while at it take then the shock too,  makes for getting in there where you can work,  as those header studs need to be watched so they won't break off, doesn't take much. Good luck 

• Member Contributer

That means needing a way to hold the bike up with the rear wheel removed. I've removed the shock a few times to get the Ohlins serviced but I could rely on the centrestand for that. I guess there's a reason why I've avoided doing this for 3 years.

• Member Contributer

Chances are that one of the rear header studs will break (from the section that sits between engine and rear headers)

Which means welding a new bolt on.

• Member Contributer

And you donot HAVE to remove the centrestand or right peg. Will make matters a bit easier though (but more work)

34 minutes ago, Dutchy said:

Yes I think you can wiggle it in/out.

You just have to do it slow,then fast, then slow, then fast, fast, fast! Right Leon?   Full disclosure...I've never owned a fourth gen.

• Member Contributer

Control,

it is ALL about control......................

• Member Contributer

I am, not sure about this Sweeper character.... :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I started to respond in my thread about the leaking thermostat housing and removing the PAIR components.....then put it here.  May read a bit strange....

Removal of the center stand is only required to completely remove the exhaust headers.

And yes the rear shock must be removed....just no way to get to the rear tubes with shock in place.  Battery heat shield, move rear coils and starter relay to the side, rubber mat.

Also need to remove the two hex head bolts for the right side foot peg.  No need to break the rear hydraulics, just need to be able to push out of the way.

I also removed the right side passenger peg and of course the muffler and pipe.

Next will be to remove the three nuts on the rear tubes collector.  These gave me alot of problem as the bolt threads are gulled-up due to heat cycles.  I had not planned on removing the rear tubes but had to so I could re-thread these three bolts.  I did find that all the tube collars were not all that tight so I had no danger of breaking a stud.  Then you can get to the rear tubes and remove them....they are welded together.

There are gaskets in the head for each tube.

I did all of this with the bike on the center stand.  Oh and I removed the rear wheel, just gives you more room to get at those bolts.

Hopefully you will not be doing this when it is 107°F in the garage when I was.....

• Member Contributer

Thanks, this is great. I bought all the gaskets necessary for full removal. If I'm lucky it's just the rear headers that need to be removed. But good to hear I don't need to remove the centrestand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

What to provide some updated info; the header can be completely removed WITHOUT removing the center stand, I did this last weekend.  Take the front tubes off, break the joint at the rear connection and then the header can be easily removed, just slides through the center stand.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the info. I've been procrastinating but I hope to get a start on it this week. I've got all the gaskets if needed so hopefully it will go smoothly. It won't I'm sure.

• Member Contributer

I just got through putting the exhaust system back on.  

1. Put the rear tubes in place but just start the four collar nuts, do not tighten them down.

2. Mate the rear joint and also just start the three nuts.

3.  Now go back and tighten down the collar nuts on the rear tubes.....little on each one at at time.

4. Put the front tubes in place and tighten down the collar nuts

5. Tighten the rear joint

6. Tighten the two clamps for the front tubes.

I used some high temp sealant on the four cylinder gaskets to keep them in place, otherwise they just fell out.  I did not have to use any on the rear joint gaskets.  I got everything back together and think I will let the sealant cure for 24 hours before I start the engine.

Good luck with yours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

@Lannyl81 I started on this project today. Fairings, tank, muffler, rear wheel & shock removed; right footpeg assembly removed and moved aside. 

The 3 nuts on the rear tube plate were easy to remove. Almost too easy. I was wondering if simply tightening them down further would solve my problem. I'm tempted to put the tank and battery on to give it a try. Could save myself a lot of time and grief.

I have the clamps loosened under the bike between the rear collector and front tubes. But I can't remove the rear collector because the centrestand is in the way. How did you do it?

IMG_1546.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

• Member Contributer

I've come to that conclusion, thanks. But I'm also stuck at trying to access the outer nut on the right rear header tube. Maybe I'll be able to get to it with the rear collector removed. But looking (way) ahead to reinstalling, I need to be able to get to it with everything in place. I just don't see how that's possible.

I just need to step away from this for a while. I'm at the point still where I can say f*** it and just put everything back together and live with a loud exhaust.

• Member Contributer

Got back on the job today, some wins :-), some losses :-(

Good news, I got the remaining nut off the rear exhaust. I managed to wiggle my hand in there with a 1/4" socket drive and blindly loosen the nut. So fresh off of that victory I proceeded to remove the nuts from the front headers. This is where the bad news comes in. Three came off with the stud, but one sheared the stud. Crap. But at least I've got all the nuts off to take off the exhaust, except it's frozen at the joint under the bike between the rear collector pipes and front headers. I tried a bit of gentle persuasion with a hammer, and some Liquid Wrench. Still stuck. That's it for today.

Archived