1986 vf 500

Blake

Is the 1986 vf 500 better than previous years? Not sure which year had the cam oiling problem. I've been looking around for a 1986 to play with but don't want to blow it up or have lubrication problems. 

Thanks

Blake

• Member Contributer

Loaded question there...

Typically the 86 is seen as slightly more refined.  Line bored cams being prob the most important difference.  

Now is it susceptible to cam proplems?  Maybe.  Whatever.  Big old topic widely debated with usually anecdotal evidence.  

Read, read.   Then read more.  Then go into it with info and have fun.

I own a few.  I have raced one.  They need love.  But they give back nicely usually.  But when they protest, usually not pretty.

• Member Contributer

That's an aftermarket fairing.  And yes, the 86 was the best one....because it was my first bike.  :cool:

Well, I promise there was a pic of an 86 with an aftermarket fairing and after I replied it was gone.  :unsure:

IMG_1099.thumb.PNG.6cf749a26941d090f4b0e5e37869cb9c.PNGThanks Captain. Check out this pic of a 1986 vf500f. Is it supposed to,have a lower fairing? It looks like an add on to me. What say ye?

• Member Contributer
Loaded question there...

Typically the 86 is seen as slightly more refined.  Line bored cams being prob the most important difference.  

Now is it susceptible to cam proplems?  Maybe.  Whatever.  Big old topic widely debated with usually anecdotal evidence.  

Read, read.   Then read more.  Then go into it with info and have fun.

I own a few.  I have raced one.  They need love.  But they give back nicely usually.  But when they protest, usually not pretty.

So eloquently put without revealing to much....I found an '85 that needs a full rebuild, haven't even looked at the motor(oops). The '86 also came with a bigger sump, so more oil!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I had a Lockhart-Phillips lower cowl.  I eventually decided I liked to look at the motor more than the fairing.  If I had an F2 like Dutchy, it would have been a different story. :)

Archived