OEM vs Remus vs Delkevic

tbzep

• Member Contributer

I've had my Remus exhaust since about 2004 or 2005.  I bought an Anniversary VFR nearly two years ago and never found a used set of Remus or Leo Vince cans.  I'm sick of hearing (or not hearing) the sewing machine OEM cans so I bought a Delkevic set this week.  I installed them this evening.  I've recorded a few seconds of the OEM cans compared to Remus, and then a second recording of Remus compared to Delkevic without the dB killers.  In the first video the bikes were out in the middle of the garage and the second, they were against the wall so that by itself makes the bikes sound a bit different.  My opinion is that the Remus cans are a little deeper, the Delkevic cans are slightly louder, a little more raspy, and will pop on occasion.  The Remus cans are beautiful, the Delkevics look ok but I'd rather the can be two or three inches longer and slide farther back.  I may cut an inch or so off the Y pipe so the Delkevics will sit a little deeper in the seat.  I think it will help them look better.

Remus and OEM  (FYI, that's an under water body recovery bag in the plastic.  lol)

I think they both sound good, but the Remus website didn't show any current products for an 03 VFR. What they did have looked to be quite a bit more expensive than the Delkivic slip ons. Im probably still going to be looking at them.  I'll probably go with the straight stainless ones and not the carbon tho

• Member Contributer

The Delkevic set is what I just purchased.  I already own the Remus cans and just included them for comparison.  They sound similar to Leo Vince which are more common on VFR's.  I bought the Remus exhaust a year or two before Leo Vince came out with the VFR exhaust.  Remus doesn't make them for the VFR anymore.  Nor does Leo Vince, afik.  Leo's are gold in the USA and Remus is platinum.  Both are pretty, both are expensive, and Remus is about 10 times more rare.  ;)

A friend of mine has a Leo Vince on his 06. Sounds pretty good, but it's still pretty quiet.  And you're right, they're not made any more.  As far as Remus goes, I had never even heard of them before this thread :)

• Member Contributer

Remus is Austrian.  I see them on a lot of BMW's.  There isn't much difference in volume of the Remus and Delkevic cans until you get up around 5k rpm and the Delkevics start becoming noticeably louder.  Check with your friend.  IIRC, Leo's come with a removable dB killer. 

• Member Contributer

Due to circumstances beyond my control, it has taken me a full week before I could test ride the new Delkevic equipped VFR.  While at idle or even revving to 3-5 rpm on the centerstand, the Delkevics are a little louder than the Remus cans, but not that much.  However, in gear and out on the road, they open up!  When the motor is under stress, the sound gets deeper and more raspy and when the next two valves start opening, the things get loud.  Maybe D&D loud...it's been over 10 years since I've heard a 5th gen with a D&D so don't quote me on that.  So, those of you that have heard Leo Vince will know about how my Remus pipes sound and can compare to the Delkevic without dB killers. 

• Member Contributer

That sounds great!  I love the sound of the Delk on my 8th gen too - much deeper rumble at idle and it sounds glorious when it revs.  It also shaved just over 7 pounds of weight compared to the stock muffler and it adds almost 3 hp at the wheel if I can believe the dyno chart on Delk's website (see below).  My butt dyno tells me the bike is a bit quicker but it could just be psychological cuz of the sound - LOL.  Here's a vid where you can hear mine both off the bike and while riding:

product5147_27p.jpg

• 7 months later...

Archived