Pipe/Exhaust advice

Garville

Yea those rear flanges are in a tight spot, in one of my cases it was actually easier to not only remove the rear wheel,  but the shock as well.

DSCF0973_zpsrrpopdo8.jpg 

Yea I know not all that user friendly,  but when it comes to damage control in what could be worse,  it was worth the extra.

14 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

Does anyone know who does ceramic coating in the middle Tennessee area? I may have to go that route as well.688c0828d640dbb73f7d4ccd78bfd0c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Whoasier,  those have seen better days.  I'm not in Tenn. But if I where in your shoes,  I'd be looking for a another header.  coating that one is just a band-aid.. Just saying.

• Member Contributer

My headers said to tell you their feelings were hurt. They have been in existence since 1998 and have been through a lot.

• Member Contributer

There is a set of 5th gen headers for sale in the classifieds (Mr. John).  They are in perfect condition with less than 5K miles on them (I know, because they are off of my former bike which I sold to him).

• Member Contributer

Thanks. New to the site - how do i access the classifides?

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, interceptor69 said:

Thanks. New to the site - how do i access the classifides?

Click 'Browse'> Forums. Scroll Down and find the classified link and click. Or follow this lead...VFRD Classifieds

• Member Contributer

Found 'em.  Am I to assume the '98 header and the '99 are exact matches?  They look very well preserved.

• Member Contributer

Yes, the 98 and 99 are exact matches. I believe that I took them off at around 3.5K, and they sat in storage for the past 17 years until I sold them to John 

along with the bike this spring. He's a good guy....contact him and I'm sure you can work out the shipping details.

• Member Contributer

Thanks- I just sent him a message.  Can you give me some advice about ceramic coating them?  I like the look of the ceramic coated headers but have little idea about protection/longevity/durability of finish etc.  Is it common to coat older headers as "insurance" against what happened to my original set?

• Member Contributer

I can't answer that...ceramic coating is not my area of expertise.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, slo1 said:

Cerakote FTW :) just had a 2bros 4th gen header done, awesome. Pics in a bit...

I like Cerakote and have it on my rifle BUT I would be interested to see the longevity of it applied to the headers.  Jet-Hot has a lifetime warranty too :)

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, Jon28 said:

I like Cerakote and have it on my rifle BUT I would be interested to see the longevity of it applied to the headers.  Jet-Hot has a lifetime warranty too :)

Time will tell. We have a set of headers on a Hawk that were coated 1 year ago and look new, but long term is unknown..... I tried it since the shop is next to my office, the nearest Jet Coat is 50 miles away.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:29 AM, slo1 said:

Time will tell. We have a set of headers on a Hawk that were coated 1 year ago and look new, but long term is unknown..... I tried it since the shop is next to my office, the nearest Jet Coat is 50 miles away.

Cool keep us updated man!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Made a  little progress since last on. Engineering shop machined and fitted a new pipe end above the collector box and also tig welded a new end onto the muffler. Honda gasket fits perfect into muffler so just need to get a new clamp to seal the deal as the diameter eternally now is 61mm compared to the original 55mm. All in all happy with the result and it shoukd keep me going for some time to come.....be glad to get it back on the road. Riding it without a muffler was fun though!!????

20170720_220736.jpg

20170720_220157.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ha, I found someone who had exactly the same issue as mine.  When I tried to remove the rear tire, I found that the joint where the header piper cluster and the exhaust can joined was rusted out as OP showed in his pictures. It  appears that most of header pipes and 4-in-1 sections rusted badly. 

Archived