Pipe/Exhaust advice

Garville

Hi all,

removed my rear wheel to get a new tyre on and when I was turning the exhaust to the side,

the pipe broke off. I'm sure some of you have experienced this before and I was looking for

advice to fix this issue.

I was considering using a stainless exhaust adapter like this https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/stainless-steel-exhaust-sleeve-adapter-55mm-od-to-25-id-no-longer-available/002497ecs01a/  but advice would be greatly appreciated if any of you tried an different method. 

Thanks, Garville.

20170601_181439.thumb.jpg.abe66ced115c55a23472a2e273e2673f.jpg20170601_181408_001.thumb.jpg.406fb45085904d8eca4c0f8b82a5c605.jpg

20170601_181608.thumb.jpg.c52ffad0fae3b8f6fe51195166bde5d9.jpg

20170601_181421.thumb.jpg.f0d1f25ad1a8e2ea3ea4c26cc9073754.jpg

20170601_181532.jpg

• Member Contributer

dang...  for my 2 cents, I'd suggest replacing the system...  if your header is rotted, so much that it crumbled off like that, then an adapter like you've mentioned is barely more than a band-aid....       holes will be showing soon enough.. 

Ooo,  sorry man,  this is if it's even on the side of fixing,  you'll need to get it off,  from that you'll know more if replacing the whole header is what it's going to take. No welding shop I know of will touch that. 

• Member Contributer

See if you can find a decent set of OEM headers and have them ceramic coated. Although if you have the catalytic converter, you might look for the 00-01 headers if you don't plan on using a PCV or resistors on the O2 sensor leads. Or you can have O2 bungs welded on before you ceramic coat them.

I had this set of 98-99 headers I got for less than $100 and had them ceramic coated for about $235. Not only do these weigh slightly less, the primary pipes are larger too. You can barely make out in this photo where I had the O2 bungs welded on.

NOTE: Since the primary pipes on these are larger than the 00-01, any gaskets and/or clamps should be bought for that year header.

IMG_3386_zpsmvf65bsx.jpg

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RVFR said:

Ooo,  sorry man,  this is if it's even on the side of fixing,  you'll need to get it off,  from that you'll know more if replacing the whole header is what it's going to take. No welding shop I know of will touch that. 

We don't all have such hoity-toity welding shops in our neighborhood :wink:  I've seen some heinous things done to motorcycle exhausts here in harley country.  Do they last?  We can hope not.

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, MadScientist said:

We don't all have such hoity-toity welding shops in our neighborhood :wink:  I've seen some heinous things done to motorcycle exhausts here in harley country.  Do they last?  We can hope not.

The shop I took my headers to do the O2 bungs, did it for $40 and on the same day. He drilled the holes too. I've seen places not want to do any drilling or other modifications to components but would do the welding portion. This guy seemed like he would do just about anything muffler related as long as you had the cash.

The hic up with his is the rusted out de funk metal, nothing there to add to. I agree might as well look for a 98-99 header sooner than later.

Hi all,

removed my rear wheel to get a new tyre on and when I was turning the exhaust to the side,
the pipe broke off. I'm sure some of you have experienced this before and I was looking for
advice to fix this issue.

I was considering using a stainless exhaust adapter like this https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/stainless-steel-exhaust-sleeve-adapter-55mm-od-to-25-id-no-longer-available/002497ecs01a/  but advice would be greatly appreciated if any of you tried an different method. 

Thanks, Garville.

20170601_181439.thumb.jpg.abe66ced115c55a23472a2e273e2673f.jpg20170601_181408_001.thumb.jpg.406fb45085904d8eca4c0f8b82a5c605.jpg
20170601_181608.thumb.jpg.c52ffad0fae3b8f6fe51195166bde5d9.jpg
20170601_181421.thumb.jpg.f0d1f25ad1a8e2ea3ea4c26cc9073754.jpg

20170601_181532.thumb.jpg.ed64355967004b6c471098eab85489b2.jpg

Hate to say it..but after 2 months with a similar pipe and lots of repairs I eventually purchases delkevic stainless headers. It's not worth spending £5 on headers like this. Shame Honda didn't fit stainless in the first place!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Huh... No easy fix there... Stainless headers are your best bet. For the price of new wheels you've got delkevic ones. Good luck. Keep us updated.
Trying to fix that is going to hurt your time, head and budget more than just buy another one.
https://www.ebay.es/itm/170958059553

This is something I will be very interested in.

My 84 magna had straight pipes when I bought it and I replaced those with a stock collector but man those things are hard to find where they aren't all rusted out. The flanges that the pipes slip onto both broke off so I had no mufflers beyond the collector. Because the collector does most of the baffling it wasn't too loud thankfully.

Shy of having someone I know try and actually reproduce them I have no clue what to do.

I will definitely grab some of those stainless headers before they become a rarity

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

The silencer end is easy to fix but cutting the existing, partially rusted flange off, and weld a sleeve of the right diameter onto it.

As others have said, the headers/collector is toast.

Thanks for the advice in which you all agree my headers are toast ?

I will do a quick job for now to keep me going and suss out getting a set of Delkevic headers because they look amazing! 

Is fitting them a diy job because I'm guessing the old headers are troublesome to remove, especially if bolts corroded etc. Might be best to drop it to a shop to have it done.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Garville said:

I will do a quick job for now to keep me going and suss out getting a set of Delkevic headers because they look amazing! 

Is fitting them a diy job because I'm guessing the old headers are troublesome to remove, especially if bolts corroded etc. Might be best to drop it to a shop to have it done.

Depending on your skill level, tools available and if you have a lift or not, the headers are not that hard to install, the removal process will most likely be the tougher part, mostly for the fore mentioned concern, i.e."corroded" bolts. It didn't take too much effort to remove mine but I didn't have any corrosion or issues separating the rear primaries.

As far as when installing the header, my suggestion is to have ALL the pieces ready to mount and get everything to align properly before tightening any bolts up.

• Member Contributer
36 minutes ago, RVFR said:

Yo D,  should you sell him this set I have here? ;)

No, that sets for my 6 Gen. Speaking of which, are you done with them?

It's likely that the nuts that hold the pipes into the heads (front in particular) will be corroded. Spray them with some plusgas a number of times over a few days prior to removing them, in order to prevent the studs that the nuts fit onto, from snapping. It's quite likely that the studs will be removed along with the nuts as well, but that's ok. 

It's not a particularly difficult job (a bit messy) - if your pipes have a nut and bolt that hold the collector onto the underside of the bike, this is a bit fiddly to undo/tighten up. When installing, the trick is to fit everything loosely, then tighten up a bit at a time.

15 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

No, that sets for my 6 Gen. Speaking of which, are you done with them?

Yep,  they are in the box ready,  just had to wait for the timing,  being one I was down south, :)  second,  I've had a shit load to do when we got back here. I should have em outa here in the next couple days, then they'll  be headed your way.    BTW, Mucho thanks

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, Garville said:

fairly easy job.   shame you aren't stateside/closer - I have a set of 2k headers sitting in garage..  yea, I know, no help.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RVFR said:

Yep,  they are in the box ready,  just had to wait for the timing,  being one I was down south, :)  second,  I've had a shit load to do when we got back here. I should have em outa here in the next couple days, then they'll  be headed your way.    BTW, Mucho thanks

No worries. Whenever you get the chance. I hope they were of some use to you.

• Member Contributer

Does anyone know who does ceramic coating in the middle Tennessee area? I may have to go that route as well.688c0828d640dbb73f7d4ccd78bfd0c6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 2017-6-6 at 8:50 PM, Burns said:

fairly easy job.   shame you aren't stateside/closer - I have a set of 2k headers sitting in garage..  yea, I know, no help.

Ok so I tried to remove the old headers and the nuts for the rear left flange at engine mount is tricky as hell to get at, never mind removing it. After dosing the nuts in loosening spray over a number of days I managed to loosen all nuts but one which with an easy turn snapped off with the stud?. 

I'm going to try an alternative fix for now.  Failing that, its off to a motorcycle garage cus it aint an easy diy job unfortunately. Also went to a local engineering workshop and they said if I could remove header pipes its an easy fix.....hence why I was trying to remove them. Plan B so.

Archived