Replace '97 with a '01????

• Member Contributer
44 minutes ago, vegaquark said:

You've got to explain yourself or die emoji23.png

Basically, I'm not crazy about the looks. 

Come at me bad boy ! :tongue:

Gregor_Clegane_4x07.thumb.jpg.41b8e50c9e7d6d249912a524cdbbb019.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

A carburettor bank is a thing of beauty. 

GDC's are unnecessary. 

And the 5th Gen still looks like a scared, obese blowfish so, there ! :tongue:

Stick with the 4th gen. seeing as you've done some mods.    Apart from possibly the Fi I don't see any improvement over the 4 the gen.  Heavier bike, 2 rads. and linked brakes.  Really where's the improvement?   As for aftermarket parts I don't see any problem.  Right now in Ontario there are two 4th gens.  for sale for $2400 Canadian.  One with only 15 thousand miles and the other with not much more.  Of all the bikes I've owned my 1995 has to be my favourite.  Given the choice of keeping my Gsxr1000 or my 4th gen. without a doubt I'd keep my 95.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, VFR750 said:

Apart from possibly the Fi I don't see any improvement over the 4 the gen.  Heavier bike, 2 rads. and linked brakes.  Really where's the improvement?

The brakes may be linked but they are actually a major improvement over the 4th Gen, IMO. Also, sharper steering. 

I couldn't care less about the EFI, personally. It keeps the EPA happy and that is its sole virtue as far as I'm concerned. 

Said as someone who does not even like the 5th Gen and who is not selling or trading his 4th Gen. Ever. :wub:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, mcrwt644 said:

Had ONE 5th gen....HATED every stinkin minute on it.  I'll never buy anything other than a fourth to ride and thirds to rebuild

I wonder why it is touted as one of the best motorcycles ever made... I'd guess a lot more folks get along with it than don't.

• Member Contributer

Ordered my 4th gen late 1997. 

2 weeks later, the 5th gen was announced; the dealer was adamant that he had not known...

I looked at the pictures and for me it was clear; I  would stick to my initial order.

Is/was the 5th gen a "bad" bike? No! 

Ugly? No!

a true VFR? Yes!

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....

Mind you, there is ALWAYS room for improvement.... :goofy:

damvfr.jpg.ed5dce5c38e7dbfaa19df2d41bf63763.jpg

I think the truth is that there is no such thing as a bad VFR750/800 - every single one of them have their pro's and con's - so it is always going to come down to personal preference. I've always had a hankering for 3rd/4th gens, the 5th gen is generally regarded as a sportier version and the 6th even more so while the RC24's the purer choice. Some like CBS and FI, some like underseat exhausts.... don't hear so many people say they prefer VTEC but that engine has been around longer than GDC's now so it must be doing something right.

If Honda could've done a 1000cc V4 GDC engine, USD forks, underseat exhausts, digi-dash and kept it under 200kg/450lbs we'd still be debating if it was the ultimate model or not...

Hmmm, i'll pick my 5th, swap forks for a rc51, swap subframe and exhaust for a 6th gen , drop a powercommander in and get rid of pair and linked brakes.
If you want it even lighter you can use alu steering custom alu cluster holder alu sprokets and plastic fuel tank
There is always room for improvement.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, vegaquark said:

There is always room for improvement. emoji12.png

You forgot to ditch the frame and that overweight SSSA. :laugh:

Also, @CandyRedRC46 will no doubt be around soon to explain how superior the Rapid Bike modules are to Power Commander's. :wink:

Y'all don't like the 5th gen styling? It's one of my favorites. If I can ever have ten bikes in my garage (only because my 8th already fulfills the same purpose), it'd be one of them because of the styling. The tail is a little fat, but I like it otherwise.

2 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

Y'all don't like the 5th gen styling? It's one of my favorites. If I can ever have ten bikes in my garage (only because my 8th already fulfills the same purpose), it'd be one of them because of the styling. The tail is a little fat, but I like it otherwise.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of it I'm afraid. I think the front looks a bit flabby. The jowels of the the front fairing where the line should be nice and taught from headlamp to bellypan kind of.... sags IMHO - not helped by the side-mounted radiators I suppose. Nowhere near as bad as the Yammy Thunderace/cat but still.

And once someone had described to me that the rear panels looked like a scooter, I never quite saw it in the same way again...

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

Y'all don't like the 5th gen styling? It's one of my favorites.

Words come to mind like: 

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder", "To each their own" or "Jesus man, get your eyes examined !". :laugh: :tongue:

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

[...] it seems to be very similar to the 4th to me.

Blasphemy ! :ohmy: :pissed:

Behead the infidel ! Flog him to death ! :beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jhenley17 said:

Taking donations to make a fair comparison.

Now you're talking. 

Unfortunately, I seem to have mislaid my wallet. Sorry. :pinocchio:

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

My last bike before the 5G was an RF900; I thought the VFR looked quite slim!

PICTURE 032a.JPG

• 5 months later...
On 24/05/2017 at 1:53 PM, atx said:

... might as well get the ABS. Proven accident reduction rates, ...

I know I'm going to regret this, but I couldn't let it pass. Exactly what 'proof' are you talking about?

In the car world the 'proof' is that after a brief reduction when ABS became mandatory, it then climbed back to approx. the original rate and is now known to have had no effect on the overall accident rate at all and so simply cost everyone a lot of money.

I've not seen any figures either way regarding bikes, but I very much doubt it'll be any different to cars.

As some of you will know I dislike ABS only slightly less than I hate being forced to have it. I have my reasons. What disturbs me is the gullibility of so many motorcyclists. When I have mentioned elsewhere about removing ABS from a bike, it is invariably met with cries of doom and gloom and statements that I'm signing my own death warrant, yet no matter how you misread or distort the statistics, that is manifestly not true, or anything close. How can I possibly then have survived my last 50 years of riding motorcycles. All with NO ABS, shock, horror.

Motorists drive/ride according to their own personal level of risk. Reduce that in some way and they compensate by raising it in some other way, like riding faster, or braking later, relying on the ABS and in my considered opinion, riding a bike well does not mean relying on a lot of electronics to do it for you. I've never yet had any electronic device that didn't fail, yet we are supposed to trust that the ABS will miraculously leap into life after years of doing nothing, without fail and save your life. If it is regularly being exercised when you ride then either it is being too cautious and hence not well designed, or you're riding beyond what the conditions require. Google it. Old ABS systems fail. Not all, but there's a huge number of older cars with a bit of tape over the warning light because to replace the failed ABS module costs more than the car is worth. Yet so many motorcyclists seem to have faith that even in the far harsher conditions of a motorcycle, the ABS will fare better? Really? Well, give it another 20 years and we'll see.

Ok, enough. If you like ABS, fine. Honda have a self balancing motorcycle, you'll probably like that too. In the meantime, I've yet to see any proof that ABS is anything more than an expensive complication.

Regarding the looks of various VFR models, I think Honda reached the pinnacle with the 4th Gen, but I don't hear any complaints about the 6th Gen. which surprises me. Typically for Honda the rear end looks great, but the front of the fairing? The VFR1200F has come in for a lot of stick about its looks, but IMO the front of the 6th Gen is even worse. However that's not to denigrate either bike as they're both great, but Honda appear to enjoy pushing the boundaries of taste with their motorcycle design/style and then seem to be surprised at the lack of love they receive. yet it's so simple to fix. Apart from removing the ABS. That's a real PIA :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I know Ken & he is very anti electronic safety aids & I don't particularly disagree, why have a 200hp bike that can't be ridden without the electronics by the average jo ?  But adds 50% to the cost said machine.  Why is it late 90's/early 2000's 1000cc models weighed <170Kg with 150Hp & no electronics, but todays 1000's boast 30-50hp more but weigh in at 30-40Kg more ?  All down to electronics & the heavy protective shells they need to survive the bikes limited protective capabilty & more arduous environment.

I'd rather have a CBR954RR weighing 125Kg wet, than a YZF-M1 weighing 200Kg wet, that extra 75Kg will be there always, it will over work the tyres, it will limit your corner speed, it will do many bad things just by existing. The current tech race will lead to un usable bikes in the future, which go into limp mode, when abs sensors rings for traction control etc fail, as they age or corrode over time.

I'd rather have ABS for the one time I might need it, than not have it & crash. But as Ken says EVERYONE pays for it, but only a tiny fraction ever use it. When you walk on the rim of a tall building you are very cautious, when you walk on the same rim, with either a safety net below or safety harness to stop you falling you are less concerned & less cautious, this is just a human reaction trait.

YPYMATYP

7 hours ago, Mohawk said:

I know Ken & he is very anti electronic safety aids & I don't particularly disagree, why have a 200hp bike that can't be ridden without the electronics by the average jo ?  But adds 50% to the cost said machine.  Why is it late 90's/early 2000's 1000cc models weighed <170Kg with 150Hp & no electronics, but todays 1000's boast 30-50hp more but weigh in at 30-40Kg more ?  All down to electronics & the heavy protective shells they need to survive the bikes limited protective capabilty & more arduous environment.

I'd rather have a CBR954RR weighing 125Kg wet, than a YZF-M1 weighing 200Kg wet, that extra 75Kg will be there always, it will over work the tyres, it will limit your corner speed, it will do many bad things just by existing. The current tech race will lead to un usable bikes in the future, which go into limp mode, when abs sensors rings for traction control etc fail, as they age or corrode over time.

I'd rather have ABS for the one time I might need it, than not have it & crash. But as Ken says EVERYONE pays for it, but only a tiny fraction ever use it. When you walk on the rim of a tall building you are very cautious, when you walk on the same rim, with either a safety net below or safety harness to stop you falling you are less concerned & less cautious, this is just a human reaction trait.

YPYMATYP

I so agree with all of this. Todays bikes just mean that the riders skills are dumbed down so that 'morons' can ride them.

The reality is that there are VERY FEW riders out there that can handle a 200hp bike without driver AIDS - especially in the wet when it gets interesting...

Archived