Replace '97 with a '01????

• Member Contributer

Soooo....this is my 3rd summer with my '97 and now have the opportunity to purchase a '01.  The reasons I am considering are: availability of after-market plastics, throttle bodies, brakes, suspension, rear tire selection.

I do have DMR front forks and rebuilt rear shocks on my '97.

Would like comments....and no I could not have both bikes....just no room.

Thanks 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early models of the 5th gen had an abrupt step onto VTEC that was described as 'unsettling'. In a straight line - not so much a problem. On a wet corner? - well, I wouldn't want it. Later models solved the problem so buy as late as you can IMHO...

• Member Contributer
17 minutes ago, Ghostrider said:

Early models of the 5th gen had an abrupt step onto VTEC that was described as 'unsettling'. In a straight line - not so much a problem. On a wet corner? - well, I wouldn't want it. Later models solved the problem so buy as late as you can IMHO...

Um, 5 Gens did not have VTEC...assume you meant early model 6 Gen (2002-2005)

• Member Contributer

Ride the 6th gen and you will know what to do

• Member Contributer

I have read many comments on the VTEC, none of which are very positive.  The '01 does not have VTEC and still has gear driven cams.

So Dutchy.....not sure I follow your comment....are you saying that if I were to ride a 6th Gen I would toss-out my 4th Gen as the 6th Gen is sooo much better?  I was staying away from the 6th Gen due to VTEC, chain driven cams, and the "not so favorable" reviews I have read on the 6th Gens.

• Member Contributer
59 minutes ago, Lannyl81 said:

Soooo....this is my 3rd summer with my '97 and now have the opportunity to purchase a '01.  The reasons I am considering are: availability of after-market plastics, throttle bodies, brakes, suspension, rear tire selection.

I do have DMR front forks and rebuilt rear shocks on my '97.

Would like comments....and no I could not have both bikes....just no room.

Thanks 

IMO, the 5 Gen would make a great replacement. I bought my 01 because I wanted the last generation of the GDC motor and because I wanted a VFR playbike that if something should happen to, I could get it back on the road more easily that say the 3 and 4 Gens. Parts, especially body panels seem to be more available, OEM in particular (albeit a little beat up sometimes). Looks are subjective but I have no problem with the looks of the 3 or 4 Gen VFRs, I would actually love to have a White 3 Gen in my stable but room, riding time and the wife, seem to say differently.

• Member Contributer
Just now, Lannyl81 said:

I have read many comments on the VTEC, none of which are very positive.  The '01 does not have VTEC and still has gear driven cams.

So Dutchy.....not sure I follow your comment....are you saying that if I were to ride a 6th Gen I would toss-out my 4th Gen as the 6th Gen is sooo much better?  I was staying away from the 6th Gen due to VTEC, chain driven cams, and the "not so favorable" reviews I have read on the 6th Gens.

Oops, a few more comments... Too much negative press is given to the 6 Gen, I actually bought my 6 Gen before the 5 Gen and actually considered getting a second one for my play bike, but ultimately went with the 5 Gen for the reasons mentioned above and figured it would be cooler to have to the two different versions.

Yes, it has chain driven cams but like any vehicle, proper maintenance and care makes this negligible IMO. The VTEC is widely misunderstood as well. Most people think that you'll be in a corner and all of sudden the the VTEC will kick in and toss you off the bike!

Once you realize when and where VTEC engages you quickly learn where to keep your RPMS. If I am touring, I'm usually under the engagement point and never have a worry. If I am being more sporty, I'm usually above the engagement point and riding with VTEC engaged. I wouldn't discount the 6 Gen if you can find a good deal on one but since you are coming from a 4 Gen, the 5 Gen might be closer to what you're familiar with.

57 minutes ago, vegaquark said:

Yup, Ghostrider, you had a highside on that post emoji23.png
5th gen is from 1998 to 2001, and no vtec present, and not spiky design as the 2002 onwards. (No underseat twin exhaust too)

Bollocks...:blush:

5th gens are fine - just de-link the brakes...

• Member Contributer

funny..   I've just done this very thing..  replaced the '94 with an '00..  I steered clear of the 6th gen because of the chains, unnecessary VTEC, etc..  so far my impressions are good.   I'm adjusting to the FI and linked brakes quick enough, and I think the chassis seems just a little bit better that the 4th.   really got tired of the fragile plastics and the lack of any reasonably priced replacements on the old bike.   all-in-all, it was a favorable upgrade, despite the charm and attachment I had for my '94

All things being I'd hang onto the 4th gen you have.   then i'll add the 5th gen actually came in two versions just to mix things up. The hot one to have is the 98-99,  00-01 got cats smaller header prirmarys, wax unit for cold starting, and a few other things, even though they look the same, and are pretty close, if you're a fussy bugger you may want to look for a 98-00 version, IF. 

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Ghostrider said:

Bollocks...:blush:

5th gens are fine - just de-link the brakes...

Call your bollocks and raise you one of the same.

Fifth gen are fabulous and so are the (linked) brakes, unless perhaps you track/race it. As a matter of fact, fifth gens are tied for sixth place of all bikes for braking from 60mph to 0mph: 108-point-something feet. At least as of last year. Check Motorcycle Consumer Reports (the best bike mag - imho) when they publish historical specifications, usually once or twice a year. :cool:

• Member Contributer

RVFR: very good info, I did not know this.  I have passed on '98-'99 VFRs as I thought the '01 would be the better of the 5th Gens.  There was a '00 for sale....."WAS" that is.  I have always avoided "first year" for vehicles...but there is an '98 for sale near me.  Just concerned about the "first year" of FI not quite being right.

This '01 has the three Givi cases with it which really makes it appealing to me. low miles as well.

I do not track...not even close, I go out for 1-3 hours rides, usually back roads that are not in the best of condition, so speed is usually maxed at 45mph.

Keep the comments and info coming.....

• Member Contributer

I had a 3rd gen, now have a 6th, and my brother has a 5th (99?). I do miss my GDC's, although the chassis and suspension are no doubt better on the 6th. I love having hard bags on the 6th, which makes touring so much easier. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I got 88k miles on the 6th, and never an issue. I will say, I'm still a little jealous of the GDC'S on my brother's. The VTEC and the linked brakes have never been a concern for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, mk2davis said:

I had a 3rd gen, now have a 6th, and my brother has a 5th (99?). I do miss my GDC's, although the chassis and suspension are no doubt better on the 6th. I love having hard bags on the 6th, which makes touring so much easier. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I got 88k miles on the 6th, and never an issue. I will say, I'm still a little jealous of the GDC'S on my brother's. The VTEC and the linked brakes have never been a concern for me.

Ok, guess I am just going to have to ask.....GDC's???

Is ABS not playing a factor in your decision? If you're going to be going up to EFI and linked brakes, might as well get the ABS. Proven accident reduction rates, no reason not to go for ABS if you are already shopping for a newer one IMO

• Member Contributer

I should have mentioned this earlier, but the abs is why I decided to get the the 6th gen. Whatever you decide, I can't recommend a VFRness from Tightwad enough along with an onboard voltmeter.

• Member Contributer
On 5/24/2017 at 5:59 AM, koekum said:

GDC : Gear Driven Cams

Duh!!!!.......how did I not get that...oh bother.

Anyways seller of the '01 is not replying to my call/text...do not know what is going-on.

I started-out looking at 6th Gens, but stayed away due to VTEC without ever riding one.  I actually like the under tail dual exhaust; makes for a more balanced look to me.  ABS would be a benefit of course.  Perhaps I can find a 6th Gen and give it a try.

• Member Contributer

Having owned all 3 (presently 2), I would say that while I like my 6th gen, I loved my 4th gen and REALLY LOVE my 5th gen.  I got the gen 6 for ABS and factory luggage.  If the 5th gen came with it, it would be the one, only and last bike I would ever own.  On 6th gens,  IMO way too much is made of the VTEC transition.  While I don't think it adds much, if anything to the riding experience,  I've never once had it be an issue when cornering.   My biggest beef with it is the complexity it adds to valve adjustments.  I'll probably just do as others on the forum have done - ride it as close as I can to 100,000 miles and forget adjusting the valves.  I did find the 6th was in need of a Power Commander to smooth things out - the 5th gen never needed it.  Having cleaned the injectors and with the PC, it now rides as smoothly as either of the other 2. 

I had a 2004 that I bought with 34k on it.  Had to replace the cam chain tensioners which fixed the noises in the engine. I liked the look of the under tail pipes and the single sided swing arm (SSSA) as I had Hawk GT's with the SSSA.  Bike was too tall so I lowered it.  I also put Helibars on it.   Then traded it in on a bike I then sold as I was not happy with it.   Now 4 years later,   I have a pristine 89 Hawk GT. I also found a fully titled and CA licensed very fun 1987 VFR400R also with the SSSA which I ride about once a week on some local twisty roads.   So why not get another VFR kept creeping in my mind as I scoured Craig's Lists .  I also say brand new 2014 ones going pretty cheap too. I thought about for weeks. What model I would be most happy with.   I found and bought a 1997 with 7,777 miles on it and hardly any dust (pristine) last Saturday.   Only thing to fix are the old tires.    I wanted GD cams and no FI and no vtec.   The side mounted exhaust is ok.  The seat even seems lower that the 2004 model.

I think as you look around you find many generations for sale.   You compare what you have versus what generation you find appealing.  I think you should always try out what you can and keep searching for the bike that fits you and you alone and get the features you think or know you want.   If it does not work out,  chances are if you bought it used,  you can sell it for not much of a lose (cost of learning) or maybe even a profit.   How do I know this,  I am on my 34th Bike and I turn 69 this year.

lake2.jpg

IMG_5687.JPG

• Member Contributer

Well guess I can forget about getting this '01; seller never replied and Craig's List ad was removed.  It is not that I do not like my 4th Gen....I think I like it better than my last bike a '93 Honda CBR1000F.  I am just worried that someday the plastics are going to break and I will never have the great looking bike again.

Oh well....guess I will have to just go ride my ole '97!  May be I will put the soft bags on it and go for a weekend trip around Arizona.....oh wait....temps in low 100's....have to head for the mountains....oh darn.....

• Member Contributer

As the expert on everything, let me give you the low down on this:

4th Gen rock.

6th Gen rule. 

5th Gen suck.

:goofy:

Archived