Quick question about the starter

BiKenG

I cannot check this right now with my bike, but could someone help me with this.

If when the engine is running and the starter button is pressed again, does the starter motor spin up?

I'm not worried if it does as the starter clutch ensures nothing actually can connect, but I just want to confirm there is no electrical bypass mechanism. The wiring diagram shows there is not, but I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything as on some other bikes Honda repurpose the starter button once the engine is running (e.g. as a LAP button on FireBlade).

So on the VFR1200F, does it spin the starter motor?

Thanks for that. It's what I expected, but just wanted it confirmed.

Thanks again.

On 5/16/2017 at 4:27 AM, BiKenG said:

...I'm not worried if it does as the starter clutch ensures nothing actually can connect...

Really?  I haven't done this on a bike in a while, but with a remote start in my car, I've done this more than a few times (also a Honda) and when I turn the key, I hear what sounds like a grinding noise... Wouldn't a bike starter work the same way?  Or is what I'm hearing NOT a grinding noise?

1 hour ago, crakerjac said:

Really?  I haven't done this on a bike in a while, but with a remote start in my car, I've done this more than a few times (also a Honda) and when I turn the key, I hear what sounds like a grinding noise... Wouldn't a bike starter work the same way?  Or is what I'm hearing NOT a grinding noise?

Totally different mechanisms. If you try to operate a car starter while the engine is running, the Bendix gear system will try to engage and make that horrible noise as the gears clash at speed. The Sprag type clutch of most (Hondas anyway) motorcycles ensure that it CANNOT be engaged once the engine is spinning. The set of rollers that grip in order to turn the engine over to start are flung out by centrifugal force once the engine starts and is spinning at speed and therefore can no longer engage. So the starter motor just spins and does nothing except make a bit of a 'spinning' noise. :happy:

I want to re-purpose the starter button for another function once the engine is running and just wanted to confirm that there is no such system already in place on the VFR1200 and my bike is already dismantled so had to ask.

• Member Contributer

I think the Goldwing, for example, uses it to operate the reverse gear:

591c9ecd6f6b0_GL1800RHSSwitchPod.thumb.jpg.88ea5faac1c74c1de2e390249058413b.jpg

(Welcome back!)

Ciao,

39 minutes ago, JZH said:

I think the Goldwing, for example, uses it to operate the reverse gear:

Well it uses the actual starter motor to move the bike in reverse. Not what I had in mind though. :biggrin:

Archived