So I might have done a thing......

• Member Contributer

+1

One of the 1st things I did to mine was getting rid of the flush ones, back to OEM.

An OEM tail will cross the Atlantic so I can fit an OEM rearlight (aka breadbox) and OEM indicators.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
On 7/5/2017 at 10:16 AM, Veefer800Canuck said:

Wheel bearings have been cleaned and repacked with fresh grease. 

RC51 heads over on FB were all like: Just buy new bearings man!

And I was like: Naw, I'm good, thanks. 

$7 worth of grease and a little time and they're mint! 

With only 4,000 miles, they'd better be! 

New tires Friday!!! 

IMG_7867.JPG

Well, 4.000mi plus whatever you did to get them out... Bearings are usually installed using the outer race, which puts no stress on the balls and inner race.  But bearings are usually removed by exerting force on the inner race, which does.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Veefer800Canuck said:

I don't like the flushmounts. 

We're invisible to cars as-is!!!

Fair point. Although I like them as they show up from the sides as well as from the front.

• Member Contributer
On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Veefer800Canuck said:

I don't like the flushmounts. 

We're invisible to cars as-is!!!

The one thing has worked biggest for being seen, for me, has been LED lights, especially the aux LEDs I fitted to the Crossrunner.

I know aux lights probably wouldn't work so well on an RC51, but fitting replacement headlight bulbs, whether bi-xenon or LED, would be worth considering imo, if you're not already doing that.

Just a thought.....beautiful bike btw. :beer:

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Twin yellow headlights, Led dlrl and running lights

medium.IMG_9607.JPG.ab3fbb74128130427f1cacd5ad2cd963_1.jpg.598c27c0b23d3c7854238e3f16db1d63.jpg

Dayglo orange helmet and suit

IMAG4961.thumb.jpg.434c0020beb4161e141b005ef8cea279.jpg

One oncoming car turning left despite of all this....

Still ended terminally for redslut...

IMAG5004.thumb.jpg.aab18f835fdb7dcc41bdef8e7fc09f5e.jpg

Be CAREFUL out there! (and lucky...)

• Member Contributer

I'd let anyone who wanted, ride her... Even Timmythecop. He found her nicely loose... :-)

This is beautiful.   About the only advantage I can see to the exhaust under the tail vfr is if you wanted to stealth a turbo..  The riser pipe would feed the turbo and the turbo would exhaust under the seat.   You could probably even keep the cats but to maintain the temperature up to the turbo you would probably want the exhaust ceramic coated.   This is not a busa beater but just small quick spooling turbo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Lorne said:

Ruh roh, hope everything downstream of the tank is ok - primarily the injectors.

Any thoughts n how the tank got in such a state?

10 years of being parked with ethanol fuel in the tank. 

The bike ran PERFECTLY before I took the tank off, started immediately, revved perfectly, idles perfectly, etc. 

I had ridden it home like 10km when I bought it and it pulled like a freight train. 

I removed rhe FPR and blew out the entire fuel rail and HP supply hose with compressed air. NO RUST came out. None. 

I also blew the FPR clean, and there was only a speck or two of soft debris in there. 

OE fuel filter must have worked! 

Guess which of the two fuel pumps I'm putting back in?? 

• Member Contributer

It finally happened! I powdercoated the wheels at work, and they came out nice. All new wheel bearings, seals, brake rotors and tires. I know it's not pristine, but it has all the tasty bits I wanted. Having so much fun riding it, I don't know if I will go back to the clip-ons.............just have a few pieces of bodywork, and new headlights to replace the old.

the RC Tuono!

20170903_190455.jpg

20170903_190503.jpg

20170903_190510.jpg

RC Tuono.jpg

• Member Contributer

Veefer800Canuck

What SPAL fan model number did you use and does it cover the same area as the oem fan? I tried to fit a SPAL fan on the right hand radiator but struggled to get it to fit due to the thickness of the fan motor. I can see from the photo that you have made an alumium frame to mount it? Nice work.

23 hours ago, Marooncobra said:

Veefer800Canuck

What SPAL fan model number did you use and does it cover the same area as the oem fan? I tried to fit a SPAL fan on the right hand radiator but struggled to get it to fit due to the thickness of the fan motor. I can see from the photo that you have made an alumium frame to mount it? Nice work.

The mounting bracket was made by a fellow RC51 owner who did a limited run of them. The fan slightly covers the end tank of the rad, but not much. It had to, to clear the frame spar. 

IMG_9509.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to blast the fuel tank innards at the car wash to get most of the loose rusty scale out. 

Bemoeve it or not, the pic is an improvement over what was before!!!

Dried it and now trying to find time to do the tank cleaning and coating kit. 

Hurt my right arm a bit loading furniture, so it might be a bit before I can tackle the tank. 

IMG_9483.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Won’t be finishing the RC51  in time for winter. No ride for me. 

All I had to do was clean and coat the rusty fuel tank (already taken off and washed/aired out) and install/size the new drive chain. 

Sucks. 

74C5E890-BF33-408F-913C-321A1C065E3C.jpeg

D1923914-734F-462B-B1A9-931302753E11.jpeg

9604AB31-992A-49E0-87AC-6B73744A301E.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Very sorry to hear that, Rob.

A couple years ago, while parking his KTM 990 it fell away from him. When he tried to hold it he ended up tearing the tendon of his right bicep. Bad news: he missed a couple months of riding season. Good news: complete recovery.

Ps. he was older than you  ?

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Lorne said:

Ps. he was older than you  ?

Is that even possible? :tongue: