Sprocket change

I'll be ordering a chain and sprockets in the next week or two. I I'm either doing -1/+1 or +2 rear, haven't decided, but probably +2 rear. Planning on getting a speedohealer at the same time.

15 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

I'll be ordering a chain and sprockets in the next week or two. I I'm either doing -1/+1 or +2 rear, haven't decided, but probably +2 rear. Planning on getting a speedohealer at the same time.

Where did you find sprockets for the 8th Gen? I've been having some trouble tracking down after market ones. 

Hm. I just noticed Sprocketcenter is calling 02-14 6th Generation. I'll have to check part numbers when I get a chance and see if the same sprockets will fit.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Tgoranson said:

Where did you find sprockets for the 8th Gen? I've been having some trouble tracking down after market ones. 

Theres nobody carrying different sprockets as stock items, even Talon don't list any VFR sprockets after 2001 and even then it's the standard ones  ....have to get some made 

There's a enough members here and VFRworld to make a group buy worth considering if you really feel the need

520 kit for 8th gen

This is the kit I just installed on my 8th gen (stock tooth count).  Absolutely nothing wrong with switching from the stock 525 to a 520 on our bikes...and saves a bit of rotating weight too!

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

Why need a speedohealer? Unlike the 6gen, speed indication for the 8gen comes off the ABS rotors (I think).

The front is really a pretty big sprocket. I had a 14-tooth front on my 599 with no issues, so I'm sure we could drop down one and be ok. I'd replace everything unless your miles on the current setup are low. If you are just doing one, you have one bolt in the front vs 6 nuts in the back.

Technically, you have more than one bolt to deal with in the front...the slave cylinder has to come off to get to the sprocket.  After recently changing both of mine, if I only had to change one, the rear would be easier and quicker to change than the front.

But as many have stated on many forums...I ALWAYS change all 3 parts together, every time.

On 5/5/2017 at 7:26 PM, Beardedboxer said:

Has anyone done a front or rear sprocket upgrade? I was debating down one upfront or two up in back.  

Why ? The VFR seems to be about perfect gearing. The only bike I ever changed was a 97 speed triple because it would bog in first.

32 minutes ago, Beardedboxer said:

Because I feel it's a little more geared for highway .  I don't think it needs anything drastic , just a little more oomph .

Ok, I would not do to gas mileage going down on long trips which I do a few a year. Another thing to consider is the chain guide can get chewed up by going down at motor. With just 1 down just keep an eye on it, I would go 1 or 2 up on rear to avoid that possible issue.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎6‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:26 AM, Beardedboxer said:

Has anyone done a front or rear sprocket upgrade? I was debating down one upfront or two up in back.  

WARNING - The Gear Position Indication system could be screwed if you change the front or rear sprocket from the standard size.

Just read this in the General Info Page 1-33 regarding the operation of the Gear Position Indication System.

Gear_Position001.jpg

I was thinking about that. I could live without it, but I'm wondering if it will be a big enough change to indicate incorrect gears or if it will just show the blank.

• Member Contributer

I originally went one down on the front on my 01, but later changed to 2 up on the rear which I like a lot more.

1 down on front makes chain closer to swingarm guide which is not very good.

Can't see how it would have anything to do with gear change indicator.

I love it the way it is now.

The gear indicator checks itself by comparing speed to RPM. I'm not sure how exactly it works, but I had an issue with it today (still stock gears) where it couldn't figure out what gear it was in until I came to a stop and, I guess, clicked past neutral. It tried to flash "1" a few times when I went down to fifth, but immediately went back to "-."

15 hours ago, Grum said:

WARNING - The Gear Position Indication system could be screwed if you change the front or rear sprocket from the standard size.

Just read this in the General Info Page 1-33 regarding the operation of the Gear Position Indication System.

Well, that's annoying. 

• Member Contributer

I guess its only a problem if you look at the indicator.

I've never had one, and to be honest I can't see the point of one.

I change gears when I need to,

So it depends if looking at the dial is more important then the gearing on the bike.

I swapped my rear because I wanted more get up and go, and I found 1st gear too tall for how I ride.

• 1 month later...

Archived