Need Gen 5 enthusiast advice - 98 to 2001 ECU swap out possible?

masterkush

Question

Hi Guys .. Loooong time no see. :-)
I have a 1998 Viffer which had a prang so with the insurance money I have 'bought it back' AND got myself a 'new' 2001 model.
Can I change over the ECU, Power Commander, K&N, and exhaust (Micron wide-bore and new stainless downpipes) from my 98 to the 2001?
I know the 2001 has a 'closed loop' system with lambda sensor that I would like to ditch as the map I had for my 98 setup worked really well on the 98 (FiX) model.
I know if I just fit the power Commander and other bits without changing the ECU it will get overriden via the lambda sensor and do nothing.
Is this 'doable'?

1 answer to this question

• Member Contributer

Change everything except the ECU. There are no gains in the old ECU & it will not support the auto choke function of the 00-01 models.  The rest will be a straight swap. The O2 sensors on the 01 model can be dropped. Just need to add a 330ohm resistor to one of the O2 power circuits. It would be best to get the PC3 mapped on a dyno, its costs about £150, but well worth the effort, to make the most of your other mods.  Your map may work fine, but you will never know unless you check ! 

There is a lot of wrong thinking about the O2 sensors, they operate in very specific areas of the rev/load range. These being at idle & at steady cruise ONLY. So getting rid of them just costs you fuel. But if you fool one O2 circuit into believing its sending power to a sensor via the resistor mentioned above, it keeps the Fi warning light out. When the bike reaches temp & other measurements to allow the ECU to activate the O2 sensor readings & none are forthcoming the ECU goes into default slightly rich map. It logs a fault in the ECU for each failed O2 sensor, but the light stays out on the dash !

I had mine custom tuned on the semi-stock exhaust with the sensors in, but they are now gone & replaced with a wideband self learning RapidBike racing module. I made up a harness to tap the original O2 power feeds to supply the wideband sensor so don't need the resistor !

Archived