Coming back to VFRs??

On ‎5‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, Frogfoot said:

In the end, the option is still to see if I can pick up a 6th gen with topbox/panniers and go from there.

If your after a bike with a top box and panniers, you'd better stop looking at the Ninja then. it can't have both together OEM.

About the only problem I am aware off with the 8th gen over the 6th is the heavier clutch. For what ever reason, Honda put a smaller slave cylinder in the Hydraulic clutch on the 8th which means a heavier clutch. May or may not be an issue depending on your hand strength.

Personally for me, the only problem I have with my 2016 8th gen is that I can't ride it enough. :P

• Member Contributer

I echo what others have said, and although I have the VFR800X, it shares many commonalities with the 800FE as well as the same engine. I've ridden 5th & 6th Gen VFR's for over 200,000 miles and the new 800 knocks the socks off both previous models.

But that's just my opinion (along with a few others).

I have just bought the 2017 model, I had a 2015 and a 2009 model.  In my opinion the new vfr feels lighter than the older Vtec, noticeably, slimmer profile and not having those exhausts under the sest I think transform the bikes handling and I loved the look of those undersest pipes but I think it has improved the handling ditching them.  I also think the slimmer profile ot the front by moving the to a front radiator has helped the feel of the bike and in my opinion really improved the look of the bike.  Difficult to think it's ugly over the older one, I also love the newer pipe on the 2017, sounds deeper and looks better.  However if you want a loud pipe then that's probably still required.  I put bar risers on mine and I love the feel of the bike, I even prefer it over my 15 model but I think that is because I am more comfortable with the bar risers and the exhaust note is just that bit better.  

They are all brilliant and its it's easy to be biased but this is my own honest thoughts, I thought they had refined the 2014 model and sorted out the Vtec to be perfect and probably built the bike they maybe should have in 2002, but that's no disrespect to the older Vtec. I still Loved mine but I always thought it's handing was a bit heavy though I never really noticed anything major against the Vtec then, maybe mines was better, I know they improved it in 2006.  All I would say is it is transparent now except for the lovely noise.  

I love the new vfr, but I love all vfr's I also owned the 1200 for 3 years, another great bike, brilliant shaft drive and engine but it's not quite got the sports side that the smaller bike offers.  I think the VFR800 is just one of the best road bikes you will ever ride, not silly in the power stakes, the newer model handles brilliantly in the corners and the power delivers smooth controllable power, lovely.

• Member Contributer

Why I love the new VFR.

Lighter, slimmer, typical Honda superb build quality, GREAT looks, excellent fuel economy (generally getting over 400k's before re-fuelling), runs happily on standard Unleaded 91ron, OEM Paniers and fittment to bike Brilliant, nice handling, general servicing is easy, single swing arm makes for simple chain adjustment never mis-aligning front and rear sprockets, centre stand great, wouldn't have a bike without one. ABS, Traction control and five stage heated grips, nice new instrumentation, silky smooth positive gearbox, excellent LED Headlights, great reliability and durability etc,etc,etc.................. Gotta be one of the BEST Sports/Tourer ever built, great bang for your buck!

It also appears the days of Reg/Rect and Stator failures may be a thing of the past with its fancy new microprocessor controlled Reg/Rect device.

Oh YES, and as always, that beautiful 90deg Vee 4 engine and sound, just music to my ears!

My only small criticism is I personally find the suspension a little harsh no matter what the setting.

Cheers.

Grum.

On 08/05/2017 at 7:55 PM, Thumbs said:

7 hours ago, Grum said:

Why I love the new VFR.

Lighter, slimmer, typical Honda superb build quality, GREAT looks, excellent fuel economy (generally getting over 400k's before re-fuelling), runs happily on standard Unleaded 91ron, OEM Paniers and fittment to bike Brilliant, nice handling, general servicing is easy, single swing arm makes for simple chain adjustment never mis-aligning front and rear sprockets, centre stand great, wouldn't have a bike without one. ABS, Traction control and five stage heated grips, nice new instrumentation, silky smooth positive gearbox, excellent LED Headlights, great reliability and durability etc,etc,etc.................. Gotta be one of the BEST Sports/Tourer ever built, great bang for your buck!

It also appears the days of Reg/Rect and Stator failures may be a thing of the past with its fancy new microprocessor controlled Reg/Rect device.

Oh YES, and as always, that beautiful 90deg Vee 4 engine and sound, just music to my ears!

My only small criticism is I personally find the suspension a little harsh no matter what the setting.

Cheers.

Grum.

All the things I should have said, absolutely bang on.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone. Since writing this I have tried the Ninja 1000. I did like it, it felt a lot smoother than the VFR. However as Audible points out, you can't have the topbox and panniers at the same time. However, the main problem I found was that the seat was quite sore, even after about 10 mins and I still felt a bit sore 30mins AFTER I hopped off. And this was the 2017, which apparently has a more comfortable seat.

Realistically the VFR is still top dog. My budget will not stretch to a brand new one, but there is a good selection of 8th and 6th gen second hand to keep a look out for. I will try for the 8th gen. 

However, I still want to try at least one of the Tiger Sport, MT09 Tracer or even the VFR800X before I decide. 

Archived