'85 VF500: No headlight, missing 12V at a few places

ScottSturgis

Put in a battery and turned on the key for the first time since I've owned this '85 VF500. I'm not getting power to the horn, headlight, neutral light or tail light.
I have brake light, but no tail light. Oil light comes on, engine turns over, dash lights work, turn signals and front running lights work.
I checked the fuses and they look OK. I swapped out the spare fuse for the headlight fuse and still no power to the plug.
Can you point me where to look next? I don't think I have any plugs taken apart on the wiring harness. I didn't go into the LH control

I don't know what I did, but I just kept looking around and I got the headlight working. I do believe it was possibly start switch related. Though I couldn't access the start switch, I went back and played around with the RH control....mostly to get the throttle cables moving smoothly...and now I have Hi and Lo beam. Replaced the horn with a working one. Still no brake or neutral light. Where's the neutral switch? And both bulbs are on when brakes are applied. What to check next to get tail lights?

The good new is, SHE LIVES!!!! And once it was running, all those weird electrical things started working. The headlight is still a little hinky. It's got something to do with the little switch inside that turns off the headlight when starting. The little spring/pin doesn't spring back as it should. I sprayed a little WD40 in there and I can make the headlight work. Hopefully, it'll get better in time. 
 The engine sounds smooth as silk with zero valve train noise. No smoke or leaks. I'll keep tweaking the carbs 'til I get them just right. 
 I had to bypass the fuel pump to make it run. I'm seriously considering leaving it bypassed and just unplugging it, unless someone can tell me why I shouldn't.
 It feels good to have a few things go right!

I just unplugged the pump. I wasn't sure which one was the pump relay. Is it OK to run it like that? (The bike, I mean....not the pump, obviously)

• Member Contributer

My VF500F2 has no pump, runs fine.

Came that way from tge factory.

Archived