Laguna Seca Track Day

St. Stephen

• Member Contributer

Better late than never...did my very first track day this past Friday at Laguna Seca. Took the RC51, and it was a blast just to be on this track with a bike after coming here as a spectator so many times.

I don't think I ever really figured out the slower corners, turn 2 in particular remains a mystery. The corkscrew elevator drop was great fun although I didn't get through there particularly quickly either. But the 3-4-5-6 combo felt really good, and my favorite was 9-10, looked forward to it every lap. Hit an indicated 137 going into turn 1, the hairiest corner on the track, as I'm thinking, "OMG here comes turn 2!"

Didn't crash, but got waaay sideways coming out of 11 once--no TC back in 2003. The RC ran like a top, must have been the HRC stickers.

Most of the bikes were Japanese supersports, but I didn't see a VFR. A few RSV's, a few S1000's, and one Triumph. Not a single Ducati, interesting. Keigwins ran a great program.

GBMD1115.JPG

GBMD2224.JPG

GBMD1708.JPG

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a blast. I wish I wasn't so far away. A one mile police practice course is the only one near me. Not nearly as fun as your sounds.

Plus Laguna Seca is a historic track in my imagination.   

Freaking nice huh. I've only been on Laguna once back in 97,  what a blast, took me like 4 laps before I'd stop sight seeing. yea ain't 1-2 turns something else,  coming over the top like at near wide open,  then that sneaker of a curve coming into 1.  Crazy deception just how much speed needs to be bled off,  then bad enough there's a slight down hill into the turn.   Not for the faint of heart. Still one H of a lot of fun. Great to read your adventure. Thanks for sharing.    I'll never forget the time spent there, nothing like it. This gets me rethinking a track day there needs to be sooner than later. 

• Member Contributer

Nice, especially for a first time track day! Although I got to ride the track for a couple of parade laps at a WSBK race, have not done a "true" ride around the track! Definitely a bucket item list.Glad you had a good time and came home with bike intact :wink:

Sounds like a blast. I wish I wasn't so far away. A one mile police practice course is the only one near me. Not nearly as fun as your sounds.

Plus Laguna Seca is a historic track in my imagination.   

Not just in your imagination!!

• Member Contributer

A couple more observations from a track day newbie:

I'm pretty sure I had the oldest bike on the track!

Those smooth, wide, sweeping corners I saw as a spectator turned out to be tight and bumpy.

No mirrors, and I get it and agree, but I did get spooked sometimes when passed. Just like you have to trust your tires, you have to trust the rider passing you. Most but not all deserved that trust.

Tires don't last very long on track days.

Modern electronics have value! Despite it's ugly appearance I am still lusting over the KTM SD GT. Or the one pictured below...

Anyway, when I return for WSBK in July I will be even more amazed at how those guys get around in a minute and a half.

IMG_2938.JPG

• Member Contributer

Glad you had a fun and safe track day.   The pro's make it look so easy and effortless, quite the contrary.  After a 20 min session I'm pretty spent, thats not even pushing race pace the full session.   I'm considering trying Sonoma or Laguna next, have heard good things about Sonoma also.   

I always thought it was odd requirement to cover your speedo, but realized once when I took my eyes off the track to look around for a second or two and completely blowing my line that the speedo would just be an unneeded distraction.   Removing your mirrors are probably for the same reason. 

• Member Contributer
23 minutes ago, RichVee4 said:

Glad you had a fun and safe track day.   The pro's make it look so easy and effortless, quite the contrary.  After a 20 min session I'm pretty spent, thats not even pushing race pace the full session.   I'm considering trying Sonoma or Laguna next, have heard good things about Sonoma also.   

I always thought it was odd requirement to cover your speedo, but realized once when I took my eyes off the track to look around for a second or two and completely blowing my line that the speedo would just be an unneeded distraction.   Removing your mirrors are probably for the same reason. 

Funny, I hardly look at my speedo when I'm on public roads! Mirrors, definitely, particularly when I'm part of a group.

Archived