2015 (8th gen) VFR800 - brake upgrade options ?

fmr300

I've owned and liked various Jap/Italian liter-bikes for over 20 years, but last year decided to go with the smoothness, fit & finish of a VFR.   Plus I couldn't resist the fire-sale that Honda was having on still-in-crate 2015 VFR's.

It's a great bike, and I'm ok with the reduced HP, compared to say, a Tuono RR!, but I'm really not loving the brakes.    Finding them spongy.   I changed to better EBH pads, and saw a little help, but not good enough.

Anybody ever fit Brembo's (master cylinder, rotor, calipers) to their 2014/2015 VFR800 ?    I can change to braided lines of course, but would like to consider a full change-out....     Not readily finding anything on the web....

-Mark

We have the same front calipers as late model CBR 1000 & 600's - although we do have different master cylinders, hoses, etc.  The literbike guys seem to like the Brembo RCS19 master cylinders, braided lines and upgraded pads on the stock calipers.  No personal experience, just what I've found when looking into the subject myself.

• Member Contributer

Spongy??

Mine feel like I've already got stainless steel lines like my other bikes

The Tokico radial brakes we have are 4 piston per side, 2 x 32 & 2 x 30 mm diameter each side, the only "limiting" factor I've found that is the ABS cutting in, there's very little lever pressure needed to safely and very quickly come to a halt

Its common in the restoration world to get one off brake shoes and pads made up, you can choose how soft you want them too, cheap too, a custom set of pads for a motorcycle is about £30 a pair, so £60 and you've got improved braking ... .but still the ABS. will ultimately be the decider

Odd, I find the brakes to be very "user friendly." Stainless lines are high up on my list of things to do. I don't necessarily need supersport-spec Brembos, but I may be interested in MC swaps as well.

On 4/30/2017 at 9:28 AM, fmr300 said:

I've owned and liked various Jap/Italian liter-bikes for over 20 years, but last year decided to go with the smoothness, fit & finish of a VFR.   Plus I couldn't resist the fire-sale that Honda was having on still-in-crate 2015 VFR's.

It's a great bike, and I'm ok with the reduced HP, compared to say, a Tuono RR!, but I'm really not loving the brakes.    Finding them spongy.   I changed to better EBH pads, and saw a little help, but not good enough.

Anybody ever fit Brembo's (master cylinder, rotor, calipers) to their 2014/2015 VFR800 ?    I can change to braided lines of course, but would like to consider a full change-out....     Not readily finding anything on the web....

-Mark

I feel the same! Brakes are a bit of a let down, though I feel front low speed compression would have to be looked at if proper brake feel was restored. 

3 hours ago, SlideRule said:

We have the same front calipers as late model CBR 1000 & 600's - although we do have different master cylinders, hoses, etc.  The literbike guys seem to like the Brembo RCS19 master cylinders, braided lines and upgraded pads on the stock calipers.  No personal experience, just what I've found when looking into the subject myself.

I never thought to cross reference the calipers myself... damn, same as the '15 600rr and 1000rr! I think a set of Brembo MC's would look fine on this bike! For starters I might just try the MC off of one of those bikes. I'm going to replace the pads with Vesrah RJL's shortly as the OE's are getting thin. 

• Member Contributer
On 4/30/2017 at 9:28 AM, fmr300 said:

-Mark

Is it safe to assume you've replaced the fluid and properly bled the system?

I haven't experienced sponginess in my VFR's brakes but I'm puzzled that braided lines aren't the first thing you'd try before running off to a whole new brake system.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Rectaltronics said:

Is it safe to assume you've replaced the fluid and properly bled the system?

I haven't experienced sponginess in my VFR's brakes but I'm puzzled that braided lines aren't the first thing you'd try before running off to a whole new brake system.

I'm with you on this one. 

Archived