'17 VFR v. '17 Ducati SuperSport S (MCN Comparo)

GatorGreg

• Member Contributer

For those of you who argue that the VFR is a fat dinosaur, etc., I would argue that the mere presence of the VFR in this comparo is a moral victory in and of itself!   IMO the VFR sounded by far the best of all 4 machines in the comparo and was the 2nd best looking after the Panigale.

What I got out of this review is that while they regard the SuperSport S as the bike that can do a little bit of everything, it's not in the same league as the VFR when it comes to sports-touring.  Kind of wished they had a white VFR as well to compare against the two white Ducati's but from what I've seen I don't think Honda offers the VFR in white anymore for '17 (except in Japan).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good watch that video. Thanks for posting.

I have been looking at the super sports on the Ducati website and my take on it was that it is more of a softened super sports rather than a true sports tourer.

You only have to look at the extra's that the Ninja and VFR have and why they are heavier bikes to see that the Ducati isn't really a sports tourer. A 16 litre fuel tank and no centre stand for a start.

From what I can tell and as they pointed out in that video, the Super sport is a better street bike then the Panigale and that would count for a Fireblade/R1/ZX/GSXR. These hard core super sports bikes are really track machines with indicators and rear view mirrors. For somebody who is a road/commuter rider and weekend track or open roader, a bike such as the super sport looks to be a better choice.

It's something I think all the manufacturers should offer imho as the current super sports bikes are too hard core for the streets. Adding an extra 10 kilo's in weight for a comfier seat, higher bar and some luggage options would make for a better street bike I reckon.

This is why we are attracted to the VFR. It makes a good street bike that can tourer and do a decent twisties weekend as well.

Hence why they had the super sport Panigale 959 and the two tourers, VFR & Ninja in the comparison. The super sports is something in between the two genre's, not one or the other.

• Member Contributer

Well said Audible.  I was able to just now rewatch the vid on my big screen with a good sound system and  I loved the  cockpit view of the VFR from about the 2:25-2:35 mark.  That rider made the VFR look like it could take the curves just as well if not better than the other bikes!  And the sound of the VFR at the 2:53 mark was the sweetest sounding engine in the whole show I thought.  I thought the red VFR with the tasteful bronze wheels looked very sporty and classy at the same time while the Ducatis with the clown-like red wheels looked very boyracer IMO.  Bottom line is the VFR, despite being essentially unchanged since 2014, looked right at home with the cool new kid on the block Ducati Supersport.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Gator.

Nice video.

Given the price, build quality, looks, reliability, service costs, fuel range etc, etc How can ya go passed the VFR, not to mention that sweet sounding VEE 4

VFR's Rule!!

Cheers.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Audible said:

You only have to look at the extra's that the Ninja and VFR have and why they are heavier bikes to see that the Ducati isn't really a sports tourer. A 16 litre fuel tank and no centre stand for a start.

Even the Ninja (one of the very few recent bikes I gave more than a passing glance) does not quite match the VFR for luggage capacity and pillion accommodation. 

Bottom line, the Viffer is still king of that hill ! :wheel:

(even if it is a bit of a molehill these days :goofy:).

• Member Contributer

Well they confirmed what I felt after my test ride of the SS...the mirrors are useless due to the vibration! ;)

I think they summed it up and is about what I felt about it, it's a good sport bike that can be ridden all day. I think one item missing for me was the sound. Unlike my 95 SS with aftermarket cans on it, it felt subdued and tame. Perhaps if the one I test road was equipped with the same I might have felt a little better about it but to me it still felt like something was missing besides the sound.

I wouldn't go trading in either of my VFRs in for one, nor my 95 SS for that matter BUT if someone wanted a Ducati that they could ride sportingly and comfortably and/or maybe use for commuting with some lite touring thrown in once in a while, the SS would be a good choice.

• 6 months later...

So my question is this when you sit on them do the feel the same? I have sit-in on the SS but there is not a VRF with 300 miles of me in Kansas City.  I love the ergo's of the SS..  Also on the VFR is the DLX worth the extra money? 

• Member Contributer

That video makes me want the VFR more than the Ducati SS!

When the right deal comes along, even with a 6th gen in the garage I may have to get an 8th gen as well.

• Member Contributer

Another thing, does the Ducati have the brilliant OEM pannier mount system like the VFR, no ugly brackets and sooooo simple to install and remove the cases? For my liking the VFR wins hands down in so many areas. Must admit I certainly like the Red wheels with the White fairing on the Ducati.

On 18/11/2017 at 3:43 PM, KCDANO said:

So my question is this when you sit on them do the feel the same? I have sit-in on the SS but there is not a VRF with 300 miles of me in Kansas City.  I love the ergo's of the SS..  Also on the VFR is the DLX worth the extra money? 

Ridden the SS couple times this year. Did think this was going to be my next bike but have stuck with the VFR. Ducati' happy zone where wind blast perfectly balances body weight is some 10mph faster than the VFR. In comparison the VFR and SS are similar in riding postion with much the same peg - to - seat relationship just slightly tighter knee angle on the SS. The difference in bars I found the SS slightly further away than the VFR. Biggest difference just sat on them are the SS being slimmer and lighter. One thing to be aware of not sure what your weather is like compared to the UK but the SS is naturally heated from the V-twin's running temperature to warm you quite uncomfortable at speeds below 40mph and in traffic its really is a pain in the butt.  I know of one person who has one and is looking at fitting a heat shield.  

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Aeolo said:

One thing to be aware of not sure what your weather is like compared to the UK but the SS is naturally heated from the V-twin's running temperature to warm you quite uncomfortable at speeds below 40mph and in traffic its really is a pain in the butt.  I know of one person who has one and is looking at fitting a heat shield.  

Free automatic heated seat, eh?  That's very generous of Ducati considering they want $350 for heated grips! :tongue:  My 8th gen deluxe has them as standard equipment of course.  Personally, I could do without Ducati's free automatic heated seat here in Fla :tongue:

https://store.ducatiusa.com/c/accessories_supersport_supersport-all

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Grum said:

Another thing, does the Ducati have the brilliant OEM pannier mount system like the VFR, no ugly brackets and sooooo simple to install and remove the cases? For my liking the VFR wins hands down in so many areas. Must admit I certainly like the Red wheels with the White fairing on the Ducati.

I'm not sure but I think it uses ugly brackets - according to Ducati's store description their $1,500 side panniers "...come complete with mounting brackets..."

Link:   https://store.ducatiusa.com/p/ducati-supersport-side-panniers-kit-red/accessories_supersport_supersport-all?pp=20

And another thing.  AFAIK Ducati does not even offer a centerstand as an optional accessory.  This of course is a standard feature found on the VFR deluxe and a low cost accessory for base models.  In addition to facilitating maintenance it also comes in handy when chicks are posing on your parked bike as seen below - you don't have to worry about them knocking it over :tongue:   

IMG_2785.thumb.JPG.095e4c55f941ef6443011d9e859a3090.JPG

And another thing!  Ducati owners on the forums are warning each other (see quote below) that if they load up their side stand It could puncture their thinner/lighter engine case!!! :unsure:  Think about that the next time you read a moto-journalist complain that the VFR is heavy - LOL

I learned this past weekend that newer Ducati bikes no longer have the traditional thick engine cases but thinner engine cases by a new process which leads to lighter engine cases.  This was told to us in a maintenance class taught by a certified Ducati mechanic. Suffice to say it is a BAD idea to load up that side stand, even sit on it with side stand down as some owners do to take a phone call or sip their espresso (let alone 2 up with side stand down!). Not only does the mount screw come loose but over time the area around the mounting gets looser and looser and can penetrate the engine case.

http://www.ducatisupersport939.net/forum/#/topics/1377?page=1

• 1 month later...

The MCN article is good for all of the 8th gen vfr 800/Interceptor current and future owners out there. Having just checked out the Ducati SuperSport S in that trick matte white in person I was impressed with most everything about it. The fit/finish was top notch+the lower weight, little smaller size was good. It reminded me of the time years ago looking at 98 Ferrari 355's vs Acura NSX's .The Ferrari had more style,sound and performance but I just could not see the cost of ownership being close to the NSX. It was also  almost double the price, just like the difference in these two bikes right now .  I just got a "new leftover" white 2014 Interceptor and could not be happier with it.If I had the extra money I still don't know if I would have bought the Ducati over the Interceptor, but..... I do know that I am still happy with my NSX and never regretted that decision after all these years.

Having rode a SuperSport demo bike,  it wasn't that much faster than a VFR at all.  it had some sort of a timing retard in the low revs I despised almost immediately.  it did feel a lot lighter but the windshield left a bit to be desired,  the trans didn't feel even close to as smooth and I just felt a bit underwhelmed.  

in a different environment I'm sure it would've shined but on san diego streets the VFR-14 is it.

I also rode a VFR1200 that day and it is a monster everywhere but in sound.  It makes me profoundly sad that they didn't 180* crank that bike because it's the only thing holding that bike back for me.

• Member Contributer

Here's a link to Michael Neeves' written companion piece to the MCN video:

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/motorcycle-news-uk/20170412/284275299987554

The article has several interesting quotes that aren't found in the video version, including:

"Is it a sports tourer, or a modern-day interpretation of the mighty Honda VFR800?"

"It's the VFR that's boss of fuel capacity."

""It's Ducati Whippet v. Honda Labrador."

"It's the original sports tourer and even plusher and more solid than the Kawasaki."

"It's not slow and handles so well the cheery red beast is always there when you look back, even on the twistiest of roads."

"...it cossets you in a relaxing cocoon of easy speed."

"...the V4 is smooth at normal speeds and sounds like a firework factory when the VTEC allows all four valves to do their thing."

• Member Contributer
On 12/27/2017 at 7:11 AM, gray said:

The MCN article is good for all of the 8th gen vfr 800/Interceptor current and future owners out there. Having just checked out the Ducati SuperSport S in that trick matte white in person I was impressed with most everything about it. The fit/finish was top notch+the lower weight, little smaller size was good. It reminded me of the time years ago looking at 98 Ferrari 355's vs Acura NSX's .The Ferrari had more style,sound and performance but I just could not see the cost of ownership being close to the NSX. It was also  almost double the price, just like the difference in these two bikes right now .  I just got a "new leftover" white 2014 Interceptor and could not be happier with it.If I had the extra money I still don't know if I would have bought the Ducati over the Interceptor, but..... I do know that I am still happy with my NSX and never regretted that decision after all these years.

Great analogy!  They just featured both the old and new NSX on Jay Leno's Garage - Jay rode around with, of all people, Ted Koppel :tongue:  Congrats on your new bike!

2 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

Great analogy!  They just featured both the old and new NSX on Jay Leno's Garage - Jay rode around with, of all people, Ted Koppel :tongue:  Congrats on your new bike!

It would be a bad-ass analogy, If only Interceptor kept the value like the NSX:). Those that kept their NSXs in the past 5-10 years, are very happy owners indeed.

Thanks GatorGreg........ My analogy was just comparing the Ducati/Ferrari vs Honda Interceptor vfr 800/Nsx . My point was not how they have held their value but what the cost of entry of ownership is right now. To me they are very similar in many ways but the looks and performance nod goes to Italy, while reliability and durability goes to Japan.The old saying "Speed cost money, how fast do you want to go?" will always be in play in this discussion.  FYI back around late 2002 I bought my second new Nsx with a $20,000 discount off the sticker as they weren't selling. My point was that even if I had the extra money, owning something that I know will be bullet-proof lets me sleep better.  P.S. The exhaust note on the cars and bikes from Italy always is better and that is the first thing I am changing on the Interceptor......mine will have a killer looking/sounding NEW system that makes it a lot sportier !Stay tuned same bat time same bat channel !!!

It would be a bad-ass analogy, If only Interceptor kept the value like the NSX:). Those that kept their NSXs in the past 5-10 years, are very happy owners indeed.

I wish I'd bought an S2000 when I was in college like I'd wanted to. It's almost as ridiculous as the NSX.

I think the Ferrari/NSX analogy might be a little extreme. A Ducati might not quite be a Honda, but I'd say it's more like, say, an E36 M3 vs NSX. I really don't think there's a Ducati in production you couldn't trust to get you coast to coast for roughly the same operating cost as a Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

I really don't think there's a Ducati in production you couldn't trust to get you coast to coast for roughly the same operating cost as a Honda.

LOL - surely you must be joking?  I wouldn't trust a Ducati to get me out of my own driveway - and it's downhill! :tongue:

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

I think you koolaid might be a little on the strong side.

It's true I am but one Honda fan boy who drinks Honda Kool-Aid for breakfast.  However the fallacy of your comment had to be pointed out.   A survey of eleven thousand motorcycle riders found Ducati's reliability is almost 3 times worse than Honda's.  Ducati folks will probably say it's "fake news" :tongue:  Either that or there's apparently enough Honda Kool-Aid floating around to supply Jonestown - LOL

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm?userWantsFull=true

Archived