What kind of Oil/Filter do y'all use?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 9/21/2018 at 4:56 AM, Bent said:

I use a motorcycle specific Amsoil oil and I'd like to see YOUR valid test data proving it isn't motorcycle specific.    

Amsoil MCT is motorcycle specific and Blackstone Labs valid test of Virgin oil samples show the exact base viscosity and additive package of $5 a quart Mobil 1 5w30 auto oil and motorcycle specific $12 a quart 10w30 Amsoil...  at operating temp of 212ºF both oils viscosity test are identical 10.54 centistokes  which supports the Amsoil rep in the video that Mobil 1 is their base...

VoaAsmoil10w30V5w30M1.jpg

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Amsoil MCT is motorcycle specific and Blackstone Labs valid test of Virgin oil samples show the exact base viscosity and additive package of $5 a quart Mobil 1 5w30 auto oil and motorcycle specific $12 a quart 10w30 Amsoil...  at operating temp of 212ºF both oils viscosity test are identical 10.54 centistokes  which supports the Amsoil rep in the video that Mobil 1 is their base...

VoaAsmoil10w30V5w30M1.jpg

Thank you for the information.  I don't use 10W-30 oil in anything I own.  I use what functions and works best in my motorcycle and other equipment with gasoline burning engines.  I have to doubt that Amsoil uses Mobil 1 as it's base since Amsoil has been manufactured longer than Mobil 1 has been.  It really doesn't matter.  As I've stated many times, I have yet to ever see an engine fail due to oil failure when the manufacturer's recommended oil was used and changed on time.  THAT's what counts.  Maybe that's why I own three cages with over 500K miles on them combined (one with 253K miles that is currently on a 1500 mile round trip) and none of them consume oil and all of them run as good as the day they were new.  None of them have Mobil 1 in them either.  Cost is not a factor I care about either so that might be meaningful to other people.  I'm glad you're happy with your oil.  I'm happy with mine. Onward for a beautiful Sunday in paradise.        

• Member Contributer
On 9/20/2018 at 9:00 AM, JZH said:

You haven't seen anyone post contradictory test reports, either, for which there would be a much greater reason than to simply corroborate someone else's findings.  In fact, that guy is so obnoxious there's an even greater incentive to show he's full of it, but nobody's done it.  Maybe there's a reason?

Ciao,

JZH

Absence of contradictory data is neither a positive nor a negative.  As a researcher (though I don't publish nearly as much as I'm doing more managing R&D and Business Development) or former researcher, I think his hypothesis has some merit.  HOWEVER, single data points are anecdotal at best.  That said, if we had an idea of the precision and accuracy of several batches of oil, over multiple tests we could put some value on the confidence on a single measurement.  Basically, I think a single measurement can be somewhat accurate (has error bars) but batch testing and batch to batch tesing is also important to understand consitency/quality of a single formulation over multiple production runs.  

Also, while a test can be self consistent, it is not necessarily consistent or proportional with real-world use.  "real world" use is also not well defined.  One of us here posted that they follow Honda's recommendations and never had an oil related engine issue...well to that I say, probability has been kind to you, but it is not always kind to those more than a few sigma from how you maintain and use vehicles or the vehicles you purchased.  Rat blog guy however, is at least attempting to put some methodology out there though to my eye, he doesn't do research...othewise there would be many more caveats on his data instead of "truth" or "facts" touted so heartily.  

Just a couple cents of mine.

Matt Roth

• Member Contributer

I rub one out before every ride and I've never had a lubrication -related engine failure.

Clearly that's the way to prevent mechanical problems and the oil brand is entirely secondary.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived