What kind of Oil/Filter do y'all use?

• Member Contributer

MOTUL for the win!!

IMAG0671.thumb.jpg.c9ee1b118ba0efb4198d345da9c38a32.jpg

I use 5100 fwiw. Chatted with one of MOTUL's rocket scientists at Assen and this confirmed my choice... :-)

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
12 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Where are buying Amsoil cheaper than Mobil1???

Mobil 1 synthetic market share is 80%...  consequently they offer 4 different 30 grades... the one I personally use in Mr.RC45 and a majority VFRD use is 5W30 API SN... ranked 14 on 540Rats wear protection list...

shopping5.jpg

I can buy it cheaper at 3 motorcycle shops where I live cheaper than Mobil 1 and if I want to buy Amsoil even cheaper, I can mail order it.  Again, the only reason I use it is because my transmissions shift better.  That is indisputable by anyone because I'm the only one that rides my bike.  Over and out on this thread for me.  Oil threads contain subjective information or opinions 99% of the time.  My opinion for me is all I care about.  I've still never have heard of an engine failure in any kind of engine that had manufacturer's recommended oil in, changed on time,  so it really isn't an issue for me.  It's no different than bath soap.  Just take a bath!

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, Dutchy said:

MOTUL for the win!!

I use 5100 fwiw. Chatted with one of MOTUL's rocket scientists at Assen and this confirmed my choice... 🙂

MOTUL is the world's most expensive motor oil...amazing.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Bent said:

I can buy it cheaper at 3 motorcycle shops where I live cheaper than Mobil 1 and if I want to buy Amsoil even cheaper, I can mail order it.  Again, the only reason I use it is because my transmissions shift better.  That is indisputable by anyone because I'm the only one that rides my bike.  Over and out on this thread for me.  Oil threads contain subjective information or opinions 99% of the time.  My opinion for me is all I care about.  I've still never have heard of an engine failure in any kind of engine that had manufacturer's recommended oil in, changed on time,  so it really isn't an issue for me.  It's no different than bath soap.  Just take a bath!

I'm not sure the Rat blog is only "opinion"...as he actually is performing a "wear test" to obtain actual data.  The Opinion is in that that test reflects real world use--in that he implies that it does the best representation of wear properties of oil...THAT is his opinion. supported by data. At least he is basing his opinion not on how something feels...but how it performs in a test.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, Bent said:

I can buy it cheaper at 3 motorcycle shops where I live cheaper than Mobil 1 and if I want to buy Amsoil even cheaper, I can mail order it.

Name the motorcycle shops where Amsoil is cheaper than Mobil 1???

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, zupatun said:

I'm not sure the Rat blog is only "opinion"...as he actually is performing a "wear test" to obtain actual data.  The Opinion is in that that test reflects real world use--in that he implies that it does the best representation of wear properties of oil...THAT is his opinion. supported by data. At least he is basing his opinion not on how something feels...but how it performs in a test.

But of course they're his opinions, supported by his "data", collected from his tests. Not exactly unbiased results. And should be easy to replicate by an

independent lab, but I have no idea whether they have been.

• Member Contributer

What I like about 540Rat's data is all 230 oils are subject to the
same test and out of that standard comes the worlds first wear
protection ranking... the value is like having 230 bikes tested on the
same Dyno versus 1 bike tested on 230 Dynos...

540 Rat view count increases by about 5,000 views per month and the
majority of the opinions are supportive... there are a growing number
of people worldwide who recognize the value and understand the
importance and make use of 540 Rat motor oil test data... FACTS
presented there cannot be found anywhere else... have a look and
judge for yourself...

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, zupatun said:

At least he is basing his opinion not on how something feels...but how it performs in a test.

True... oil testing is understanding and not one feeling that may be
opposed by another feeling but not by the holy trinity of science of
1)Reason 2)Observation 3)Experience......

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, BusyLittleShop said:

What I like about 540Rat's data is all 230 oils are subject to the
same test and out of that standard comes the worlds first wear
protection ranking... the value is like having 230 bikes tested on the
same Dyno versus 1 bike tested on 230 Dynos...

540 Rat view count increases by about 5,000 views per month and the
majority of the opinions are supportive... there are a growing number
of people worldwide who recognize the value and understand the
importance and make use of 540 Rat motor oil test data... FACTS
presented there cannot be found anywhere else... have a look and
judge for yourself...

Where is any supporting data? If his results are so excellent they should be easy to duplicate, where are the results from

other testers? The only way you know they are "facts" is because he says they are. You have his word and nobody else's

test results to back him up. All I want to see is supporting test results, should be easy to find. Where is it?

• Member Contributer
On 9/18/2018 at 8:07 PM, zupatun said:

MOTUL is the world's most expensive motor oil...amazing.

Eur 40 for 4 litre is comparable with CASTROL and the likes over here.

The fact yous pays so much for it is probably the result of renaming french fries into freedom fries.  Payback is a biatch eh? :tongue: 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Where is any supporting data? If his results are so excellent they should be easy to duplicate, where are the results from

other testers? The only way you know they are "facts" is because he says they are. You have his word and nobody else's

test results to back him up. All I want to see is supporting test results, should be easy to find. Where is it?

I would love to compare Rat's data with another independent's 230 oil test but unfortunately there are more TALKERS than DOERS not to mention cost of 230 quarts of oil...

• Member Contributer

This is a solution in search of a problem!

Honda includes an owner's manual with their products. Just follow the instructions. My Honda motorcycles (5),  lawn mowers (2), and autos (8) have never had an oil related issue. Fun to discuss though.  

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

I would love to compare Rat's data with another independent's 230 oil test but unfortunately there are more TALKERS than DOERS not to mention cost of 230 quarts of oil...

Hell, if his results are so fantastic and reliable, a person could see how their test results stack up with a relatively small sample of

10-20 oil tests. If the results are the same as his on those samples then it's a good chance that his results are pretty good across the

board. But I haven't seen anyone post corroborative test results, maybe there's a reason.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Hell, if his results are so fantastic and reliable, a person could see how their test results stack up with a relatively small sample of

10-20 oil tests. If the results are the same as his on those samples then it's a good chance that his results are pretty good across the

board. But I haven't seen anyone post corroborative test results, maybe there's a reason.

Maybe the reason is everyone wants someone else to do the necessary work because oil testing is not as fun as riding...

• Member Contributer
On 9/18/2018 at 4:12 PM, BusyLittleShop said:

Name the motorcycle shops where Amsoil is cheaper than Mobil 1???

No I'm not going to do that just because you think you deserve an answer to an unnecessarily useless question and yes, I can buy it cheaper than Mobil 1 motorcycle oil..  I thought you were above that.  None of the oils you posted where made for motorcycles with wet clutches.  You think you know more than cycle manufacturers?  I don't.   

I just don't fall for those kind of cheap shots and yes, I can buy it cheaper in local retail establishments.  Price isn't the reason I buy it anyway as stated in my post.  Why don't you just call me a liar and don't be patronizing to me while you're at it, Bud.   You're not going to buy oil from the Southeast anyway so why ask that kind of question?   Any credibility you might have had went out the window with me. If you don't like someone's post just pass on it but don't post that kind of useless shit in a thread that started out with a good question.  Your kind of antagonism has no place here.       

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

You haven't seen anyone post contradictory test reports, either, for which there would be a much greater reason than to simply corroborate someone else's findings.  In fact, that guy is so obnoxious there's an even greater incentive to show he's full of it, but nobody's done it.  Maybe there's a reason?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

This is very true, but you'd think a marketing department would be all over his results. Everybody wants to be

"The Best" or at least better than most.

Maybe they don't try to discredit him because it would actually help to give him credibility where they don't think

any is warranted. Reputable scientists rarely rebut statements from The Flat Earth Society.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this joker. However we do agree that he is seriously obnoxious.

• Member Contributer
On 9/18/2018 at 1:09 PM, zupatun said:

As my post said, I use Amsoil for my reason which is not an opinion but my experience.  What difference does it make to anyone else why anyone uses what they use?  This and BLS's shot is why I and a lot of other people hate oil threads.  They go nowhere and this one is has brought out the worst in some self proclaimed experts.  It just doesn't matter how someone thinks someone else spends THEIR money on THEIR bike.  Some people need to get a life.  I'm happy with mine.  

• Member Contributer

Bent it's those Scamsoil salesmen that ruin it for that product. It's marketed like Kirby vacuums, and that doesn't sit well with most people.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, Bent said:

You think you know more than cycle manufacturers?   

I don't know more than the manufactures but I do know what the
manufactures know because I've discussed in person this subject with
the engineers who work for Honda... Technically speaking Honda's wet
clutches are engineer to work with auto oil because they know that 90%
of motorcycle specific oil could indeed be auto oil like in your case
with Amsoil... also they know a growing number of Honda owners like
myself will end up preferring auto oil as their primary lubricant...

Shuhei Nakamoto HRC chief
SNakamotoLarry5.jpg

Paul Venture Honda USA R&D
3710884738_354da4b40f.jpg

Makota San Honda HRC R&D
gallery_3131_5511_48694.jpg

Matt Cardenas Honda R&D
3710884734_3b980226c5.jpg

• Member Contributer

Which is why I use M1 5W-30 in my 4th GEN (see above)

As a side note, I've been working on cars/bikes for 55 years (my dad started me on cleaning parts when I was less than 10) and RAT540's info pretty much is in line with my limited experience. Others may vary, which is why there is more than one brand/type/'weight' of oil. Keep it clean.

• Member Contributer
20 hours ago, thtanner said:

Bent it's those Scamsoil salesmen that ruin it for that product. It's marketed like Kirby vacuums, and that doesn't sit well with most people.

I agree with you.  I just look past that and use what works best in my motorcycle.  

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

I don't know more than the manufactures but I do know what the
manufactures know because I've discussed in person this subject with
the engineers who work for Honda... Technically speaking Honda's wet
clutches are engineer to work with auto oil because they know that 90%
of motorcycle specific oil could indeed be auto oil like in your case
with Amsoil... also they know a growing number of Honda owners like
myself will end up preferring auto oil as their primary lubricant...

Shuhei Nakamoto HRC chief
SNakamotoLarry5.jpg

Paul Venture Honda USA R&D
3710884738_354da4b40f.jpg

Makota San Honda HRC R&D
gallery_3131_5511_48694.jpg

Matt Cardenas Honda R&D
3710884734_3b980226c5.jpg

I call bullshit.  To say that 90% of motorcycle specific oil is like auto oil is an issue I would bet against.  it's ridiculous.  A few pictures of a few Japanese on motorcycles proves nothing.  I use a motorcycle specific Amsoil oil and I'd like to see YOUR valid test data proving it isn't motorcycle specific.  Secondly, you have no need to know what my local market is for the pricing on motorcycle oil and to question it is essentially calling me a liar when I have no reason to.  You need to be more careful in how you interact with people.  Nobody knows everything including experienced mechanics. 

I've used Amsoil in three different VFR's and two other brands of bikes requiring motorcycle specific oil with zero problems.  I think I'll depend on the owner's manual instead of a couple of Honda engineers that likely have no authority  You don't know who in the Honda organization specs. oil or why they specified motorcycle specific oil.  Only two engineers you met don't know unless they are the only two that had anything to do with specifying Honda VFR oil.  Honda employs thousands of engineers.  If VFR clutches are engineered to work with auto oil, it would logically be specified that way in the owner's manual.  This is an oil thread and what someone else uses might as well be respected because this is what happens when it isn't.  Otherwise, I think you have a lot of good things to offer the forum but owner's manuals have a lot to do with vehicles lasting a long time and performing well, not anecdotal shallow based information used to discredit other people for no productive cause or reason other than it goes against what you believe.         

• Member Contributer

Just anecdotal, but I've used nothing but automotive oil in any motorcycle I've ever owned. Never any issues, nor would

I expect there to be. I mean what's has to be so special about motorcycle oil? Yeah, there are gears and clutches to cause

some shear, but that's about it.

Motorcycles today aren't that much different than they were 30 years ago. Why would they require special oil? Automobile

engines are much more high performance than they used to be so the oil required for them is even better now than it used

to be. The only real thing to avoid in automotive oil is something that would cause the clutch to slip.

It's your money and if you want to spend it on unnecessarily on motorcycle specific oil go for it. Personally I'll spend most

of my money on beer and BBQ, the rest of it I'll just waste. :beer:

Archived