What kind of Oil/Filter do y'all use?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Amsoil 10W-40 because the transmissions on every VFR I've owned (3) shifts best with that oil and I use a Honda OEM filter.  

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, thtanner said:

RIP, another $CAMSoil zombie. I'll notify your next of kin.

How does Amsoil hurt me?  I think it helps me in that it helps my VFR run and shift very well compared to other oils.  I don't like their marketing, it does cost a dollar LESS than other premium brands of synthetic oil, and I am not a zombie.  My next of kind just doesn't care about this subject so that should save you some time.  Have a nice day!  ; )

4 hours ago, Bent said:

How does Amsoil hurt me?  I think it helps me in that it helps my VFR run and shift very well compared to other oils.  I don't like their marketing, it does cost a dollar LESS than other premium brands of synthetic oil, and I am not a zombie.  My next of kind just doesn't care about this subject so that should save you some time.  Have a nice day!  ; )

Don’t let that get to you..I too have used amsoil. Cars, truck motorcycle for over 20 years, hi mileage vehicles, very extended drain intervals.....NEVER had a mechanical issue that was associated with lubrication, engine or drivetrain. 

• Member Contributer

Never used Amsoil in 50+ years of riding, " NEVER had a mechanical issue that was associated with lubrication, engine or drivetrain."

And used all the money I saved by not buying Amsoil to buy beer and BBQ. 

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, Bent said:

How does Amsoil hurt me?

It won't hurt you to know that 90% of Amsoil is Mobil 1 30 grade...

Amsoil rep states in this video that Mobil 1 0w30 SM is the base oil
to all their auto synthetics and Mobil 1 5w30 SN is the base to all
their diesel synthetics... in their view M1 is the premium POA... but
its up to you whether you want to spend $12.95 qt for Amsoil or $5.40
qt Mobil 1...

Quote Amsoil rep...

"0W30 is a better oil. the 0W30 is a premium synthetic in the 30
weights... and the reason for that is and you'll see some adds from
Mobil this is our our premium PAO their hacking their talking about it
now and this is what Amsoil has bought for years from Mobil for the
0W30 is the more expensive highly purified perfect PAO base stock from
Mobil it cost more money but it is the premium one... so their not
charging us this extra money for the 0W30 just to charge us extra money
they are paying more money for that superior base stock they buy to
go into it so it is the premium of the 30 weights. I think its the
same, I think its the same, no I think its the same base stock one
for a 5w30 for diesel and one 0W30 for gasoline application."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_iN_IJpSIU

https://www.youtube.com/embed/E_iN_IJpSIU

• Member Contributer

Always trustworthy to get technical information from a 'rep' who has 4th grade writing skills. Unless you typed out the 'quote', then it would make more sense.

• Member Contributer
52 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Always trustworthy to get technical information from a 'rep' who has 4th grade writing skills. Unless you typed out the 'quote', then it would make more sense.

Those are the reps words verbatim...

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

It won't hurt you to know that 90% of Amsoil is Mobil 1 30 grade...

Amsoil rep states in this video that Mobil 1 0w30 SM is the base oil
to all their auto synthetics and Mobil 1 5w30 SN is the base to all
their diesel synthetics... in their view M1 is the premium POA... but
its up to you whether you want to spend $12.95 qt for Amsoil or $5.40
qt Mobil 1...

Quote Amsoil rep...

"0W30 is a better oil. the 0W30 is a premium synthetic in the 30
weights... and the reason for that is and you'll see some adds from
Mobil this is our our premium PAO their hacking their talking about it
now and this is what Amsoil has bought for years from Mobil for the
0W30 is the more expensive highly purified perfect PAO base stock from
Mobil it cost more money but it is the premium one... so their not
charging us this extra money for the 0W30 just to charge us extra money
they are paying more money for that superior base stock they buy to
go into it so it is the premium of the 30 weights. I think its the
same, I think its the same, no I think its the same base stock one
for a 5w30 for diesel and one 0W30 for gasoline application."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_iN_IJpSIU

https://www.youtube.com/embed/E_iN_IJpSIU

It can have caramel flavoring in it and I don't care.  Like I said, it's a dollar a quart cheaper than Mobil 1 where I live, I've ridden three VFR's very hard for many years with Amsoil in them, I never have had a lubrication problem using it (or any other branded oil in any kind of engine in my lifetime), it is the oil that, for some reason, my bike shifts best, so that's why I use it.  No, I don't like their marketing methods but I don't trust Mobil 1 any longer because they're always coming out with a special oil for every circumstance they can think of (oil for yearly changes...really?).  Oil in a VFR is just not that complicated.  Like a lot of people, I change mine at 4K miles instead of the recommended 8K miles and it just works with no lube issues.  I think this is another dreaded oil thread......

• Member Contributer

If you believe in his logic...AMSOIL puts out very high numbers for engine wear rating tests...

From this dude's blog:  https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

The “WEAR PROTECTION RANKING LIST” itself, begins here:

1. Prolong Engine Treatment added to 5W30 Pennzoil Ultra, API SN synthetic = 136,658 psi
This oil on its own WITHOUT the Prolong Engine Treatment added to it, has a wear protection capability of 92,569 psi. With the recommended amount of Prolong added per qt, its wear protection capability “WENT UP 48%”.
The data here provides information on wear protection capability, but does NOT provide any information as to how compatible this product’s chlorine may be with a given oil’s additive package. Chlorine and additive package incompatibility has a possible risk of creating damaging bearing corrosion problems. There have been legal issues with this product that you can Google for yourself. Contact Prolong’s maker for more information on compatibility, to find out if it is safe to use in your application. The test data on Prolong is included in my Ranking List for informational purposes only, because of requests I have received about testing this product. But, I do not endorse nor recommend its use. It is always best to simply choose a highly ranked oil in the first place, and avoid using any aftermarket additives at all.
2. 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,840 psi
The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification. And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Fall 2017. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from “ANY” motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true. And this is further proof that you do NOT need heavy thick viscosity to provide such impressive wear protection.

As it stands in Fall 2017, Amsoil Signature Series synthetic motor oils, hold the top two positions in my Wear Protection Ranking List for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Motor oils have to be EXTREMELY GOOD to perform that well in my Engineering torture test on motor oil. Amsoil knows what they are doing, and they have set the bar to a new very high level.

3. 5W30 Amsoil Signature Series, synthetic = 134,352 psi
The bottle does not have an API symbol, but it claims the oil can be used in applications that require API SN, GM dexos 1, ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1. It also claims to provide 75% better wear protection than required by the API SN specification (though it does say that claim is in reference to their 0W20 Amsoil Signature Series synthetic). And it claims 50% more cleaning power than Amsoil OE motor oil.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested Fall 2017.
The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category. And it produced the highest psi value ever seen in my testing, from any 5W30 motor oil just as it comes right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Very impressive. My test results confirm that Amsoil’s claim of this oil providing exceptional wear protection, is true. This oil could well be “THE MOTOR OIL OF CHOICE” for most High HP engines, including Bad Boy traditional American flat tappet pushrod engines, or for virtually any engine where 5W30 is used.

And I also went on to test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. This oil had only a modest 7% drop in capability. But, even at that elevated temperature, it produced an impressive 124,573 psi, which still kept this much hotter and thinner oil in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.

In addition, I also tested this oil at 130*F, which is an oil temperature in the middle of the range of the Sequence IVA Wear Test (ASTM D6891) = 123,882 psi, which still had it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category, even though this value is about an 8% drop from the normal 230*F test temperature’s psi value. NOTE: An engine warming up, will transition right past this temperature as it heats up to its normal operating temperature.

So, here are the three temperatures I tested this oil at, put together for easy comparison:
130*F = 123,882 psi
230*F = 134,352 psi
275*F = 124,573 psi
As you can see, there is no meaningful difference between these three psi values, and as mentioned above, all three psi values are in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category. So, none of these temperatures had any negative affect on the oil’s wear protection capability.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was 295*F.

As it stands in Fall 2017, Amsoil Signature Series synthetic motor oils, hold the top two positions in my Wear Protection Ranking List for oils just as they come, right out of the bottle, with no aftermarket additives. Motor oils have to be EXTREMELY GOOD to perform that well in my Engineering torture test on motor oil. Amsoil knows what they are doing, and they have set the bar to a new very high level.

Here’s a June 2018 Testimonial regarding Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series oil, sent by a Blog reader from Greece, which proved ONCE AGAIN that my motor oil Engineering Test Data “EXACTLY MATCHES” real world racing experience, as I have always said. It also proves ONCE AGAIN, that all my critics are DEAD WRONG, and have no idea what they are talking about, regarding motor oil and its performance capabilities. If you want the FACTS about motor oil, you need to read this Blog.

For reference below, Amsoil 10W30 Dominator Racing oil, produced a far lower 97,118psi, in my testing. The higher the psi value an oil can produce, the better the wear protection. Here is what he said in his Testimonial:

There are other oils that meet his "100,000 psi" values for "excellent" performance.  The Mobil Racing 4T does reasonably well.  Most of these oils are 30w oils...

• Member Contributer
On 9/16/2018 at 6:09 AM, Bent said:

Like I said, it's a dollar a quart cheaper than Mobil 1 where I live,

No, I don't like their marketing methods but I don't trust Mobil 1 any longer because they're always coming out with a special oil for every circumstance they can think of (oil for yearly changes...really?).

Where are buying Amsoil cheaper than Mobil1???

Mobil 1 synthetic market share is 80%...  consequently they offer 4 different 30 grades... the one I personally use in Mr.RC45 and a majority VFRD use is 5W30 API SN... ranked 14 on 540Rats wear protection list...

shopping5.jpg

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, zupatun said:

If you believe in his logic...AMSOIL puts out very high numbers for engine wear rating tests...

True Amsoil numbers are ranked 2 and 3 respectfully  but only their latest 20 and 30 grades... Amsoil 40 grade is ranked way down in 96th and 110th out of 244 possible...

Quote 540Rat

So, as you can see, this is absolute PROOF that viscosity does NOT determine an oil’s wear protection capability, even though many people mistakenly believe it does. As mentioned above, an oil’s wear protection capability is determined by its base oil and its additive package “as a whole”, with the primary emphasis on the additive package, which contains the critical extreme pressure anti-wear components. And the additive package has nothing to do with viscosity.

VISCOSITY vs WEAR PROTECTION CAPABILITY COMPARISON:

20 wt oils rank between number 2 and 212.
30 wt oils rank between number 1 and 223.
40 wt oils rank between number 5 and 211.
50 wt oils rank between number 37 and 220.
60 wt oil, the only one tested, ranked number 97.
70 wt oil, the only one tested, ranked number 169.

In conclusion a 30 grade will meet and exceed your mileage expectations just as much as a 40 and 50 grade...

Ranked 14 . 5W30 Mobil 1, Advanced Full Synthetic, API SN, = 117,799 psi

Ranked 82. 10W40 Mobil 1 Racing 4T, four stroke Motorcycle oil, synthetic = 93,661 psi

Ranked 150. 20W50 Mobil 1 V-Twin 4 Cycle Motorcycle Oil, API SJ, synthetic = 75,855 psi

Ranked 178. 15W50 Mobil 1, API SN synthetic = 70,235 psi

540Rat5W30Mobil1Label.JPG

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, thtanner said:

Geez, I was just making a joke and this happened.

No joke... we can learn a lot in a good oil thread... because oil are like tires... it pays to be current on the latest developments...

• Member Contributer
On 9/9/2018 at 6:34 AM, thtanner said:

Honda GN4 / Honda OEM filter

Inexpensive and reliable, like a Honda should be. 🙂

Honda GN4 is non synthetic whereas Honda HP4S is 100% synthetic...

Ranked 192. 10W30 ProHonda HP4S, 4 Stroke Motorcycle Oil, API SJ, synthetic = 66,852 psi

Honda $7.20 a quart GN4 non synthetic versus Mobil 1 $5.40 a quart 5w30 full synthetic...

VoaM1versusGN4.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, gig said:

Where does the "Motul 300V Ester 5W30" rank

22. 5W30 Motul 300V Ester Core 4T Racing Oil, synthetic = 112,464 psi
This Motorcycle Road Racing oil is from France and comes in liter bottles (slightly more than a quart). At the time this oil was tested in spring 2014, it cost $24.25 per bottle. And with the shipping cost added to that, the final cost was about $33.00 per bottle (shipping was all inside the U.S.), making it THE most expensive motor oil I’ve ever tested.
zinc = 1724 ppm
phosphorus = 1547 ppm
moly = 481 ppm
calcium = 3141 ppm
TBN = 7.4
This oil contains sufficient amounts of the components required (detergent, acid neutralizer, etc) for normal change intervals in street driven vehicles. But, it has way too much zinc/phos for use in cat equipped vehicles. However, it is well suited for Race Cars, Street Hotrods and Classic cars.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, gig said:

Where does the "Motul 300V Ester 5W30" rank

Ranked 22. 5W30 Motul 300V Ester Core 4T Racing Oil, synthetic = 112,464 psi

Archived