European Tour (UK <-> Großglockner), July '17

BiKenG

As per usual I am running a European bike tour again this year and we have space for another couple of bikes/riders to join us. So was wondering if anyone here fancies coming along. Here's the basic info:-

Leaving the UK on 4th July and returning on 13th so about 9 days total. The basic premise will be to ride to the Großglockner in Austria on the best biking roads I can find (all pre-planned so no fannying about along the way trying to decide which way to go), spend a day dashing up and down and around the Großglockner and then return with the same priority of fantastic, albeit different, roads for great riding. Having said that, anyone is free to ride their own choice of route between the hotel stops.

I've been doing this for years and although not yet to the Großglockner, I can assure anyone interested that the riding will be extremely good, a far cry from what we have to put up with these days in the UK. It's the best riding I've ever done and hence why I do it every year. Mohawk on this forum can attest to the great riding (and hopefully the great fun to be had in general :wink:)

As some of you may know, I used to work for Honda UK and this year the others on the trip will be mainly ex Honda personnel. Some from UK, some from Netherlands and also from Japan. There would be more, but several have had to drop out and hence we could do with a couple more to fill the space. I'm hoping for about 10 bikes total.

As far as costs go, it's all down to the individual. There is no charge for this facility. I plan the trips but anyone who comes just pays whatever it costs them. This is NOT a business, I just do it for fun. So the costs will be the channel crossing (EuroTunnel), fuel, food and drink along the way and of course the Hotels. I try to find 'nice' hotels that will provide a pleasant evening to relax, unwind and generally talk bikes (normally with specific reference to the day's ride) for not too much money. It usually averages at a bit less than €100/night, probably a bit more if you take the evening meal into account.

If anyone is interested, please let me know ASAP. I will require a €200 Euro deposit to confirm your commitment, but the primary reason for this is actually because hotels usually want deposits up front and so we just have to go along with their requirements. This will of course be deducted from costs during the actual trip. So it is NOT in addition to the other costs, it is just an advance payment, as I said because the hotels demand it.

No more details required here I think. Anyone interested can contact me through this forum, either a PM or this topic.

• Member Contributer

Sounds terrific. :cheerleader:

Can't commit right now but I'll be watching. Hopefully you'll still have a spot by the time I make up my mind. :unsure:

Otherwise, I'll be expecting a ride report with pictures (lots). :goofy: :beer:

Archived