MotoGP 2017 season talk SPOILER ALERT

SEBSPEED

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, RobF said:

Finally, I have a question for the experts: What keeps Rossi from dominating like he did ten years ago? I understand why NBA or NFL players age out of their prime, but MotoGP seems like it would not be quite as physically demanding as those sports and, at 38, VR isn't really *old*. What is it about aging that offsets VR's considerable advantages in experience and knowledge? Is it a reduction in strength? Reflexes? Endurance? Reckless abandon?

Rob, I agree with all of henley's comments. I would add two more:

1. Remember when you pinned it out of a corner, WFO, through 6th gear? And when you got into a corner so hot that the rear was dancing everywhere, but you saved it, somehow? And how your heart was in your throat? Well, you get the idea. That's all these guys do for about 22 laps. Pin it, then immediately brake at max speed, lean until their elbows touch, then repeat, lap after lap. In traffic. In 110% humidity in Sepang. Peak endurance combined with split second mental and physical precision. Rossi is fit but will never again be as fit as a 24-year old. And his neurons probably are firing a nanosecond slower these days. 

2. Have you seen a motogp race live? As a rider you will be blown away. Not only will you appreciate the incredible skill required, but unlike the NBA or NFL these guys are also risking their lives at 200 mph. I was fortunate to attend my first European gp at Mugello in June. The passion of 100,000 Italian fans at a perfect track was intoxicating. One of the greatest sporting events I have ever been to. 

Obviously I'm a fan, and biased. But its all true. Tires were probably a bigger factor this year than most, especially for the Yamahas, but 2017 was one of the best seasons ever. And Philip Island was the best race.

Archived