MotoGP 2017 season talk SPOILER ALERT

SEBSPEED

Why hasn't this been started yet? lol

Disappointing Argentine appearance for Honda... what are they missing this year that Yamaha isn't?

Good showing by most of the premier class new guys, Zarco looks to be a wild one and I'm interested to see if the "Folger" becomes a "Fuehrer"... 

What a great feeling for Vinales... still a Honda fan but can't deny that Yamaha team's ability to set up a bike.

And no, I don't feel bad for Lose-oro Lorenzo... be fun to watch him learn to ride the Duc, if he can...

• Member Contributer

According to the Honda riders, the Honda still seems to have software issues and with acceleration in particular. Both Cal and Marquez seem to do best with late braking in order to keep up. Probably why Marquez went down, too much front brake.

Honda definitely needs to do something as Yamaha seems to have the ticket right now, even with the satellite bikes and I'll add, in WSBK too. Both Bradl and Hayden are suffering while the Yamaha's are at least up front, until the Kawasakis and Ducatis take over.

Honda, Ducati and Suzuki didn't do well in Argentina. Poor Dovi, can't seem to catch a break in Argentina. Being that Austin is one Marquez better tracks, hoping he can do better than the first two races.

• Member Contributer

My analysis of the teams at Argentina:

Honda - Their bike has an unrideable engine this year. Turn 2 at Rio Hondo has bad grip so their usual habit of floating the rear to swing it out resulted in them tucking the front. MM93 is under pressure for the first time in GP, he's learned that crashing hurts, he's trying to learn but maturing hurts.

Yamaha - MV is the heir apparent unless he gets too much ego and cracks. They seem to have a winning package as usual. Rossi might take second in the championship or if everyone else cracks he might win from third.

Ducati - Who knows, if only they could not crash.

Suzuki - Pretty much.

Aprilla - Still playing catchup. They seem to have the handling and speed, but just not enough of it.

KTM - Same as Ape.

Tech 3 Yamaha - I feel like they might win the independent championship. Zarco and Folger really have their shit together and seem to be consistent riders.

LCR - Crutchlow is a good racer when he isn't crashing. Maybe LCR figured out that they need to give him a consistent bike instead of changing shit all the time. If only it rained all the time he'd probably do better.

• Member Contributer

Despite MV's 2 for 2, the first two races have been great entertainment. I have to go back to Phillip Island 2015 for a race I enjoyed more.

Interesting to me is to watch parc ferme, where VR46 has gone out of his way to show how he is best friends with his new teammate MV. Obviously this is a poke at last year's factory Yamaha teammate, but I also think this is genuine. I believe that VR is almost as happy finishing 2nd and beating Lorenzo and Marquez as he would be winning. Especially since his teammate is Spanish, and is already eclipsing the other Spanish aliens.

And, although I have no idea how the season will play out, it blows me away to see MM already being overtaken by the next New Kid in Town.

I have tickets for TWO motogp's this year, can't wait!

P.S. Poor Dovi, his new Ducati graphics should just be a bullseye...

• Member Contributer

That short straight looked bumpy and combine that with the transition, looked like it was too much for the Honda set up.  MM looked very fast for the first few laps, Dani even seemed to pick up the pace once he got a little clear track.  Texas is a MM track so we will see how he does.  The Ducs need to qualify better.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

I have tickets for TWO motogp's this year, can't wait!

Coming to Assen are you???  :goofy:

I'll let you ride my SP if you do!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Dutchy said:

Coming to Assen are you???  :goofy:

I'll let you ride my SP if you do!

Hmmm. Can you arrange a few laps at speed? Anyway, I thought you bought an RC51, not an SP. :wink:

Headed to Mugello to experience Rossi mania in all its glory.

Can anybody clarify if the Hondas were the 2017 bike or last year's bike? Could it be that they are still trying to get them dialled in ? I mean It was the same crash by both boys

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Lordy said:

Can anybody clarify if the Hondas were the 2017 bike or last year's bike? Could it be that they are still trying to get them dialled in ? I mean It was the same crash by both boys

My understanding is that they have a new engine but not sure about the chassis.

• Member Contributer
12 hours ago, St. Stephen said:

Hmmm. Can you arrange a few laps at speed? Anyway, I thought you bought an RC51, not an SP. :wink:

Headed to Mugello to experience Rossi mania in all its glory.

In the EU, the bike was sold as the VTR1000-SP.  Our VIN numbers read SC45, not RC51...  :-)

I'm not convinced there's anything worse about this years Honda bike than last years.  Marquez choose the wrong tire in Qatar.  He was fast in Argentina, but crashed.  I like Pedrosa but he's been slow most races for the past couple years (I think he's just in decline).

If Marquez doesn't crash anymore, he should still be able to fight for 1st place.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, jhenley17 said:

I know it's a stupid question and insulting to think the mechanics might have overlooked it, but are they using the ECU-G?

UM, sounds like no, as they are suffering from lack of acceleration. If they had used the ECU-G, they would have been able to release all of the factory power!

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

UM, sounds like no, as they are suffering from lack of acceleration. If they had used the ECU-G, they would have been able to release UNLEASH all of the factory power!

Fixed it for you! :wink:  :goofy:

• Member Contributer

There's a lot of cry foul over the tire choices at Argentina. Personally I think the sporting press is trying to generate a conspiracy and narrative where none exists. Consider that, like at Qatar, the race was held in different conditions than practice and qualifying.  Which means that none of the racers were able to really have a good 100% feel of what a specific compound would feel like on that track and in those conditions.

Hence riders tucking their front end on the admittedly bumpy corner entrance of T2 and others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Member Contributer

He certainly deserved it.  Valentino (stuck on nine world championships), look out behind you!

Ciao,

Man, what a great, dramatic, frantic, battle-filled and brimming with skill season! I hope 2018 is the same!

Not too excited to see Nick Harris go, wonder who Dorna will replace him with?

• Member Contributer

Watched my first season of MotoGP based on the enthusiasm here at VFRD. Some random thoughts as someone new to the spectator sport:

• Watching the first couple races, I found myself wondering: "What is being measured, here?" I don't really know the technical rules, but it seems like they are designed to homogenize the bikes to a large degree. So "Who can build the fastest motorcycle?" didn't really seem like exactly what was being measured. "Who is the fastest rider?" didn't seem on-the-nose either since there is enough variation across the bikes that it's difficult to make a straight rider-to-rider comparison. In the end, it seemed like tire-grip-management (by both bike and rider) was almost the dominant variable being measured in a race.
  • Was charmed by Nick Harris's crystal clear British elocution and boundless enthusiasm. Suspect his absence will be felt.
  • Was impressed by Marquez's total go-for-broke attitude in (almost!) every situation.
  • Favorite race: Japan. The water-soaked end-of-race dogfight between Marquez and Dovisioso was spectacular.
  • Watching Marquez save half a dozen low-sides across the season, I'm left thinking this is a game-changing technique. I don't think this technique would have been possible twenty or even ten years ago, but the lean angles are so extreme now that the low-siding rider does not have far far at all to fall. It seems elbow and knee saves are now feasible. If a MotoGP race is in large measure a question of who can spend the most time at the very limits of tire adhesion, then Marquez's proven ability to recover from the occasional miscalculation seems like a must-have skill for those who would challenge him.

mmsave.png.500f7e00575ed805fc5c59dbd613a3a0.png

Finally, I have a question for the experts: What keeps Rossi from dominating like he did ten years ago? I understand why NBA or NFL players age out of their prime, but MotoGP seems like it would not be quite as physically demanding as those sports and, at 38, VR isn't really *old*. What is it about aging that offsets VR's considerable advantages in experience and knowledge? Is it a reduction in strength? Reflexes? Endurance? Reckless abandon?

I think if you ever ride at race pace on a track, you'll understand how mentally and physically demanding it really is. All professional racers do a ton of cardio. Also working against Rossi is new talent coming up. It happens to every dominating driver/rider eventually.

I also think the bikes are more different than you give them credit for. Riders that change teams have to adapt, and sometimes can't. But the fuel and tire management is something common to all professional motor sports as well. They have to optimize their setup for riding style, weather conditions, track, tire wear, fuel consumption, etc. I'm sure you noticed, some riders just never get comfortable the entire weekend. They're not slapping in cartridge emulators and off-the-shelf Ohlins and HH pads like we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived