WSBK Laguna Seca here I come

YoshiHNS

In 2005 I moved to UT, rented a bike in San Jose and rode to Laguna-- easy peezy--- also ups'd my gear to the shop so had one carry on bag on the flight.

Just another option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Thinking about it. I see motel prices look better than last time I went, in 2011.

But with Hwy 1 closed in Big Sur, it takes away a BIG part of the fun. :unsure:

Lee,

We've often worked our way south to Cambria, then ridden PCH up to Monterey - not possible this year. One option G14 & G16 from Paso Robles to Carmel. Another is Indian Valley & Peach Tree roads, then Ca25 to Hollister. No doubt warmer & drier than the coast, though. My apologies if these routes are old hat to you.

18 hours ago, Lorne said:

Lee,

We've often worked our way south to Cambria, then ridden PCH up to Monterey - not possible this year. One option G14 & G16 from Paso Robles to Carmel. Another is Indian Valley & Peach Tree roads, then Ca25 to Hollister. No doubt warmer & drier than the coast, though. My apologies if these routes are old hat to you.

Thanks. I am not familiar with those. They don't exactly jump off the map do they?

Looks interesting, but probably slow and time consuming. Most likely hot hot hot.

One year riding up the temp dropped 40 degrees from inland to the coast.

Quite a change in an hour.

• Member Contributer

Lee, I should add that Indian Valley/Peach Tree are a bit of a goat trail - bumpy pavement, tight & twisty. But Ca 25 is one of my favourites, grippy pavement and nice curves make it great fun. 

G14 is mostly wide open sweepers through rolling grassland. G16 through Carmel Valley is tighter and hillier. Both make a great alternative to the bumpy monstrosity that is US 101.

Check them out with Google Earth, or sign up($20) to Pashnit for their write ups of all the good California roads:

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

• Member Contributer

When I was going LA-SF a lot I would always take this route: 405-5-166-33-198-25-101-280.  The four highways in the middle of that list could be ridden pretty damn fast without much risk of law enforcement, if I were so inclined (which I usually was!).  I-5 is mind-numbingly boring, but efficient.  101 is only if you want to drive forever and meet cops...

I'm not sure if my "old route" is still viable, but I'm going to try it again in August.  I expect there will be more law enforcement now.

Ciao,

Thanks Lorne, those are a bit far for a 1 day ride for me, so not familiar. Have done 33, Lockwood Valley, Cerro Noroeste, and some other roads near that area.

JZH, w/o trying to figure out your route on google maps it will probably be fine. I doubt you will see heavy enforcement where you did not before.

May see more solar panels than before though.

As for Laguna Seca, maybe next year.

• Member Contributer

Highway 198 & 25 were part of our Cental California rides we've done a few times, as well as 33 & 58. 166 is fun but has become a haven for CHP cruisers, particularly between the 101 and 33, so caution should be taken on 166, as it really likes a heavy throttle hand!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have some work to do before the writeup, but a few teaser shots.

20170712042508-85683713-sm.jpg

Getting the corkscrew down

20170712042436-181771bf-sm.jpg

Just short of what he wanted

20170712042421-2b70cbfc-sm.jpg

Three way battle

20170712042453-b8f1f490-sm.jpg

The importance of brand placement

20170712042346-b9c605aa-sm.jpg

Got everyones signatures, with Roger signing for Nicky, and bonus signature from Jake.

20170712042328-2977146f-sm.jpg

Johnny Rea. King of the Mountain. Probably my favorite racing picture that I finally got a signature on it.

Awesome pics.

Worked all weekend, only caught the MA 1000 race two. Always fun when nobody is running away with it. The track makes for a fun race to watch as well.

• Member Contributer

Whoa ho ho Yosh!!! thats an impressive number of sigs... you were keeping busy at the track... I was lucky to see you at all... but we had fun on the row... say hi to your Dad Tony!!!

Archived