Mystery black box

whiteknuckles

• Member Contributer

Anyone know what this black box is? I'm in the process of adding a distribution block and I came across this box. It's in the under seat compartment on the other side of the battery. It has only one wire bundle going in/out.  I opened it up and it contains a couple logic chips on a motherboard.  It connects to the same part of the harness that the kickstand safety switch attaches to. The only added electronics the previous owner added was heated grips, and I've accounted for all the connections associated with it.  I've looked through the shop manual and can't find this on the wiring schematic or in the electrical connects chapter. It's an '02, California bike.

1683_1.jpg

37eaf734-e952-441e-9671-92533141a02c.jpg

• Member Contributer

The twisted red and black wires are also not OEM.  Nor is the other black box (just below the bigger one in the top picture), unless I'm mistaken.  There should be a "service connector" somewhere, but it's a 2P according to the Haynes wiring diagram.

Is this an ABS model?

Ah, the VTEC Honda workshop manual (p.20-13) clearly shows that white 3P connector and says it is the speed sensor connector.  Are you sure it doesn't go to the speed sensor?

(The 2P green connector is indeed the side stand switch connector.)

Ciao,

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, VFR4Lee said:

Big Brother box from 1984. :goofy:

You might have something there.  There are those tracking gizmos that allow to recover a stolen bike.

Never seen one myself.

Archived