2014 Interceptor at the track

lazyeye

• Member Contributer

I had the opportunity to ride at Thunderhill Raceway yesterday with Keigwins.

Going into this I was a little apprehensive since the VFR is heavier than the last two bikes I rode on track (CBR600RR, R6). My last trackday was June 2015 when I crashed pretty hard and broke some bone. Now with a new bike, a lot of physical therapy, and a plate in my collarbone I decided to get back to the track.

First off Keigwins runs a fantastic trackday. They have lots of instructors and every manner of vendor is at the track. Coach Ken Hill was present and gave three lectures throughout the morning, along with answering all our dumb slow rider questions. They also sprung to pay for our pictures from GotBlueMilk.

The last time I rode Thunderhill was 2012 with a beat up 1999 R6 on Q2 tires. I had a best lap back then of 2:40.

My first session was pretty bad, I felt rigid and scared with lap times over 3 minutes. Throughout the day I improved my lap times, relaxed, got in touch with the bike (and worked with Dave Moss to tune the suspension) and brought my lap times down to a best of 2:44.

My video of "hot" laps in my last session: 

Compared to the 2006 CBR600RR I used to track the VFR is less nimble and doesn't accelerate as well. Part of that is my bad corner entry which doesn't allow me to get on the gas as quickly (I'm rusty), but the VFR IS heavier.

The 2014 VFR has excellent brakes though and the torque (as long as you keep the revs up) is great for corner exit. What it lacks in being lighter and nimbler it makes up for in stability. I feel like I could take my hands off the bars (if I locked the throttle) and it would hold a line. The suspension isn't particularly amazing (again, compared to the CBR) but it is perfectly adequate for my level of riding.

GBMA9498.JPG

GBMD8776.JPG

GBMD9791.JPG

• Member Contributer

Lazyeye thanks for posting the pics and video. Great that you got a dry track this early in the season!

It's good news that you were happy with Keigwins as I have signed up for my very first track day with them at the end of April. If you have any more tips or advice please pass them on--I'll be that guy asking all the dumb questions next month.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, St. Stephen said:

Lazyeye thanks for posting the pics and video. Great that you got a dry track this early in the season!

It's good news that you were happy with Keigwins as I have signed up for my very first track day with them at the end of April. If you have any more tips or advice please pass them on--I'll be that guy asking all the dumb questions next month.

Take Gatorade and snacks. The Thunderhill Grill has pretty decent breakfast and lunch options. Make sure you have a chair and a pop up canopy OR get there the night before and get a spot under one of the two large canopies. If you don't have your suspension set, its worth the $40 to have Dave Moss set it for you and then adjust it throughout the day to your riding style. You can leave your bike there overnight (remember to take locks for your bike and trailer) if you plan to stay in a motel.

Which bike are you taking?

• Member Contributer

Like that track.  Wonder with all the rain Cali is  getting about running off... Ionce ran off turn 7 at about 70mph or so...and it was a long ride to slow down in the dirt...woulda been a lot faster stop in the mud...

Matt

• Member Contributer

My first time at T-Hill in 2011 I ran off (in the rain) on my first lap off of turn 5. I managed to keep it upright down the hill in the mud then back onto the pavement. I got ridiculed horribly for it.

• Member Contributer
23 hours ago, lazyeye said:

Take Gatorade and snacks. The Thunderhill Grill has pretty decent breakfast and lunch options. Make sure you have a chair and a pop up canopy OR get there the night before and get a spot under one of the two large canopies. If you don't have your suspension set, its worth the $40 to have Dave Moss set it for you and then adjust it throughout the day to your riding style. You can leave your bike there overnight (remember to take locks for your bike and trailer) if you plan to stay in a motel.

Which bike are you taking?

I'm taking the RC51. 

I intended to do Thunderhill but the dates didn't work, so my first track day is actually at Laguna Seca. Kinda exciting, kinda intimidating. Maybe my track knowledge from being there as a fan so many times will help!

• Member Contributer

I'd love to ride Laguna Seca. I rode down there for WSBK last year.

They're pretty strict about noise there, make sure you have a stock and or quiet exhaust system.

Archived