Shenandoah/George Washington National Forrest ride this Saturday

artpongs

We are leaving DC around 7am Saturday morning.  Forecast is mid 70's high and mid 50's low.  Running out west on route 66 our first stop will be the Apple House for breakfast if you would like to join us.  Arrival there should be around 8:15am or so and probably be finished and ready to roll out from there by 9am.  Let me know if anyone else wants to join.  The loop is about 400miles and will be all day.  Back in DC area before dark.

Proposed route for us is here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FlsgexPSJJ42aYG3xChLP7-XWtY&usp=sharing

or try this one:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1FlsgexPSJJ42aYG3xChLP7-XWtY&ll=38.814298889421636%2C-78.24629770000001&z=9

Let me know if it works, google maps is a bit confusing.  Anyone else in the DC, NoVa area free to join us, and anyone else in the region feel free to join us at any part of our route.  We are going counter clockwise if you see the waypoints, and they are only for reference, we probably will be doing a bit more gas/snack/smoke/stretch breaks throughout.

Art

9 hours ago, RVFR said:

Sounds like a good time  Make sure you do a write up in how it all went please. with Photos ;)

Will do.  Spring is finally here in the mid-atlantic.  I guess we are considered NE which is the closest so I chose to post here.  It will be a good day for sure, I count about 6-7 mountain crossings.

Art

Met up with a VFR world forum member at our 2nd stop after the first mountain crossing Shenandoah at Carmella's Cafe in Edinburg. Will have to try their meatballs next time in the area. Proceeded north and then east into George Washington National Forest for a snack/beer/smoke/bathroom break at Seneca Rocks, an old school climbing area. 

IMG_3982.JPG

Snapseed.jpg

More ethanol free options in these parts than we have locally. Just shy of 400 miles, mix of valleys and mountain crossings and switchbacks.  Back to D.C. before dark and no close calls.  Looking forward for another run in the area but with camping next time to take advantage of more roads out there.

Art

IMG_3979.JPG

Archived