Jump to content
RVFR

5th & 6th VFR 800 Header build

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, RVFR said:

Photo of said 2 bro header in place  just in case folks haven't or would like to see.

2bro.jpg

 

Sharp photo, RVFR, made to order - clearly shows no crossover. Thanks for posting that.

 

Duc2V4, learning the measurements you offered to take will be muy informative.

 

gig, that’s great intel about Delkevic gaskets, made to order, working w your Two Brothers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2018 at 11:33 AM, sfdownhill said:

 

It certainly makes sense to pay close attention to getting stud spacing between 5th and 6th gens right.

 

IIRC... it isn’t the stud spacing but clock orientation of the exhuast studs; the 6th gen studs are clocked different to the 5th gen, that’s why spinning flanges solves the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

 

IIRC... it isn’t the stud spacing but clock orientation of the exhuast studs; the 6th gen studs are clocked different to the 5th gen, that’s why spinning flanges solves the issue.

 

That sounds right, Rush. On both my 5th gen and Hammerdrill’s 6th gen, the flanges on the 98/99 headers would only match up in one orientation...some of ‘em had to get spun around to fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, I wasn’t able to get to the measurements this weekend but will try later this week or next weekend, I had family obligations on Saturday and other things to resolve today. To get proper measurements it looks like I’ll need to remove the front wheel and body panels so I’ll need some time to do that to both bikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I touched base with Black Widow this morning:
 

AIbEiAIAAABECI2GqanJr8zixAEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKihkZjhlOWMzZTMyZDVmZjkyMDc0NDVhODFjNzU0MjZkOTllYmYyYjk3MAFuxUJA9dpWQMcF_az_ZyE-HI9kiQ?sz=24

Michael Spence <voided76@gmail.com>

11:50 AM (11 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
 
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to sales
cleardot.gif
Good Afternoon/Evening

So it's been 3 months since I pitched the idea/specs,  how has everything been going for the project?
I'm currently near Sri Lanka so I apologize for any weirdness in time or delivery.  Another thing to consider with the header is:  
The rear two cyls,  merge and exit to midpipe/silencer on the brand new 14-18 VFR are all nearly identical.  The front two pipes would need to be made to clear the new frontal radiator, while facilitating the change of the oil filter.  

Considering I now (only) own a 2014 VFR,  while I'm super interested for my buddies to finally get a header, a worthwhile adaptation for the new VFR is of particular interest to me now 🙂

Respectfully,
HM3 Michael C Spence
US NAVY
profile_mask2.png

sales@blackwidowexhausts.co.uk <sales@blackwidowexhausts.co.uk>

3:55 PM (7 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
 
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
 
Hi Michael,
We are developing an upgraded VFR800 1997-2002 header at the moment.
Thanks for your specs but we have our own data that we will be using.
Please watch our Facebook page for updates.
Best regards
 
Lincoln
 
Black Widow Exhausts Ltd
8 High Barns, Roxton, Bedfordshire MK44 3ET
Tel: +44 (0) 1234 871009

www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk

 

From: Michael Spence [voided76@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 May 2018 06:50
To: sales@blackwidowexhausts.co.uk
Subject: Re: VFR800 Race Headers
AIbEiAIAAABECI2GqanJr8zixAEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKihkZjhlOWMzZTMyZDVmZjkyMDc0NDVhODFjNzU0MjZkOTllYmYyYjk3MAFuxUJA9dpWQMcF_az_ZyE-HI9kiQ?sz=24

Michael Spence <voided76@gmail.com>

10:55 PM (0 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif
 
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to sales
cleardot.gif
Hello again!

By any chance are you willing to release any info on your specs?  Inner diameter of the primary tubes?
The gents on the VFR boards are literally beside themselves waiting on data, let alone results.

The 98-02,  also fits all the way up to 2009...  🙂
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Voided76, in your next communication with Lincoln, you might gently clarify that 5th gen 98-01 and 6th gen 02-09 are slightly different, then ask if the upgraded header they are developing is intended for one, the other, or both gens. Also, Honda produced 6th gens for Australia and some other countries through 2013.

 

I recognize your motivation to acquire a header for your 8th gen - I’d want one too - but I don’t see it being productive to ask Black Widow to double their current development efforts. Previous attempts to get VFR headers into production have been derailed by less.

 

Has anyone fitted 5th or 6th gen headers to 8th gen 2014-2018 VFRs?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The header shape would be different to  clear the lower front mount rad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keef's right.  but that's about the only thing actually different.  

 

The 8th gen primaries merge early on the back half then run to the collector,  but Delk's "new" 8th gen header runs two primaries all the way down in the same manner as a 5th or 6th,  so there's still aparently room to do it.  
'14-

s-l1600.jpg

 

'02-'13

s-l1600.jpg



Crazy Similar,  I'll bet it'd match right up.  

I wonder if you could in theory run a new school style header, use 3 rads on a 5-6th gen,  and have much improved cooling for a higher horsepower application?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering that Black Widow is still selling their "Sandy Bike Spares"-era 3rd-gen header/abomination, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high...

 

Ciao,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2018 at 3:37 AM, JZH said:

Considering that Black Widow is still selling their "Sandy Bike Spares"-era 3rd-gen header/abomination, I wouldn't get your hopes up too high...

 

Ciao,

 

+1

... and on the 8th gen headers pictured they have the rear down pipe slip fit connections backwards; the upstream pipe should fit inside the downstream pipe for optimum exhaust flow.  In addition, with this configuration you are more likely to have leaks and blow by past the slip fit connection. It looks pretty the way they have it but for exhaust gas flow performance it is backwards.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

 

+1

... and on the 8th gen headers pictured they have the rear down pipe slip fit connections backwards; the upstream pipe should fit inside the downstream pipe for optimum exhaust flow.  In addition, with this configuration you are more likely to have leaks and blow by past the slip fit connection. It looks pretty the way they have it but for exhaust gas flow performance it is backwards.

 

Sharp eye, Rush. Evidently they put engineering on par with a residential central vacuum system into their headers.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2018 at 6:39 PM, Duc2V4 said:

Hey all, I wasn’t able to get to the measurements this weekend but will try later this week or next weekend, I had family obligations on Saturday and other things to resolve today. To get proper measurements it looks like I’ll need to remove the front wheel and body panels so I’ll need some time to do that to both bikes.

So I was able to look at both a 5 Gen (1999) and my 6 Gen (2009) as well as my 2001 and took rudimentary measurements. Both appeared to be the same. Considering I put a set of 98-99 cat-less headers on my 09 the day I took these, I can say that I did not have any issues with things fitting.

 

I took pics of the 5 and 6 gens for giggles.

5 Gen (1999)

41340103385_b32921d6ac_k.jpg

 

6 Gen (2009)

42194711862_eb1941cd7c_k.jpg

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget the 8th Gen front pipes go wide around the lower radiator fan so as a completely different shape to the 5th/6th Gen.

 

Also, as I found when making up my own pipes from a set of RC45 ones, the rear headers need more room for the 6th/8th Gen cam chain tensioner as it sticks out a fair bit from the rear of the head.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2018 at 2:59 AM, Voided76 said:

So I touched base with Black Widow this morning:
 

AIbEiAIAAABECI2GqanJr8zixAEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKihkZjhlOWMzZTMyZDVmZjkyMDc0NDVhODFjNzU0MjZkOTllYmYyYjk3MAFuxUJA9dpWQMcF_az_ZyE-HI9kiQ?sz=24

Michael Spence <voided76@gmail.com>

11:50 AM (11 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
 
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to sales
cleardot.gif
Good Afternoon/Evening

So it's been 3 months since I pitched the idea/specs,  how has everything been going for the project?
I'm currently near Sri Lanka so I apologize for any weirdness in time or delivery.  Another thing to consider with the header is:  
The rear two cyls,  merge and exit to midpipe/silencer on the brand new 14-18 VFR are all nearly identical.  The front two pipes would need to be made to clear the new frontal radiator, while facilitating the change of the oil filter.  

Considering I now (only) own a 2014 VFR,  while I'm super interested for my buddies to finally get a header, a worthwhile adaptation for the new VFR is of particular interest to me now 🙂

Respectfully,
HM3 Michael C Spence
US NAVY
profile_mask2.png

sales@blackwidowexhausts.co.uk <sales@blackwidowexhausts.co.uk>

3:55 PM (7 hours ago)
cleardot.gif
 
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to me
 
Hi Michael,
We are developing an upgraded VFR800 1997-2002 header at the moment.
Thanks for your specs but we have our own data that we will be using.
Please watch our Facebook page for updates.
Best regards
 
Lincoln
 
Black Widow Exhausts Ltd
8 High Barns, Roxton, Bedfordshire MK44 3ET
Tel: +44 (0) 1234 871009

www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk

 

From: Michael Spence [voided76@gmail.com]
Sent: 11 May 2018 06:50
To: sales@blackwidowexhausts.co.uk
Subject: Re: VFR800 Race Headers
AIbEiAIAAABECI2GqanJr8zixAEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKihkZjhlOWMzZTMyZDVmZjkyMDc0NDVhODFjNzU0MjZkOTllYmYyYjk3MAFuxUJA9dpWQMcF_az_ZyE-HI9kiQ?sz=24

Michael Spence <voided76@gmail.com>

10:55 PM (0 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif
 
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to sales
cleardot.gif
Hello again!

By any chance are you willing to release any info on your specs?  Inner diameter of the primary tubes?
The gents on the VFR boards are literally beside themselves waiting on data, let alone results.

The 98-02,  also fits all the way up to 2009...  🙂

BW Not willing to share specs then?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't heard back from them,  so my guess is no,  at current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I touched base with BlackWidow on their FB page to see where they're at with production of the 5th/6th race header.

Waiting on an answer,  but scrolling back a month or so I have seen a LOT of race quality stuff coming out.  K7 GSXR,  ZX6R 2010, SV650,  ZRX11/12,  others as well.on the way.

It seems like a real possibility that the VFR header is at least developing along with the steady new releases coming out.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed boys.  

 

Not sure if this is their bike or whose this is, but it was Also featured on their webpage.

Could be their test and jig mule for the header though.  time will tell considering I'm pretty sure from the tone of the steel, it's a 6th gen header on that 5er.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2141146822830310&amp;id=1574792279465770&amp;comment_id=2141602119451447&amp;notif_t=feed_comment&amp;notif_id=1530396895659930&amp;ref=m_notif

So!

In case you can't get that to open:
"Good Morning Black Widow Exhausts,

I was advised a number of months ago to inquire about a race-spec VFR exhaust?
I've been deployed to the middle of the pacific and this is the first I have been able to inquire about this.
Any progress to report on this?  inquiring VFR owners want to know!"

"Hi Michael,
the VFR 98-01 header race specification header is nearly past our R&D stages of development.  A few minor changes,  and the last test set will be bent and laid next week.  Some more testing and we will hopefully get our anticipated results we are expecting.  

If approved in the next 2-3 weeks we will have headers to market in 2-3 months time.  We apologise for the wait,  but these will be the best VFR headers ever made."

Here.  We.  Go.  
I like being persistant. I really do.😎

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my God! Rocking horse poo available before Christmas! Could it be to good to be true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we'll certainly see,  won't we.  

my poking and prodding and emails I think might have finally paid off.  

...it only took 5 years.  😐

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now if we can just talk Dan in to reopening production of the 5th gen SC kit . . . well, ok - we can all fantasize, can't we??  :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fantacizing is exactly what a good third of the forums has been accusing us of when we wanted a legitimate race header for our bikes.

"just buy a faster bike" 

Never say never.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Dan would build the 8th gen torocharger I would buy one in a heartbeat

and an  8th gen to put it on, I mean that package needs something to push air into...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VFR800-VFR-800-02-13-V-TEC-RC46-SILENCERS-CI23R-CARBON-TITANIUM-END-SILENCERS/152650127825?epid=624854342&amp;hash=item238aa819d1:g:0lUAAOSwIclZhGJp&amp;vxp=mtr

So that must be the race inspired can setup for the 6th.

Is that globby looking thing of a header the header?

Or is that the old stuff?  I have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy.