5th & 6th VFR 800 Header build

RVFR

• Member Contributer

I went ahead and pinged BW, got the following reply -

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your email.

We do have the bike and are working on it now.

The 2002-2013 is still in development, we do not have a date for the release as there is still a lot of R&D to be done.

Best regards

Lincoln

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

One more tidbit - I also touched based with BW again and received this:

~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Nathan,

We have successfully completed all of our R&D on the 1998-01 VFR800 performance headers and will be doing a production run on them in the next 8-12 weeks.

They will be ready for Jan-Feb 2019 and are a a greatly improved and upgraded design. We have made some major changes to the design to improve the look, performance and fit while being compatible with the original muffler.

Please watch our Facebook page as we will announce the release there.

We will also be adding an email me when in stock option to our website nearer the completion date.

Kindest regards

Lincoln
~~~~~~~~~~~

Hopefully they come through and this is a legit performance pipe with some dyno testing to back it up. I am really pleased with the BW high mount I installed and it'd be nice to find some performance (a tall order) and weight savings over the stock pipe. 

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, adkfinn said:

One more tidbit - I also touched based with BW again and received this:

~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Nathan,

We have successfully completed all of our R&D on the 1998-01 VFR800 performance headers and will be doing a production run on them in the next 8-12 weeks.

They will be ready for Jan-Feb 2019 and are a a greatly improved and upgraded design. We have made some major changes to the design to improve the look, performance and fit while being compatible with the original muffler.

Please watch our Facebook page as we will announce the release there.

We will also be adding an email me when in stock option to our website nearer the completion date.

Kindest regards

Lincoln
~~~~~~~~~~~

Hopefully they come through and this is a legit performance pipe with some dyno testing to back it up. I am really pleased with the BW high mount I installed and it'd be nice to find some performance (a tall order) and weight savings over the stock pipe. 

**** Whoa!!! ****:beer:

8 hours ago, adkfinn said:

Yep, this.

I would hope their "R&D" has included back-to-back dyno runs against the (hopefully) 98-99 catless header, so there is empirical evidence of any claimed power/torque increases.

"If" there are reasonable gains, and "if" the header is demonstrably lighter than OEM, I could be talked into a set. 

• Member Contributer

Holy smokes, this is looking good.  I will be buying one as soon as it is released, getting it ceramic coated and will Dyno this beauty.

33 minutes ago, kave said:

Holy smokes, this is looking good.  I will be buying one as soon as it is released, getting it ceramic coated and will Dyno this beauty.

Good news. Make sure you dyno your existing one first, so we can all see back-to-back figures.

• Member Contributer

Just saw this on eBay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382587019138

Looks like Lextek are on the game too. I believe they are a Chinese outfit but make decent end cans (almost as good as Akrapovic but not quite, according to online reviews). 

I like the collector but downpipes look a bit square from the mandrel. No idea what size the tubes are but they don’t look thin. 

Stray 

Ya know,  that ain't a half bad looking system, way better than what's coming out over in Europe by what I've seen. Had I need one, I'd jump on this, if ,one they can be trusted to get it here. Looking at the bends and welds,  then how they did the rear collector tubes, very interesting.  then look at how they increased the size of the tubes. IMO this was thought out and look to be better than decent. Question now is,  who's buying one?  They also state what years, LOL   97 is a 4th gen,   02 is a 6th,  doh....But have O2 ports. No Cat... If one is needing a header, one should seriously be thinking about this one,  and at a price that seems way reasonable.  again who's game.   Nice find Stray  .  

• Member Contributer

The only problem I see with them pipes is that they pair the two rear and the two front. 

Very different to stock 5G two right and two left pairs. 

Tube size looks to be larger and well made.  

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, VFROZ said:

The only problem I see with them pipes is that they pair the two rear and the two front. 

Very different to stock 5G two right and two left pairs. 

Tube size looks to be larger and well made.  

VFROZ, I’m not a fluid dynamics expert so I ask out of pure curiosity: does it matter which downpipes are linked together?

I know it’s best to alternate the pulses at the link (you don’t want both pulses getting to the link at the same time as they’d collide and impede flow) but is there a reason to pair left and right rather than front and back? 

I believe the best way to achieve smooth linking is to make one pipe slightly longer than the other so the pulses enter the link at different times, although you also need to consider firing order too. 

Thats why race headers have some downpipes with more severe curls than others - the really curly one is the longer downpipe.

If you’re trimming air/fuel mixture with an O2 sensor for each bank of cylinders then splitting front and rear is best as I believe the rear cylinders run richer than the front. On OEM pipes the O2 sensor is picking up a mix of rich rear and lean front cylinder. On the Lextek your O2 sensor only picks up the two rich rear cylinders or two lean front cylinders. The Lextek gives better scope for tuning, no? 

On the other hand the stock ECU probably only has a single stoich setting. So getting one lean reading sensor (front) and one rich reading sensor (rear) will drive it mad. 

Conclusion: if you’re running a fuelling module (Rapid Bike, PC or Bazzaz, for instance) with per-cylinder tuning then you want a front/back split header. If you’re running the OEM system with two probes then you want the more balanced left/right split header. 

Have I messed this theory up? Does anything I say make sense any more? 

Again, please forgive my ignorance - I’m genuinely curious. 

Stray

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, RVFR said:

97 is a 4th gen,   02 is a 6th

RVFR, my 5th Gen is a1997. Must have been one of the first off the production line (Irish import I think, as it came in KPH rather than MPH). 

Do do you think it looks better than Delkevic? 

There’s a Motad system on eBay too. These are no longer made as company went bust. 

2 hours ago, Stray said:

RVFR, my 5th Gen is a1997. Must have been one of the first off the production line (Irish import I think, as it came in KPH rather than MPH). 

Do do you think it looks better than Delkevic? 

Oh yes. No question. But that doesn't necessarily mean it works any better.

Yes.. But looks are subjective..   jury is still out, but will say there's more thought in this one,  so did they do us right?  That still needs to be answered.    Awe, my Viffer was built 11/97 ,  My 4th gen was built 04/97

Anyone with the know how who want to take lead on this possibility? Exhaust are not my area of expertise, neither is English!

Edit:

Yes I have made contact with the shop manager, and yes they where interested.

Stumbled upon this company on one of the engine tuning places I spend my lazy days on Facebook.

The pics attached is what he sent me, proving quality of work, was built for a Ducati 888.

I think he can end our never ending headers project, and for the guys focusing on weights, they do titanium and inconel as well...

As always, these nice things never gets produced in my backyard (Norway) but I suspect there are some UK guys her as well. Had I been in England I'd sure put my bike with him this winter!

What do you think?

Links

https://www.cskraceexhausts.co.uk

https://www.facebook.com/CSKRaceExhausts

CSK Race Exhausts Unit F T: 01759 307 042Pocklington Ind Estate E: info@cskraceexhausts.co.ukPocklington S: @CSKRaceExhaustsYork YO42 1NP3112ef8e87f3150616978ea29a2c6901.jpg&key=afba3ce7d39be06a4d849cfd4bb2700974a4d1bdb94eb1fc220dc1cdff8b33b59a514f1f8b7588c2e8f21c8ed61c8965.jpg&key=c2c80756ea219803f3f7b149688a55c795d1b46d442caba9383ac2e61baa62e7da24e13511e21ea8c3d0829991f9e279.jpg&key=393f96b26885b11822dae18b98d59dfac4f0c3458488c4a83af732a690d2c0b8c1db2fb29244a65d38ed69571b2ba458.jpg&key=745aade753b4dc417881f14e5ca76d948594f57b8def8450c1c017f8fb7891ca

We're definitely happy to help you guys out with this and try get some performance headers made up. 

Sorry for being lazy and not reading through the thread to get caught up (don't have the time).

If you would like us to develop some headers we would need a bike to develop on ideally and the specs you guys think will produce the best figures. 

My direct email is Louis@cskraceexhausts.co.uk 

On 10/22/2018 at 8:32 PM, Stray said:

Just saw this on eBay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F382587019138

Looks like Lextek are on the game too. I believe they are a Chinese outfit but make decent end cans (almost as good as Akrapovic but not quite, according to online reviews). 

I like the collector but downpipes look a bit square from the mandrel. No idea what size the tubes are but they don’t look thin. 

Stray 

Although it looks nice, gonna remain skeptical on this one till I see borescope pics of the merge. The reason the SBS headers were crap is they had a merge like that, but the tube was cut and fit over a roughly cut hole that was severely undersize vs a quality, fit-for-flow merge. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, FJ12Ryder said:

Man, those do look cool, but I don't think I can budget food and those pipes too. 🙂

A man can last up to 31 days without food.

You might have to strech it to 91 days though.

• Member Contributer
19 minutes ago, VFROZ said:

A man can last up to 31 days without food.

You might have to strech it to 91 days though.

That would help drop weight too. 🙂

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, LouisWhiteCSK said:

We're definitely happy to help you guys out with this and try get some performance headers made up. 

Sorry for being lazy and not reading through the thread to get caught up (don't have the time).

If you would like us to develop some headers we would need a bike to develop on ideally and the specs you guys think will produce the best figures. 

My direct email is Louis@cskraceexhausts.co.uk 

Here it is, folks. Time to put up or shut up about the headers. Get them a donor bike and make it happen!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, thtanner said:

Here it is, folks. Time to put up or shut up about the headers. Get them a donor bike and make it happen!

Well I definitely tried to "put up" once before. I volunteered both my 5 and 6 Gens to the builder who was located in Corona, California, unfortunately that went nowhere. Also unfortunate, CSK is in the UK, too costly to get my bikes there for the cause!

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, Duc2V4 said:

Well I definitely tried to "put up" once before. I volunteered both my 5 and 6 Gens to the builder who was located in Corona, California, unfortunately that went nowhere. Also unfortunate, CSK is in the UK, too costly to get my bikes there for the cause!

Come now, you don't want to spend twice the value of the bike getting it there? 😉 

It is for our UK friends to step up on that one.

Archived