5th & 6th VFR 800 Header build

RVFR

Good god.. I've looked high and low as there was a rumor that KN did have a lager version,  any chance you have a part number,  the one I see here looks like A-8098

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, RVFR said:

Good god.. I've looked high and low as there was a rumor that KN did have a lager version,  any chance you have a part number,  the one I see here looks like A-8098

That's the same part number on this filter. You can see it at the top right of the image. Above the K&N logo and beside the "MADE IN THE USA" writing.

Perfect  the hunt is on.  I just googled it,  nothing comes up,  then on KNs web site it says it doesn't recognize the number. Hmmm?

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, RVFR said:

Perfect  the hunt is on.  I just googled it,  nothing comes up,  then on KNs web site it says it doesn't recognize the number. Hmmm?

There might be an H infront of the A

I'll have to double check next time I take the tank off.

• Member Contributer

I say call K&N as their web site shows the HA-8098 but pictures look like the "original" size version that everyone seems to have. As most sirtes will tell you, pictures may not be of actual shipping product,

https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=HA-8098

19 hours ago, RVFR said:

Well something to note here with Mohawks 5th gen,  info on his avatar looks to be he has a 2000 version, which we know all ready has the smaller primary's, to the 98-99, hence why with adding the 2Bro he did better,  I wonder what would be the results had he had a 98-99 header?  other wise the dyno at this time in his up grades compared to what I have ain't all that bad  Eh.  Just did better with the stock header  SMH go figure,  still what MadSc writes with foam vs pleated filter media,  this may shed some light,  after a look over of the fueling I think I'm running a tad rich. would the KN automatically fix this ?   I'm waiting on a contact at EBR to confirm my suspicion.     

The thing is, his dyno is showing going from a Motad header (similar to the 98/99) to the Two Brothers header. Not that I am a big fan of Motad, but supposedly they are better than the +2000 factory headers. Maybe the Two brothers didn't make anymore power, maybe the Motads are just terrible lol.

ignitech ignijet ( ignijet05 ) got 115 bhp on my old tweaked vfr800 2000 , the guy tuning it, said he'd never played with it, but found it pretty amazing.

got to drive 20km per 1 liter and have 115bhp, the secret ponies seemed to be in the advance.

since u got the right bike , u might think of this controller as an option

i am trying to figure out how to wire that controller up on the VTEC.

1 hour ago, rippie said:

ignitech ignijet ( ignijet05 ) got 115 bhp on my old tweaked vfr800 2000 , the guy tuning it, said he'd never played with it, but found it pretty amazing.

got to drive 20km per 1 liter and have 115bhp, the secret ponies seemed to be in the advance.

since u got the right bike , u might think of this controller as an option

i am trying to figure out how to wire that controller up on the VTEC.

Wow is that a programmable stand alone ECU? Where was this 5 years ago when I really needed it lol?! I was searching desperately for a way to tune the ignition mapping on my 2007 vtec for years before I found Rapid Bike. Now there really isn't much need for it as Rapid Bike Racing can easily tune the fuel and ignition mapping on all 1998 and up VFR800's. I can tell you for a fact that the VTEC models respond even better to ignition advance than the older fi models. The fi models only seem to take up to 3 degrees of additional advance in the lowend, while the vtec models can take about 4-5 degrees through the whole low and midrange. I am wondering if that is why my bike and mohawks bike didnt lose any low and midrange with the Two Brothers header, because the advance brought it right back?

This is the Rapid Bike ignition map. It shows the added advance on top of the factory ignition map. This should add a decent amount of low end, some mid and little bit up top.

3bf13976445cb8620116b9feac3ae702.jpg

I cant figure out why the picture quality is so low on here. It is perfect on my phone.
Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

well that ignijet doesn't fit the VTEC , but i'm pondering on it. I have the wiring thought trough, but will have to create the connectors for conversion.

and then choose the RPM point where to engage the VTEC. I was thinking to set that at lower, maybe 4500/5500 rpm-ish.

you can still download the ignijet05 software to take a look what it can do

so rapid bike racing is also a standalone controller replacement?

17 minutes ago, rippie said:

well that ignijet doesn't fit the VTEC , but i'm pondering on it. I have the wiring thought trough, but will have to create the connectors for conversion.

and then choose the RPM point where to engage the VTEC. I was thinking to set that at lower, maybe 4500/5500 rpm-ish.

you can still download the ignijet05 software to take a look what it can do

so rapid bike racing is also a standalone controller replacement?

No, Rapid Bike is a piggyback controller. They are basically the Italian equivalent of power commander and bazzaz. The Rapid Bike Racing module has some extra features over anything offered by power commander and bazzaz though, because it is able to intercept and adjust the crank position sensor input, you can adjust the ignition mapping, add launch control and traction control etc. It is also self tuning via the factory narrow band o2 sensors or optional wide band o2 sensors. I have had mine for almost three years and its been great.

Here I will try to post up some higher quality photos of the ignition mapping:

6th gen ignition map from 4,200-12,200 Rpms. You can see there is 4 to 5 degrees of advance being added on top of the factory ignition mapping from around 3,000-8000 RPMs, so there is boat loads of extra low and midrange torque to be made on the 6th gens.

Screenshot_20160810-164105_zpsaypzq2em.p

6th gen ignition map from 1,600-10,000 Rpms

Screenshot_20160810-164111_zps8ip9t0tz.p

Screenshot_20160810-164101_zpsrvnbq7tu.p

5th gen Ignition mapping, which is a completely different story. The fifth gens will take 2 to 3 degrees in the partial throttle, low rpm range and when the throttle is open, 1 degree from 8500-redline.

tapatalk_1492774468891_zps0fxxyyp1.png

nice, i see cil 1-4 + 2-3 mapping , so the pairs are individually mapped, or synced?

cuz i remember seeing a honda pdf that shows the different mappings due to the different performing cilinders, maybe i can find that pdf again.

nice, i see cil 1-4 + 2-3 mapping , so the pairs are individually mapped, or synced?
cuz i remember seeing a honda pdf that shows the different mappings due to the different performing cilinders, maybe i can find that pdf again.

That would be cool to see.
I know the throttle bodys are supposed to be synced with a difference, even toughthat has nothing to do with WOT, it points to a difference in cylinder manifold vacuum at least.

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I went to their website and it may be the most confusing I've yet tried to navigate. Do they offer a unit for the 1998 VFR?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

LOL ^  like you,  I find their web site kinda like not all that friendly.  But after a click here and there, looks like they are available for $444.00 if I read it right.   Hmm.  might just jump on one.   I mean why not right ;)

http://www.ignitech.cz/zdroj/en/ceniky/price list units usd.pdf

Depending on the O2 sensors being used, you can have 1, 2 or 4 fuel maps. I am using 4 wide band O2 sensors, so I have an individual fuel map for each cylinder.

Now if you keep the 2 factory narrow bands, you will have two fuel maps. If you install one wide band O2 sensor, you will have one fuel map.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, interceptor69 said:

I went to their website and it may be the most confusing I've yet tried to navigate. Do they offer a unit for the 1998 VFR?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jep, I had one on my 2000 viffer , superduper :)  drove with it for 6 years, but that was waaay long ago

they do not have 1 for the vtec. i'm looking at making a wireharnass conversion for the vtec ... should be doable, hopefully i dont fry the bike haha.

• 4 weeks later...

All right Guys and gals,  yea it's been awhile huh,  sorry about that. Yes I've been sorta distracted,  over the Memorial weekend I went on a ride in S.Ca,   what a hoot that was. It also gave me insight to how the Viffer was running. 

DSC02259_zpsc1wbbrff.jpg

DSC02266_zpsc1vpijqo.jpg

Lets see here if I recall where I left off at. Ah yes,  so after the last dyno pull I find out the Piper cross was a tad better than the KN I had used a year earlier.  it's starting to look like the weather played a bigger part in the first tune. cold and dry air, than I would have thought. IDK the jury is still out.  What I know so far is this,  The 2 bro header is making around 4-5 hp more and a couple more foot lbs. torque,  more on the top,  where the stock header kinda gets choked off, while the 2bros makes it go all the way to 12,5K  it's still not what was recorded last year, but never the less a gain.  Now what's really fun. It's the throttle response and how it puts what gains are to use once out on the road. Oh yes,  it definitely improves acceleration big time, granted the tune in it's self help the throttle response as well,  but now it pulls seamless to redline line in 5th no problem, I mean bingo you're there,  6th, it probably would have if i hadn't run out of road. I Also did a a 6th gear roll on from 6k rpms, yea this Viffer gets up and goes.

Couple more things to throw in here.  I also was able to get my hands on what KN says they don't make, a larger filter, that in it's self is quite the story.

DSC02273_zpsssidb96d.jpg

So as of last week once back from CA,  I swapped out the piper for the new KN. I have a feeling the Viffer is in my mind running even better.  is it all in my head?  maybe, but we won't know until mid July for a another set of dyno pulls with another vfr that was in the same state of tune before the header.   So the question that's starting to show up is, is $1200 to much for this sort of gain?  

4-5 hp of top end on the Two brothers vs 98/99 header and 1 hp on KN vs Pipercross filter sounds about right. Nothing earth shattering, but definitely a noticeable gain. It will be interesting to see if the Big K&N can out the Pipercross. Worth noting, that big K&N looks to have about 24 pleats vs the smaller K&N's 15 folded pleats... More dirt capacity and more flow?

It's looking pretty close to that price when doing the math,  adding the KN air filter it's in the ball park  with freight and all.

The one on the right has the same amount of pleats and looks to be the same size as the k&n I have for my 4th gen. The part number is HA-0003.

On 6/8/2017 at 0:42 PM, RVFR said:

DSC02273_zpsssidb96d.jpg

Archived