5th & 6th VFR 800 Header build

RVFR

I had a few minutes this afternoon,  just had to see how the rear was going to align up.   Cozy, yet looking good, now for the center stand. amazing what a couple 3mm makes.  I wouldn't want my pinky in the way . 

DSC02219_zps4veydasi.jpg

DSC02220_zpszf4x9cic.jpg

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

RVFR - Any chance your builder does ceramic coating?  If he can (or has a preferred local shop to do it before shipment) that would be convenient for me and probably some others on the list.  Can't hurt to ask, I figure.

On 3/25/2017 at 4:56 PM, RDMcD said:

http://www.burnsstainless.com/bendquality.aspx

Found this while searching for exhaust pics. Anybody know who this is?? Interesting design.

Honda V4 SideHonda V4Honda V4 AngleHonda V4

Hey All!

Not sure what I can contribute here on this discussion other than building a full on custom exhaust for a VFR was the things nightmares are made of haha! That is my bike above and I did build the exhaust from scratch. This was my first exhaust build and I learned alot...particularly I learned not the build a V4 exhaust ever again. Mostly joking here, it was a blast to build. If you guys read the article on Burns site you read the issues I had with the first bends i bought...that set back back quite a bit. I did back purge all welds and used ZERO filler...just super tight fit ups and my TIG. I have a buddy of mine who welds stainless tubing for milk processing and they dont use filler either. If you have a good fit with no gaps its actually pretty easy.

I used a racefit can from John..at racefit. Of course I had to chop it down even more. It does exit from the right still My VFR sounds like a caged animal! Its not everyones tastes, especially how loud it is but I love it.

I went into this aiming to NOT loose any HP or Torque. I figured if I could at least get it as good as stock I would be in business. I was delighted to find I gained 10hp and 2.5ft/lbs of Torque!

This bike has been a work in progress over the last 4 years but I think its done now...I think.

Cheers!

IMG_4532.JPG

IMG_2860.JPG

IMG_2869.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg

Nice,  thanks for sharing this.    LOL ain't VFRs fun to work with.  Looks good,  especially the numbers,  you did very good. IMO.  

On 4/11/2017 at 5:19 PM, RVFR said:

Nice,  thanks for sharing this.    LOL ain't VFRs fun to work with.  Looks good,  especially the numbers,  you did very good. IMO.  

Haha...yeah they are a dream:pinocchio: Thank you!

Hey All!

Not sure what I can contribute here on this discussion other than building a full on custom exhaust for a VFR was the things nightmares are made of haha! That is my bike above and I did build the exhaust from scratch. This was my first exhaust build and I learned alot...particularly I learned not the build a V4 exhaust ever again. Mostly joking here, it was a blast to build. If you guys read the article on Burns site you read the issues I had with the first bends i bought...that set back back quite a bit. I did back purge all welds and used ZERO filler...just super tight fit ups and my TIG. I have a buddy of mine who welds stainless tubing for milk processing and they dont use filler either. If you have a good fit with no gaps its actually pretty easy.

I used a racefit can from John..at racefit. Of course I had to chop it down even more. It does exit from the right still My VFR sounds like a caged animal! Its not everyones tastes, especially how loud it is but I love it.

I went into this aiming to NOT loose any HP or Torque. I figured if I could at least get it as good as stock I would be in business. I was delighted to find I gained 10hp and 2.5ft/lbs of Torque!

This bike has been a work in progress over the last 4 years but I think its done now...I think.

Cheers!

IMG_4532.thumb.JPG.3fc4c3669cec99343d918cdfd4e0e213.JPG
IMG_2860.thumb.JPG.d7696504f646c85339776a3c4b14ded0.JPG
IMG_2869.thumb.JPG.d95109ff9f514d6e849a1804766870a8.JPG
FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.be0609ab9019ec9ed0b67c196c1c19e1.jpg

Beautiful work! Do you have a build thread and a better picture of your dyno chart? Thanks

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Grr,  small bump in the road,  After a lot of fiddling it comes to my attention the #2 primary is stonkered, It won't seat. I took the 2bro off and  tired a many different ways,  Nope,  ain't going in,  and there's no way the exhaust studs can handle that much stress.  So it's looking to have to be cut and reattached in that is the trick since Gabe isn't portable,  the Viffer has to go to him.  Luckily the shock showed up last night, at least I can now get it on the ground rolling. Now to get the trailer back in shape. 

DSC02241.JPG

• Member Contributer

Have u changed something since 10 april, pics u posted had them fitting and buttoned up.....

Well mostly buttoned

Could u scribe the end to the angle and cut/grind?

Or is it a case of not enough length and the bend is out

Ah no,  nothing changed.   Yea those photos was a quick pop it in there just to see and share,  all seemed good until the final push for #2 , I went back to make sure it wasn't me going about it the difficult way, re did it all,  made sure all joints where going the way they where suppose too.  Nope.  that #2 primary is twerked some how.  so now it's down to a couple solutions,  cut and re weld are like a couple shops suggested or heat it up an twist it back in place.  Being it's on the VFR kinda going Hmm with the heat it up aprouch but makes sense to a degree as long as I don't cook the oil in the pan while at it nor burn through the header, little steps here,  even Gabe agreed the heat it up is probably  the way to go, cut and weld is second. That being said,  I had it in mind to cut both #2 and #4 making slip joints like the rear two, but can't find anyone with a 11/2"  tubing stretcher. Gabe says he can get one but may take a couple weeks,  I don't have a couple weeks, I have it planned to have this all button down and dyno'd,  know whats going on before the ride to S Ca.at the end of May

Well well that was fun  I see some more things to make better,  like header flanges.  SMH  With a few fine words going to 2Bro for making such a cheap product at a glorious price.    I was able to,  Fingers crossed they set right, get the header buttoned up. But it took some serious heat.     

DSCF0983.JPG

• Member Contributer
Well well that was fun  I see some more things to make better,  like header flanges.  SMH  With a few fine words going to 2Bro for making such a cheap product at a glorious price.    I was able to,  Fingers crossed they set right, get the header buttoned up. But it took some serious heat.     
DSCF0983.thumb.JPG.8b644077c4251fe16d03130d176c80b1.JPG

I've said before, they do it right to draw people in.....then they smash them out to flood the market.
As long as your hearts in these builds, you'll do it right. Don't have a VFR, but I love artists showing up the big boys....

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Well shes up and running. Now waiting on Gabe to figure out the Staintune connection,  in the mean time.    Oh what a sound, pure music. 

DSCF0986.JPG

Sorry the video I have is on my sons phone,  but if you have FB,  you could see it there ;)  talk about Moto gp like exhaust.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/hondavfr800/?multi_permalinks=1479788652095466&notif_t=feedback_reaction_generic&notif_id=1493509429832491

The Viffer is scheduled to be dyno'd next Tuesday the 9th, If you can, send a prayer all goes well and certain expectations are some what met.

• Member Contributer
On Saturday, April 29, 2017 at 10:24 AM, RVFR said:

Well shes up and running. Now waiting on Gabe to figure out the Staintune connection,  in the mean time.    Oh what a sound, pure music. 

DSCF0986.JPG

Have u added a bit at the outlet there?

LOL what? ;)   That's the 2bro mid pipe that slips on to the collector,  kinda cool looking, almost.   it's kinda growing on me the way it is,  SMH,      Actually I will have the Staintune hooked up using part of that mid pipe.   as much as I like the rear wheel being all out there,  it's also missing something IMO 

• Member Contributer

Yeah sorry:wacko:

all the best for dyno time on Tuesday and are you gonna get it on video:491:

• Member Contributer

I'm still interested in the new header but after looking closely while changing my oil last week I'm concerned about getting the old ones removed safely.  That's what 19 years of Tennessee weather will do...

20170430_132450_resized.jpg

20170430_132503_resized.jpg

20170430_132516_resized.jpg

20170430_132524_resized.jpg

Ooo   ;)  spray em down a couple days before with some good ole Aerokroil,  then a little tap tap should, I say should, come off. 

Ok another step closer. I got the Staintune hooked up. ;)  Boy is Gabe good.

DSCF0997_zpsz2y9jzlk.jpg

• Member Contributer

No close up, but looks like a cut and re-weld was necessary.  IIRC, the TBR collector output is positioned slightly different from OEM so simply expanding the midpipe was a no-go.  Job looks clean, you going to polish it back up?

Archived