5th & 6th VFR 800 Header build

RVFR

• Member Contributer

Hi Jay - thanks for kicking the can further down the street than anyone before you.

I am curious how the 2" exit came to be. When this began on vfrw, the specified intent was an outlet compatible with stock position and size, ie it was to be built for your Staintune on your 5 gen, but this statement caused my curiosity:

Quote #1  " as the exit will have a 2' OD and most stock systems only have a 50mm that matches the stock outlet.  So there's that to see if there is enough interests vs. making up an adapter.  I'm running around options in my head as I have a Stainetune that's staying put,  but as it is now, it won't fit."

Question #1 The inference in this quote leads me to ask, "Does the Two Brothers header assembly has a different diameter and/or collector exit tube position than stock headers?"  [If so, please disregard questions #2 and #3]

Question #2 - Why would we want a different outlet diameter than stock? Wouldn't that cause fitment problems between the header assembly and midpipe for everyone, given that aftermarket systems are based on bolting up the stock collector exit pipe?

Quote #2 " I All ready know it [RVFR's Staintune] wouldn't just slip on like it does now,  so that's going to be fixed "

Question #3 Why do we plan on starting with a configuration that will require "to be fixed" instead of just fitting?

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
9 hours ago, MadScientist said:

Yep, that's the gasket in both of the above posts.  My micron low and mig high both attach without the gasket (the inlet to the midpipe is smaller in diameter). 

This will be an issue for systems that use the gasket (stock and aftermarket) if you intend to have a larger diameter outlet from the performance system than the inside diameter of the gasket.  Obviously now the gasket won't fit and the midpipe will need to be modified to fit whatever outlet comes from the performance headers.

This can be avoided if the outlet diameter of the header is the same diameter as the outside of the gasket.  Then you just run those systems gasketless.

When I installed my Staintune system (purchased used) I removed the stock gasket since it wouldn't allow the Staintune pipe to slip over it..  Just slipped the Staintune mid over the Honda outlet and clamped it down.  No issues and no leaks.

• Member Contributer

Three different slip-on pipes here. Two Brothers, Scorpion, and GPR. The latter is a high mount. The Two Brothers is the only one that requires the stock gasket as the mid-pipe clamp area is slightly larger than the others.

Thats what I wanted to hear Nick, thanks

SF.. Sorry to sorta make it confusing with that statement.   I'm in a spot where at the moment I'm kinda leaning one way or another with the 2bro & Staintune fitment. A re look has it there's only 2mm difference,  meaning the Staintune needs to be stretched a bit if that's even possible,  no way I'm I putting the Staintune in a clamp vise and get it all marred up,   or the 2bro needs to shrink ;)   my original thoughts where to run the size of the 2bro all the way out,  seeing I'm leaning on more flow.   LOL I'll be having a conversion with Mr. Valasco on this, but rest assured I'll figure this out for the best of all. 

• Member Contributer

I am against the stock size outlet.  If we want a performance system, diameters will have to increase.  It is easy enough to take your midpipe and have the outlet expanded, or just buy the tool from harbor freight.

We are talking 2ish mm here, which should be doable.

+1 for me as well. Should be performance based and work with majority of slip on options straight away. Though I have a Wolf and have yet to even consider what that will mean yet.

Will go measure today/tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awe.. cool,  just was able to confirm the use of another 5th gen VFR. Sweet,  that speeds things up,  plus this will allow me to do side by side dyno runs with out taking the bike apart again and again,  Shall be interesting what comes out of this.  Yep,  the whole idea behind all this is to get the most output of our VFR for the money. 

Just ignore my post please

Dead link and 2 missing pics. I have not seen this before, but looks good and left exit?

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, RDMcD said:

http://www.burnsstainless.com/bendquality.aspx

Found this while searching for exhaust pics. Anybody know who this is?? Interesting design.

If memory serves me right, we did start discussion with Dan but they went silent after a few emails, then we went with Tyga...

• Member Contributer

Just thinking if someone has been down this road before it might be worth picking their brain and seeing if it was dynode.

After rereading it says the customers name was Dan Yoder .dsc_8402.jpg?itok=o1-V4BDX

• Member Contributer
9 minutes ago, RDMcD said:

Just thinking if someone has been down this road before it might be worth picking their brain and seeing if it was dynode.

After rereading it says the customers name was Dan Yoder .

Oops, it was Rod. His company is Hi/Perform

http://www.hiperform.com/exhaust.htm

• Member Contributer

Cool. Glad to hear that definite objectives are still being developed. Better to be making decisions than not. Getting stuck "ready, aim, aim, aim, aim" would be a drag.

Performance as a priority makes sense. My subjective opinion is that the wide powerband and amazing rideability shoudn't be sacrificed for even 4 or 6hp at redline.

RVFR and Mbrane, thanks for clarifying that we are talking about three distinct designs and exit collector locations / sizes.

RVFR, it sounds like you are considering using one loaner 5 gen to dyno a soecific exhaust configuration, then a 2nd 5 gen to dyno a second exhaust configuration with the goal being to compare the exhausts' performance. This saves the labor and time required to swap exhausts, but introduces many bike-specific variables. Just my $0.02

• Member Contributer

I thought the second bike was for fitment while the first bike was for Dyno runs.

Well you two,  my vfr is getting the 2 bro on it as we speak. I'd like to get a dyno pull comparing what I have all ready    Thing is,  I also have a piper-rcross air filter to add,  so maybe just to know, I may if Mike is nice enough,  to do a a air filter comparo while at it.  But the goal here is to see how this 2bro does. Then from that start heading a certain direct with the header build. Yes the other VFR is for fitment. but if all goes as planned, Ha-ha when does that ever happen.  Since it will be all mounted up, might as well throw it up on the dyno as well. it's a good running stock 99 model,  so should be close to how mine is, less the PC tune I have all ready, would make for a good base line to go by,  I'll have to check it's air filter,  I want to make it as close to apples and apples as I can,  this saves me taking that header off and reinstalling on mi vfr,  which could happen if there's a big difference in the numbers. ;) it's all about the numbers,   Right?  On ward ho as they say. 

just a minor up date here. Gabe got call on a good offer to build a inter cooler for a GTR35 for a sshow on the 22nd a nissan feast of sorts so this week and next has been tight for him to do much. He has some of the bends now waiting on some free time. As mentioned,  I lined up a loner vfr a 99,  woot woot. but actually won't haven't in place till the 4-8 ,  so that will speed things up a bit. Things are still in the pipe moving forward,  just not much in the way of new news,  that and I decided to ride the viffer one more time before the tear down, that and played with what's needed for the de-link, But all is good.  stay tune,  it's a happening.

just requoting specs from rush from the initial thread (I haven't seen people pick it up) , in my eyes this was key for best performance:

"
Using 304 stainless steel the easiest and least expensive materials on my side of the pond is 18 gauge 1.5 (1 1/2) inch primary tubing leading into 18 gauge 1.63 (1 5/8) inch secondary that flows into 18 gauge 2.0 inch final collector. This gives a close ID (Inner Diameter) to the stock RC45 exhaust headers.

Primaries (ID) = 35 mm
Secondaries (ID) = 39 mm
Final Collector (ID) = 49 mm
 small convergent angle collectors (<15 degrees if possible) will provide the best flow and performance and would be desired if possible.
"
I am not sure if these specs are 100% 2bro or perhaps even a better insight of rush ...

hope this helps the discussion, cuz i'm still not sure to join in, though i know there are lost ponies in my 2006.
(even the  98 had ~10 ponies extra with proper exhaust and tuning)

Good to know I'm on the right path Rippie thanks    Things are moving along in the right direction,  slow , but moving forward. I got the Viffer torn down where the the stock exhaust is off,  now ready for the 2 Bro.  Only thing *&^@!   while in the process for the exchange,  I find the Penske shock I got last year is leaking in the adjustment area, :(  So while I have it all apart,  figure this is as good as it can get time to get that taken care of as well.  So while that's off being taken care of,  might as well start on the De link  ;)  Rest assured once its all back together,  we're heading to the dyno to find out just how well this 2Bro makes things run.   from that I'll know how to proceed with the Gabe header.

DSC02203_zpsqxktwnay.jpg

Finally had a moment  to check the 2Bro fitment. First the center stand looks doable,  but I tell ya, it took a bit of &^%! and stretch and push-pull to get into place.  This could be one item to address,  first off thoughts have it where the front primary's are like the rear,  separate.  Other wise,  it's still looking to be a close fit for the center stand.  The rest is looking ok.  More later.  I wore out a Dremel brush,  now need a new one to clean the rear exhaust ports before I attack the rears

DSC02213_zpsa29iqw1i.jpg

DSC02212_zpsbjj4vlqo.jpg

• Member Contributer

Updated list

X - Still interested

N/A - 8G Not Applicable

* - Price dependent 

Rush2112 -             ?

RVFR                       X

JDMBird -               X*

CornerCarver -

CornerCarver -