5th & 6th VFR 800 Header build

RVFR

Ok,  time to start a new thread concerning the VFR 800 5th gen header build.

For starters,  the who.  Gabe is a high end fabricator, that owns and operates Rampage Fabrication in Olympia & Tacoma Wa. His back ground is in high end turbo manifolds and inter cooler plumping, so tubes are his thing. He is the one actually doing the hands on creation. I'm just orchestrating the process  and handling the R&D and working the funds do to just that,  along with taking the funds for orders and answering questions as they come about. 

As it stands now,  this first round is to find out just what will work in creation and fitment wise, to make more HP. This is not a knock off replacement header,  but a true hand made performance header similar to what  Erion Racing and 2 Bros. have had available in the past.     Then once all that R&D  is done,  a final price can be made,   The target goal is $800.00,  but depending on how it goes will say for sure.  Then there's shipping to where ever.

The headers will at first have no 02 bungs,  but there will be an option for that for the 6th gens, or,  if so desired.    A side note; This will be center stand user friendly.

Full exhaust could be an option. It's Only $$$   Gabe and I have talked about this,  as the exit will have a 2' OD and most stock systems only have a 50mm that matches the stock outlet.  So there's that to see if there is enough interests vs. making up an adapter.  I'm running around options in my head as I have a Stainetune that's staying put,  but as it is now, it won't fit.   

Anything you need to do on your end?  Nope  ;)  Just keep an eye out on how it goes here,  and be ready to pull the trigger when they're available,  first come, first serve bases

The Go fund me is up and usable,  but just recently I'm leaning on having available a direct way of taking contributions via a web site.  Hopefully sooner than later, I'm looking at what options there are in that. Till then,  drop me a PM and will work it out.

What is it we are trying to accomplish?   Basically making replication from the 2Bro header that's a proven design.    I'm a bit more motivated now as I just landed the unattainable, taking the guess work out of what there truly is,  just not hearsay.

They will be made here in Olympia Wa. US of A

Went up today to see Gabe and worked out some details.  He ordered up some tubes  and got the low down on the 2Bro I was able to get my hands on. So full steam ahead. He saw some parts that he could be improved upon,  thinking I'd see better numbers,  IDK,  until I do a Dyno run,  we won't know for sure,  but we're off and running.  Hopefully in a couple weeks we will have it where things can start being put together. That said  I'm Now on the hunt for a donor VFR to work from.  As I'll be installing the 2 bro on my vfr and doing a dyno run to see how it all compares shortly  But while my VFR is in that state, it would be way easier and faster if I had another VFR to work with for fitment reasoning's.   I also find the the center stand works,  so now we know that's not an issues to have in place.    In addition I find the 2bro weighs in at a hefty 7.1 lbs  vs. 9.8lbs  for the 98-99,  A bit of savings for sure.

DSC02184_zpswa8fmwuq.jpg

Getting it figured out.

DSC02183_zpsjvj8fqca.jpg

Just a wee bit of difference huh. That's a 98-99 header on the bottom of the photo .

DSC02181_zpsm8gr7w1m.jpg

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure is.     The infamous 2 Bro back from the media blasting guy,  My My,  looking good too.

DSC02186_zpsewidogvc.jpg

Holy shit this is actually happening. I'm a bit worried when it comes to cost for me though, I imagine $800 USD plus shipping is gonna put it out of reach for me for now.

Continuing on from your last thread, thanks for the info! Maybe editing your first post on here with that information would help out others who are wondering the same.

It looks like you're just now able to start this up after years of waiting. Because of that, I'll kindly wait for the logistics of this great project to be sorted out before I  move forward with this, but I am interested in a full system. At least mid-pipe fitment can be guaranteed and won't leak, since I'm sure mid-pipes from company to company are slightly different. Or, you could just make a shorty like RLS does with their exhausts for various bikes to simplify things. Just a thought.

I'm just thinking aloud, but I wonder if adding H-pipes on the primaries would help improve or balance the flow? Just something I thought of when looking at some FZ-09 headers. The Smaltmoto RSV4 headers use an H-Pipe as well, but on the secondaries.

But anyway, congrats on the startup! I'm sure a lot of folks on here will be happy to see some development on VFR800 headers.

Airisom thanks,  I'll do just that,  but know some of this will change a bit as it moves along.  

• Member Contributer

I have a donor bike if you need it but getting it to you might be a task. It doesn't run at the moment, there's a leak in the one of the heads (perhaps all 4) but it is a complete bike that can be rolled around and has all the body work and even a center stand!

• Member Contributer
27 minutes ago, RVFR said:

SMH ;) if only you where closer,  as you did come to mind.  Thanks. 

If it really becomes a must have, let me know and maybe we can find a volunteer who would be willing to transport it up to you.

Nice.  I have $ in on the 'go fund me' site, can they be applied towards possible purchase?  The other thread is so long I can't remember if you've answered this question already, if so, sorry.

ACE

• Member Contributer

Def. interested but would need to have final info on the 02 bungs and outlet pipe dia for a workaround for the 6th gen.  I too have Staintunes and I'm not getting rid of them on my 07 RWB.

• Member Contributer

Check and make sure the exhaust studs are the same distance apart on 5th and 6th Gens. I was messing with a 5th Gen 2Bros on a 6th and the flange wouldn't fit over the studs. A slotted flange would solve that, as opposed to just round holes. 

On the other hand, these headers are so long out of production, and passed through multiple hands, so it's tough to say exactly what model they were originally intended for. 

Yea Kev,  interesting and good you brought that up on the 2bro i just got for the template, Gabe saw that the flange was bent like it was over tighten,  so he had it to make that part so that would happen. With that,  I'll make sure your concern is addressed  thanks ;)

51Nick,  do you have a photo of the Staintune there fitting up to what I believe would be the stock 6th gen mid pipe?  Like you. My Staintune is staying put. I All ready know it wouldn't just slip on like it does now,  so that's going to be fixed.   Thing is, here with the 6th gen is where to make that part work so it fits correctly.  Yes o2 bungs will be added on a as needed bases. as far as where,  pretty much going by where they need to be with the stock location. 

• Member Contributer

I hope you're not copying the TBR on the assumption that they had developed their system on a dyno... They weren't selling these headers to racers, so I'm sure TBR's product developers were mainly concerned with ease of installation, appearance and cost.  How much time do you want to spend optimising the design?  None of us are racers, either!

Ciao,

JZH.. well sorta,  they had something up their sleeve in the design to make more HPs.  or at the least have the engine run more efficient,  now had they done a dyno test?  After talking to them more than once, to different folks where I was trying to get them to make one of their designed headers,  OML,  they claimed they never made a full system.    SMH WHAT!  hells bells. there's even an add on the internet showing they did.  Just goes to show how unimportant the VFR is.  But afters seeing 3 other dyno pulls on other 5th gens. Mohawk for one,  shows a 8-10 hp increase.  just saying.    I'm planning on doing a dyno pull here on the header that gets built.  Speaking of that , I just landed a 99 VFR for the test mule  :)

MadS,    What gasket?  My Staintune slips on the stock outlet like the stock muffler does,  though they say use some high temp silicon in the install,  I just use WD40,  there's  no gasket required.  6th gens?  

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, RVFR said:

51Nick,  do you have a photo of the Staintune there fitting up to what I believe would be the stock 6th gen mid pipe?  Like you. My Staintune is staying put. I All ready know it wouldn't just slip on like it does now,  so that's going to be fixed.   Thing is, here with the 6th gen is where to make that part work so it fits correctly.  Yes o2 bungs will be added on a as needed bases. as far as where,  pretty much going by where they need to be with the stock location. 

RVFR - I'll try to get you a shot in the next day or so.  My exhaust collector that the pipe connects to is under the bike so I'm not sure what mid pipe you're talking about.  The Staintune has a mid pipe that goes up to the underseat mufflers.  I'll get you shot of the connection of that pipe to the factory exhaust.

• Member Contributer

The gasket I believe that RS51Kick is referring to, would be on the exit pipe. You can just make it out on the 98-99 header on the bottom.

IMG_3253_zpscf1hqn1k.jpg

• Member Contributer

Yep, that's the gasket in both of the above posts.  My micron low and mig high both attach without the gasket (the inlet to the midpipe is smaller in diameter). 

This will be an issue for systems that use the gasket (stock and aftermarket) if you intend to have a larger diameter outlet from the performance system than the inside diameter of the gasket.  Obviously now the gasket won't fit and the midpipe will need to be modified to fit whatever outlet comes from the performance headers.

This can be avoided if the outlet diameter of the header is the same diameter as the outside of the gasket.  Then you just run those systems gasketless.

Archived