Ducati supersport

chinook

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Rambler358 said:

There's many videos of the SS on YouTube, which one are you referring to?

It's the one that was on my TV.....

Look around like I did and you'll learn even more.  I honestly didn't take down the URL from a TV.  

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
On 3/11/2017 at 4:41 PM, Rambler358 said:

There's many videos of the SS on YouTube, which one are you referring to?

He was probably referring to any of the videos with audio - because the Ducati twin sounds like a tractor compared to the VFR - LOL

• Member Contributer

Yes, but a finely tuned one. :)

And it is beautiful. But I'd miss the revving big time. Not for me. I am biased.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, GatorGreg said:

He was probably referring to any of the videos with audio - because the Ducati twin sounds like a tractor compared to the VFR - LOL

A matter of opinion.  I loved the way my air cooled S2R1000 sounded at full tilt.  Now BMW parallel twins, that sounds like a tractor.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, MaxSwell said:

Yes, but a finely tuned one. :)

And it is beautiful. But I'd miss the revving big time. Not for me. I am biased.

Alright, to be fair and balanced I'll grant you that Ducati makes the best sounding twins - but that's like being a gold medalist at the Special Olympics or the NIT champion - LOL.  I agree with you on the revving - since it redlines at under 10,000 rpm you won't get the fun of watching the tach needle sweep past 10,000.  Oh wait, this thing doesn't even have a tach needle - it just has an LCD screen and not even a color TFT one at that - no thanks!

• Member Contributer

It never ceases to amaze me how much value people put on sound alone.  The best sound, to me, is no sound.  

• Member Contributer
On 3/17/2017 at 8:12 AM, Bent said:

It never ceases to amaze me how much value people put on sound alone.  The best sound, to me, is no sound.  

Sounds like a wise take, from one who is old enough to know better.

In spite of wearing great ear plugs, my hearing continues to degenerate. The GDCs can't help. But I can't help my self there.

But now I do appreciate what being able to hear adds to life and having little hearing left suks. 

Y'all have been warned.

• Member Contributer

Not to drift completely off-topic but the truth is, even with a full-face lid, wind noise probably does more damage to motorcycle riders than engine and/or exhaust noise.  Although riding behind guys who think they're too "cool" for mufflers certainly doesn't help.

PS, and now a word from the I Never Would Have Imagined The Day Department:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2017/03/06/nascar-may-make-cars-quieter/98812206/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 3/19/2017 at 0:09 PM, MaxSwell said:

Sounds like a wise take, from one who is old enough to know better.

In spite of wearing great ear plugs, my hearing continues to degenerate. The GDCs can't help. But I can't help my self there.

But now I do appreciate what being able to hear adds to life and having little hearing left suks. 

Y'all have been warned.

And that's why I NEVER have ridden without ear plugs.  I am old enough to know better....; )   I hear ya MaxSwell.

• Member Contributer

For anyone interested, there's a pamphlet in the downloads section on NIHL (Noise Induced Hearing Loss). Pretty good info on the subject.

To put the subject back on topic, I'm waiting to hear from the Ducati dealer once they get their SS allotment in. I really want to test ride one, like to see what a 22 year span (My 1995 900SS vs. 2017) feels like. Probably won't buy one but always good to ride different bikes from time to time.

Link to download:

On 2/19/2017 at 11:05 AM, Alaskan said:

To my eyes it looks virtually indistinguishable from the 8th Gen VFR.

I'm with Alaskan on this one - The Ducati styling looks like they used the 8th gen VFR as a template. Both very good looking bikes. The silhouette, integrated mirrors and turn signals, tank shape, windscreen, x shaped headlight styling. Very close visually from the pictures/video I've seen of the Ducati.

I took one out today. I was with a mate who took a Multistrada as well

I'll copy my thoughts from another site 

It was fab HOWEVER the V-twin thing I don't get, lumpy as feck low down just like the V-strom. Sounds good, lots of popping on the overrun though not as deep and throaty as the VFR with the Remus. Not much in it power wise (113bhp for the Duc vs 104) but that power on the Duc is there from the off wheras the VFR is sedateish until you hit that VTEC. I thought I got the VTEC to kick in on the Duc but it was actually cutting out at the redline (NEVER BUY AN EX_DEMO BIKE) The more I rode it the more fun it was though Stuart(bless him) kept wandering off and getting lost so I had a great time trying to find him. Eventually I tracked him down at a charity shop in Waddington where we had a brew and swapped bikes. Unfortunately the Multi demo was gubbed, GOK what was wrong but no throttle response and wouldn't rev over 6k. Absolutely knacked but the handling was very good when it was moving so I see why John C Brown is so bloody hard to catch . I'd also say the Supersports handling was superb, on rails etc but then I wonder if some new tyres on the VFR might help even things up a tad

Scores on the doors
Sexiness Duc 10 VFR 8
Speediness Duc 10 VFR 8
Soundtrack Duc 8 VFR 10
Tank range (Yawn) Duc 150 VFR 200
Comfort (wrists/bum/legroom) Duc 9 VFR 7 
Handling Duc 10 VFR 7
Price Duc howfeckingmuch?? VFR I suppose I'm paying for Honda quality

Stuart dropped me at lunchtime as he had to go and pick his dentures up so I had a run with his mate Dave through Bowland (chasing him on his Monster 1200R) which made me think again that the VFR is a fine bike

3 modes on a 115bhp - why bother? I wacked it in sport and left it at that

Quickshifter /downshifter autoblipper? Not on the roads, pointless. \\\\\\\\\might be OK on a track but I found it awkward and jerky and defaulted to using the clutch.  wish they'd left off the Quickshiter gubbins and put the Ohlins on the standard bike

Oh, and te display is dull dull dull

Would I buy one? In a heartbeat but it is not that much a better bike over the VFR. You only live once though. Better start the plan of nagging. I've got her captive on a plane for 8hrs next week.....

17800208_10155421820078974_1558869029525723024_n.jpg

17522935_10155421820238974_6325876485243028891_n.jpg

17800030_10155421820468974_3100096064037406493_n (1).jpg

17796443_10155421820643974_6169760460740722752_n.jpg

17760126_10155421821348974_7178633425178459654_n.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the ride report. 

It's definitely a looker IMO and I love the V2 soundtrack. Also not nearly as much of a torture rack as a Pani, I suppose. 

Range and luggage not really worthy of a sports tourer it seems. 

Oh well, can't afford it anyway. :unsure:

On 2/19/2017 at 4:49 AM, Carlosfandango said:

the answer will be in the riding, having had Ducati's before; make sure you do ride before buying, they can be 'lumpy' at lower revs.

That's one of the things I like about my 1st gen Tuono. The power delivery is definitely lumpy at lower RPMs.

Nice tasty lumps of torque with a thunderous aural finish. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Well I got a call from the Ducati dealer (Newport Ducati) and I have a test ride scheduled for Saturday April 15!

Well I got a call from the Ducati dealer (Newport Ducati) and I have a test ride scheduled for Saturday April 15!

That's a great dealership. I test rode a '17 Multistrada 1200S there a couple weeks ago - a nice bike, but not for me.

On 07/04/2017 at 4:00 AM, Duc2V4 said:

V2s lumpy low down? They all do that Sir

Well I almost pulled the trigger. Negotiated an acceptable part-ex with the dealer, got a humph of approval from my wife, rang the insurance........

Nope not on our database yet

tried some comparison sites, not on there either

tried Ducati insurance .... not on their database!

rang the dealer, they have their own insurers and finally got a price

wait for it...... (47yrs old , 10yrs + NCB, crrent price for the VFR is £250 with business use as well)

....... £1031 without business which means I can't ride it to work on sunny days

for now my Ducati dreams are on hold

(I can get a Multistrada 1200 insured for 300!)

• Member Contributer

Nice pics and review vtwindr.  Sucks about the insurance - although I can't say I blame the insurance companies for wanting to charge a crap load of money to insure a bike named "Supersport" LOL

Duc2vr, looking forward to seeing your review as well.

• Member Contributer
26 minutes ago, GatorGreg said:

Nice pics and review vtwindr.  Sucks about the insurance - although I can't say I blame the insurance companies for wanting to charge a crap load of money to insure a bike named "Supersport" LOL

Back in '84 when the Yamaha RZ-350s hit the streets in the 'States, my insurance company didn't know what it was.

20s, unmarried, and I think I was paying $180/year for comprehensive.

'Cause it was under 350cc.  LOL

1 hour ago, GatorGreg said:

Duc2vr, looking forward to seeing your review as well.

well I'm having back surgery end of April so will be off the bike for a while. Hopefully when it's been out for a couple of months and people with less sense and more money have taken the insurance hit and hopefully not binned them then the insurance companies will get a grip and make a more realistic quote. Honestly there's very little in it between the SS and the VFR other than the SS takes off a bit earlier

Archived