Ducati supersport

chinook

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, vtwindr said:

wait for it...... (47yrs old , 10yrs + NCB, crrent price for the VFR is £250 with business use as well)

....... £1031 without business which means I can't ride it to work on sunny days

So waitaminnit... is that £250 mean business and pleasure?

But £1031 for pleasure only?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

So waitaminnit... is that £250 mean business and pleasure?

But £1031 for pleasure only?

I wish
nah the VFR is 250

The Supersport is 1031
I use the bike for work sometimes and visit patients houses on it which means I need extra insurance in case I have an accident whilst on work related  trips. Another way for insurers to screw us over

3 minutes ago, Rectaltronics said:

Oh OK.

We here tend to get higher rates if we say we're using the bike to commute, but that's mostly due to the legitimate extra likelihood of traffic incidents.

yep, we get that as well
it goes 

Pleasure
Commute
Business
but even though my business use is essentially commuting within the workday that doesn't count. It's not like I'm delivering pizza on it

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, vtwindr said:

....... £1031 without business which means I can't ride it to work on sunny days

OMFG ! Surely they have the SS confused with a Pani. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

So I was able to take a ride on the new SS yesterday. Although it wasn't a long or twisty ride, it was enough for me to get a decent feel for the bike. I'm not really going to compare it to the VFR other than it did feel like a bike one could ride all day without feeling tortured and it did feel rather lite and nimble. I really wish I could have taken it on a more appropriate test ride, i.e. Twisty roads and some length but alas not the case.

One thing I will say, at low RPMs it did seem to make the bike feel like it was about to stall. However, once the RPMs hit 3.5-4k, the motor really kicked in and it felt more worthy. To add though, the electronics were set to "sport mode" so not sure if that was a big contributor or not but the salesman I spoke with was an older model SS owner like myself and admitted that the low end of this bike was lacking in comparison, so I'm thinking it's more the motor than the electronics setting. Probably should have played around with the settings. That being said, it will rev past 9k RPM, versus my era SS.

There were a couple of things I like about the bike, one the lite feel and ease of taking a turn, particularly at slower speeds. Something I have a hard time with on my 95 SS. There's the saying. ?What a difference a year makes"...well this would be 22 years if compared to mine but ultimately that's where I'm coming from. When on the gas it did feel like a really strong motor with a decent amount of torque but with the stock exhaust, it really didn't quite have the "feeling" of being so. Maybe I'm spoiled with my Duc and VFRs having a bit more "growl" but ultimately I wasn't sold on the bike. Maybe it's sentimental but I honestly prefer my old SS over the new one. Although it's ultimately more refined and has a lot more advancements over my 95, there was just something missing for me. The dash, even though it has more to it, I kind like the old school dual dial tachometer & speedometer of ole versus the all in one LCD dash panel. I had no issues reading it in bright daylight BTW.

Would I get one? Maybe, if I didn't have already have mine and was looking for an alternative to an inline 4 and/or wanted something a little different than a repli-racer or if I just wanted to dip my toe into the Ducati pool, this might be a good entry level Ducati sport bike. Ultimately, I won't be trading in my current SS for one nor give up either of my VFRs for one but I'm glad I rode it so now I wouldn't question it years down the road..."Why didn't I just test ride one?"

Glad you scratched that itch. Wondering the 2 other duc's I've tested also were hesitant at low rpm if a proper flash or PCV might be a nessisary add on for current ducs. Can't see myself on one anytime soon got to give it a test as she is a great looking bike, 

On 2/18/2017 at 7:04 AM, Bent said:

I've had MBS and got over it.    

OK, so how does that work?  :unsure:

I will admit to feeling a disturbance in the force. Three bikes and 2 cars here, and they ALL need something.

Maybe this is how it starts. The things you own end up owning you.

Did you feel an urge to sell all that you had and give it to the poor?

Wait, that's not right. :goofy:

Sell 3 bikes and get 1 new one? :beer:

• Member Contributer
On 4/18/2017 at 8:16 PM, VFR4Lee said:

OK, so how does that work?  :unsure:

I will admit to feeling a disturbance in the force. Three bikes and 2 cars here, and they ALL need something.

Maybe this is how it starts. The things you own end up owning you.

Did you feel an urge to sell all that you had and give it to the poor?

Wait, that's not right. :goofy:

Sell 3 bikes and get 1 new one? :beer:

After having Multiple Bike Syndrome, I did that once and had to have another bike.  So, that didn't work.  Got an 8th gen. which was a good decision.  Multiple cars is different than multiple bikes.   

Multiple cars is different than multiple bikes.   

Wife must have her car, that's for sure. But, guess who gets to take care of it beyond washing? :wink:

• 7 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I am one of those who likes it - enough that I bought one?.Bought a Supersport S in white and putting the akro system on it. I will be running it in at the Spring Ride aka TMAC in May. Bought it as a more comfortable sports bike than the Aprilia.

If you want brutal power get a litre cheater but they get a little hard on ya. We shall see but I liked my test ride enough to buy one.

• Member Contributer

To each their own. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I remember when I got my 6th gen to replace a 3rd gen and people said it looked like an alien or buggy. Still didnt stop people from buying it. Live and let live

Here is an interesting way to compare the VFR to Supersport. Spend the same bucks on each.

Price's would vary country to country, but here in Australia, for the price they want for the basic Super Sport, I can buy a VFR and;

- Akrapovic slip on.

- Quick shifter.

- Lithium ion battery.

- OEM panniers, bags, locks etc.

- OEM 45 litre top box, carrier, plate, lock etc.

- Hugger, radiator guard, tank pad, levers, bar ends & handle bar spacers.

I could then take off the centre stand and the first time I pull into the petrol station when the fuel light comes on, only put 12.5l instead of 18l of fuel.

That would give the VFR an extra 3kw, no weight gain, over 100 litres hard lockable luggage, a comfier riding position and some bling/protection all for the price of the SS ready to ride out the dealer yard stock as a rock.

Track fun? Well the VFR still won't equal the SS on paper, but without the luggage the extra 3kw and -12kg approx will help narrow the gap.

And if you compare the VFR DLX to the SS erm, S, then you'd have to get into some gold plating or something to get the VFR up to that price, or pay the insurance for the next 5 years.

Or maybe buy the VFR stock and with the change, buy a second hand fireblade thou for the track. Again, prices will vary between countries, but here in Aus, I can buy a 2008-2011 CBR1000RR for the price difference between the VFR (only DLX here) and the Super Sport S ride away.

Edit.

Actually, for the price of the Super sport, I can buy the Kawasaki ZX-14. Yeah, it's heavier than the VFR or SS. But put helibars/luggage on them and they make a decent sports tourer and good luck trying to keep up with one on the road or track.

• Member Contributer

Nothing I can say except i want it therefore I got it. 

But for the sake of saying I could just say keep my current VFR which has all you describe and more , race my HRC built track bike and tear ass in the mountains on the Aprilia RSV4. 

Just cause it doesn't make $ sense doesn't mean we don'

• Member Contributer
2 minutes ago, grond1234 said:

Nothing I can say except i want it therefore I got it. 

But for the sake of saying I could just say keep my current VFR which has all you describe and more , race my HRC built track bike and tear ass in the mountains on the Aprilia RSV4. 

Just cause it doesn't make $ sense doesn't mean we don'

Finally, someone that is a man of action.  Wanting one and getting one is a good enough reason.  We don't have to "justify" anything.  

Correct, VFR4Lee.  Women just have power.  No getting around that.  :wink:

So which is the better bike? Honda VFR or Ducati Super sport?

The Honda is cheaper, reliable, better pillion seat, dash, less vibration, includes a centre stand, bigger fuel tank, bigger panniers, two top box options and has adjustable riders seat height & handle bars.

The Ducati has more power.

..and the winner is, The Ducati! Yay!!!! Whoohoo! :cheerleader:

Who care's if it will shake your teeth out, break down, can't carry anything larger than a tooth brush, has a 200km range and has a dash you can't read or make heads or tails off.

...It has more powa! Power always wins!

Silly people who thought the VFR had a hope in hell against the Ducati Super sports!

Ok, got that off my chest.

I have a Corolla?

Oh wait, what's that out the back patio under a tarpaulin...It's a 2010 Corolla. Gee, forgot that was there! :pinocchio:

VFR Panniers & top box is for carrying clothing, helmets, camping gear, books, lap top and other assorted personal effects.

Ducati luggage is for carrying tools, diagnostic equipment, spare parts, extra coolant, oil, breakdown membership card and satellite telephone in case you get 100km's before your first break down. :tongue:

20171204_075039.jpg

Archived