RC45 replica project

monstar

Just bought a 95 750. Has Gixxer frontend conversion, two brothers full exhaust (right exit), and 8 spoke rear wheel. My intention is to make it a RC45 race replica... more specifically the lucky strike endurance bike. I've picked up a cbr900rr subframe and a vfr400 tank cover. I'll be modding the subframe to fit the tank cover and a rvf400 tail. Also need to source a fabricator for a custom 2.5-3 gallon aluminum tank. With that will be shortening the wiring harness, single projector headlight and making various mounting brackets for everything. Eventually would like to make a dual side high mount exhaust and double sided swingarm. I'll post pics when I get some progress. I also need to sell ALL the stock plastics, so let me know what you need.

My first question is, has anyone used a rc51 swingarm on the rc36? I looked hear on the forum but only saw this done on an rc46 (800). Basically I want a double sided swingarm with that recessed area on the right for the exhaust.

Just a shot in the dark, any advice or measurements would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Welcome to VFRD from across the pond!

But w/o a picture, you do not exist..... :tongue:

Thanks for the welcome. I actually signed up back in 2008 when I still owned bikes. After selling them and getting married I finally found a deal on a V4. So I'm back!

I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Nothing special, only had the bike about a month. Rode it a few times now it's kinda stripped down. Been cold and rainy here in CA for a change, so it's a good time.

I usually skim through the posts to find pictures as well.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, monstar said:

My intention is to make it a RC45 race replica... more specifically the lucky strike endurance bike.

All Reeeeeeeeeeeeeet... Endurance Race RC45s are my favorite...  I'll ante my Lucky Strike pics... I actually have one of these HRC double sided exhaust systems hanging in the shop...

RVFWorksRacers05.jpg

RVFWorksRacers06.jpg

RVFWorksRacers09.jpg

RVFWorksRacers10.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for those pics. That's what I'm going for or at least mimic.

I've seen the rvf project youtube videos but that website is down. Really sucks, I wanted to see the progress. I don't think I would be capable or want to mod the frame like he did... there's gotta be a dual sided swingarm that would work without changing the rear pipes and just shimming the frame.

Anyway, here's a pic a the bike with the tank cover sitting on top. I still need the tail to get the tank/tail/subframe relationship worked out.

Anyone know what's up with tyga-performance.com? I ordered from them a long time ago, wanted to place another order but forgot my password. The site says they sent an email to recover my password but I haven't got it. Plus, there's no contact info... seems sketchy now. Anyway I need some TYGA parts! Anyone?

IMG_2998.jpg

18 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

All Reeeeeeeeeeeeeet... Endurance Race RC45s are my favorite...  I'll ante my Lucky Strike pics... I actually have one of these HRC double sided exhaust systems hanging in the shop...

I picked up the bike in sacramento. I should have stopped by your shop. Could've sworn seeing your posts on speedzilla or something back in the day? rc51 or crf450 supermoto stuff? It's been so long... maybe 8 years so I'm old and forgetful.

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, monstar said:

I've seen the rvf project youtube videos but that website is down.

He's on Facebook now. 

Progress has been halted for a long time due to some 2 stroke salvage operation but he's back at it.

55 minutes ago, RC36Rider said:

He's on Facebook now. 

Progress has been halted for a long time due to some 2 stroke salvage operation but he's back at it.

AHHH! Told myself I would never be on facebook but I had to create an account just for this build. Christ, this guy is super meticulous almost to a fault. Don't get me wrong he does awesome work but it's never gonna be a rc45. He must have hundreds if not a thousand hours into this plus parts. I'm all about minimal time and money for a lighter weight, better performing, cooler looking vfr750. At the end of the day, if this guy crashed this masterpiece replica he's screwed.

• Member Contributer
21 hours ago, sfdownhill said:

Now that is pure endurance sex. How does someone come to have two Lucky Strike endurance RC45s?

Honda collection Hall Motegi Japan...

http://apps.mobilityland.co.jp/hch/search/english/

I've only found cbr900rr swingarm conversions talkabout here. Nobody has got anything else to work? Heard about 600rr but the linkage didn't work or was too difficult.

Just found this swingarm that looks awesome from a cbr650f. Never knew they even existed. Has a little room on the right side and shock mount is different. That could be a good thing, no linkage. Thoughts? I have no idea of dimensions.

Honda-CBR650F-Swingarm-3.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 2/6/2017 at 10:32 PM, monstar said:

Anyway, here's a pic a the bike with the tank cover sitting on top. I still need the tail to get the tank/tail/subframe relationship worked out.

Resurrecting this as I'm starting a similar project, but based on a VFR800. I'd be interested to know where the tank cover came from and also the rest of the bodywork. I rather hoped RC45 replica plastics could be sourced from China but I've not found anyone offering these (due to the low numbers of RC45s produced I guess).

Any suggestions about finding suitable plastics would be gratefully received.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:46 AM, monstar said:

I've only found cbr900rr swingarm conversions talkabout here. Nobody has got anything else to work? Heard about 600rr but the linkage didn't work or was too difficult.

Just found this swingarm that looks awesome from a cbr650f. Never knew they even existed. Has a little room on the right side and shock mount is different. That could be a good thing, no linkage. Thoughts? I have no idea of dimensions.

No doubt this has since been sorted, but any S/A without linkage is likely to be problematic trying to fit it into the RC36 chassis. One thing about those, the RC36.1 (3rd Gen) has a 243mm width (at the front) S/A, whereas the RC36.2 (4th Gen) is only 235mm. Both those are quite narrow so finding anything suitable to fit without any machining will be tricky. The BlackBird has a nice simple twin spar S/A, but it's 248mm. The CBR900RRW/X is 243 at the front, but although correct for the RC36.1, still a little too wide for the RC36.2 (and anyway has additional bracing which is not like the RC45 twin spar S/As. It may well be that some machining is the only option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
On 2/6/2017 at 2:41 PM, monstar said:

I picked up the bike in sacramento. I should have stopped by your shop. Could've sworn seeing your posts on speedzilla or something back in the day? rc51 or crf450 supermoto stuff? It's been so long... maybe 8 years so I'm old and forgetful.

You're right... I joined Speedzilla because it was very lively... however my love for V4s clashed with the V2 crowd... do you remember their Larry poll???

How tired are you of listening to Larry's V4 rants?

View Poll Results:
1)They dont bother me, I like V4s and think RC45s are
super-duper

16 15.38%

2)Its getting a little old, but I still like V4 engines

34 32.69%

3) Im sick of it, and swear to only buy inline 4 powered bikes from
now on

0.0%

4) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LARRY SHUT THE **** UP

54 51.92%

Dezmo
Excercise your right to vote.

1996900sp
I"ll chime in. I have a 6th gen VFR what about that? I
always thought the RC30 was the bike to have and the 45 was pretty
much a pile is that wrong?

Old Baldy
For me, Option #3 might have been better with something
like,

"I'm truly sick and tired of it, but still appreciate that a V4 is a
nice motor"

Much as I'm tired of his almost comical rhetoric, I just can't bring
myself to Option #4..............so #2 it is, for me.

hawkti
V-4 thumpsup

twowheelcossack
The never ending saga continues. Sigh.

duckdawg
maybe if you had two V4s...

gixracer
voted

babyabby
I have not had the so called pleasure of owning a V4 but I am
intrigued by the new VMAX and just might go to the dark side!!!!

roadkill
#2 for me.......Larry's fanaticism does not bother me one bit. Just ignore it if it bothers you.

I loooooooove my V4 BTW

Gog
Not too many have pride, passion and pedigree to Larry's extent.

mrgrn
did you know the rc30 WAS HAND ASSEMBLED BY ONE OF THREE TEAMS OF
4 MEN and they could only make 60 bikes per week. the bodywork was
hand laid glass and the RC30 was solely built to win suzuka, which it
did

cb186
i'll vote as soon as there is an option atleast 10x stronger than #4.

1996900sp
Was GINA a V4? If not she should have been the superior
power would have reformed the frame while in motion.

Old Baldy
 Originally Posted by Busy Little Shop  View Post
Hey Larry... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SHUT THE **** UP...

hahahahhahahahhahahhahahhaha!!!! This is why I love the guy...at the
same time as being so damned frustrated with his illogical biased BS.

No matter what anyone says....Larry's a true motorcyclist and enthusiast.
And I still want to knock his block off every now and again.

Barry

cheekybloke
You got to respect the guy but it is all getting out of hand.

roadkill No one is making you or anyone else here read it. Just my
2cents

Old Fart
100% with your analogy and no ill will to Larry

cheekybloke
If I did that there would hardly be a thread on here to read, It's like viral advertising.
Have a look any thread that has anything about an IL4 or V twin and even the one make tyre thread.

mtmansl

+1 (what Old Baldy said)

Matthew

robfromsc

Originally Posted by mrgrn  View Post it is certainly better than your
constant retoric or your blathering on about your $20,000 super fast
600cc bike

Originally Posted by cheekybloke View Post Mind it is still better
than reading about the latest second rate carbonfibre tut you have
spawned and are trying to push on people.

robfromsc
you guys need to go ahead and screw and just get it out of the way...
Much better to listen to Larry and the v4 this and v4 that, than you
two and your little pork hanging internet ego contest... go get laid
or something ...geesh!

Realmanken
I love hearing what Larry has to say. Sometimes when Im bored, I'll
log onto Speedzilla and actively search threads where Larry has posted
so that I might enrichen my knowledge more in depth on the properties
of a V-4 engine. Coincidentally, I dont have to search for very long
to find a thread because Larry has a post on every sinlge thread
created since he's joined. Kidding Larry! I really do love reading
your posts on V-4's though. Keep em coming!! VIVA LA V-4!!!!

banda
Larry is the only speedzilla member on my ignore list. Unfortuantely,
people still respond to him and quote his drivel, so it's hard to
completely avoid his V4 ravings.

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...

Just wrote out a long post and somehow I lost it trying to add attachments. I'll give the short version:

-Sorry it's been forever! Life (wife, baby, work, move, property work, etc.)

-Been quietly working on the bike I bought 5-6 years ago and rode twice.

-Since the last time: cbr900 swingarm, honda/suzuki hybrid dogbone-linkage, suzuki shock, 180/60 rear, 520 chain and gearing, gp linkage, version 1 exhaust (pretty but not well thought out), version 2 exhaust (super simple and almost done) bodywork and subframe pretty much sorted, brackets, blah blah blah. Just trying to tie loose ends and finish the final welds and ride.

I did actually have a few shake down runs with half an exhuast. There were a few minor things I needed to address but those I believe are taken care of.

I was surprised of how well the suspension and handling came out. It is nothing like the sport tourer I bought 6 years ago. I might dare to say it's funner to ride than my rc51 that I sold. Changes direction quicker, stable, and maybe just as fast?! It's a blast to ride. Just gotta get it quieter!

IMG_0951.JPG

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Lookin' racey... :biggrin:

Which 900RR swingarm did you end up using?  The RRW/X version Ken mentioned?  How much shorter is the swing arm?  It looks shorter, anyway!

Ciao,

JZH

5 hours ago, JZH said:

Lookin' racey... :biggrin:

Which 900RR swingarm did you end up using?  The RRW/X version Ken mentioned?  How much shorter is the swing arm?  It looks shorter, anyway!

Ciao,

JZH

A little too racey, thanks. I have become my younger hooligan self around my neighborhood.

98-99 RR swingarm. Not sure exactly how short but I think atleast an inch. It's definitely not bad at all though, still very stable and handles like a much lighter bike... would like to see what it weighs now. Took awhile to dial in the ride height/geometry, got lucky in that respect.

IMG_0959.MOV

Welding exhaust and subframe brackets for the exhaust hangers is done. Wrapping the headers with header wrap. I'll post pics when done. Still sounds pretty good with mufflers on it. iPhone audio doesn't do it justice, it's still pretty loud.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...