How difficult is it to remove and replace fairings?

adamv

Hi,

Coming from someone who is good with a keyboard, but hopeless with tools, I was wondering how difficult it is to remove and replace fairings on the 6th Gen.

I'm curious from two different angles:

1) To remove and replace fairings so I can change my own oil filter, coolant, etc, and

2) To remove and replace all fairings if I decide to become adventurous and buy some after market fairings for a custom paint job.

Is it something that just requires a bit of patience and time, or is it easy to get wrong, stuff it up, break something or otherwise should be done by someone who has a bit more experience in the workshop?

The side fairings are not bad. I can't speak for the other parts. But sides are what need to come off for oil changes.

• Member Contributer

The only hassle is with the many plastic pop pins. You have to push the centre section in to remove them and then try not to looz em. 

If you think these are difficult try a 2014 cbr.....aarrrggh

Once you've done it a few times it only takes a minute to get her skirt off. In truth the most awkward part is the two small fairing pieces either side of the dash that need to be bent and popped out/in at an uncomfortable angle. 

As others have eluded, it is very easy to remove the fairings. 

The biggest issue is probably removing the black 'V' piece behind the front wheel - there are captive nuts in the V piece that their respective bolts can, but not always, get stuck in. Similarly, there are things called 'well nuts' that some of the fairing bolts attach to - the bolts can also get stuck in here. Many apply a dab of copper slip or multipurpose grease to prevent this from happening.

The most involved item of fairing to remove is probably the nose cone, although removal is not necessary for the maintenance you mention. It's only a little more difficult because there are more fittings to remove - that's all.

At the end of the day though, bikes and cars are fairly simple - they're just nuts and bolts.

Removing the filter is easy once the fairing is off, although having the right tool will make it even easier; something like this:

https://www.motorcycleproducts.co.uk/oil-filter-wrench-honda-vfr800-2008-09-p-193467.html?gclid=CNTgpPy27tECFVRsGwodURUP_g

It also helps to make sure that the filter is fitted snugly enough.

Changing the coolant can be more tricky as getting the air out may require tipping the bike over to the left and repeatedly squeezing the hoses. There is plenty of further good advice out there on the subject.  

My advice to you would be to research whatever job it is that you're doing, make sure you've got a decent set of tools, and give yourself plenty of time and daylight hours to do the job - time pressure does all sorts of things to those who usually think clearly. A Haynes or service manual, which are available via this site as a download, are an excellent way to understand what it is you need to be doing,and in what order, even if the pictures are B&W and a bit grainy.  

To be perfectly honest I replaced the two lower well nuts on the 'v piece' with black zip ties. Works perfectly, can't see them and I just snip snip and pop two more in when done. Got sick of them seizing up even with coppaslip in there.

Archived