Differences in international fairings?

adamv

Hi,

I'm looking at getting some replacement fairings due to some damage on the left side of my bike.

However the bike I have purchased is an American Interceptor model (2009). I have a friend who purchased a 2009 VFR800 here locally in Australia brand new through Honda. I noticed the other day that the fairings are a little different. It seems as though mine exposes more of the plastic under the fairing on the right hand side at the top, where as his is a narrower gap between the fairing and the tank / body of the bike. They appear to be from two different molds.

Does anyone know if the VFR Interceptor (American model) uses different fairing types to the Australian version, and if they would be compatible or not?  Otherwise - can anyone recommend a solution for me to replace my left hand side fairing. I'd be happy to consider ordering OEM from Honda, but if the Australian version is different to the American one I could be in a bit of trouble.

Also - does anyone know if it's fine to order OEM for one fairing and if the colors should still match - or if I have to replace a fairing do I have to buy a whole new kit to ensure the colors match?

Thanks

Adam.

• Member Contributer

I hadn't heard of the fairings being different, but the stickers often are.  It used to be that only US-spec bikes used the name "Interceptor", and "Linked Braking System" (rather than Dual Combined Braking System).  I would be very surprised if the fairing plastic was different.

Ciao,

They definitely seem like different fairings but I'll take another look.  Does anyone know if the fairings have the model numbers molded on the inside? If so, it might be worth me taking the fairing off my bike to check if there's different numbers.

• Member Contributer

Hi Adam.

Why don't you try fitting your mates 2009 Aussie version fairings onto your bike. The left and right main fairings are easy to remove. From memory I think I remember seeing part numbers on the inside of the fairings. A phone call to your local Honda dealership spare parts department should be able to answer your other queries.

Cheers.

Grum.

Archived