6th Gen - PR4 - GT or ST Tire coming from Angel GT?

adamv

After reading a thread in the 5th Generation I'm thinking of changing my tire choice.  I've been using Angel GT's on my 6th gen, and have really liked them. However it seems that most of the talk lately has been on the PR4's, and that I might get a little longer life out of them.

I was just wondering - what do people recommend - should I be going the GT version, or the standard PR4's for sport touring?

I'm around 260lbs and with my luggage that will probably go up to just under 300lb in total.

As you probably saw in that thread I'm going with PR4's next. To me the longevity is one thing but they very confidence inspiring in the wet as well, really grippy and what with living in Melbourne it tends to rain a lot so to me a tyre that performs as exceptionally well in the wet the way the PR4's do is a necessity.

That being said I have heard good things about the Angel GT's, my brother actually uses them on all of his bikes but he will not ride if it's raining whereas I commute on my bikes everyday rain, hail or shine so there's that. For what I've found online most people say GT's last longer and have better overall handling, but in the wet PR4's are much more confidence inspiring. Either way you go they are in top tier category for tyre's and I'm sure you'll like them.

Thanks Blazerdman - maybe I've misunderstood.  My question was more along the lines of whether I should get:

1) Pilot Road 4,

or

2) Pilot Road 4 GT

(So when I mention GT I mean the pilot road, not the Angels) :)

Where does the PR4 and the PR4GT sit with the Angel GT. Which would be closer to what I've had in the past?

I'm having second thoughts and seriously considering the PR4's for my next tires (probably due in another 1,000 kms which will only be a few weeks away) and am wondering which PR4's I should go with?

Ah I seem to have misread your tile. The difference with the the regular PR4's and GT is the GT is a harder compound with the idea of it being used on heavy GT bikes that rack up miles and  Their own press pack stated Pilot Road 4 GT – A higher strength version of the Pilot Road 4 catering for large sport-touring motorcycles likely to carry a pillion passenger and/or luggage.  Bikes like Yamaha’s FJR1300 or BMW’s R 1200 RT for example, I know the FJR's weighed like 295 kg wet and your VFR is like 246 kg wet so it's a lot heavier.

If the GT's are less than $100 for the set over the regular PR4's I say get em otherwise you're not getting much more out of it.

• Member Contributer

Get the PR4 or Bridgestone T30 Evo whichever is less costly.  The B'stone perform slightly better than the PR4 in all conditions and last longer on my roads.  They are usually less expensive to boot which make them my go to tires for anything short of a track day.

Archived