Tail bag size experience

Epyon007

I'm planning to do some weekend camping trips to help my friends race this season.  I have Givi WP405 water proof soft luggage already which would easily carry most everything.  I would like a tail bag that is water proof for a pillow and sleeping bag.  The tent could just be strapped to the bag if need be.  What sort of size would you think I need.  I have NO idea....  Everything thing I see either looks like it would be to small or WAY to big.  I don't think I want to put it all in the same bag unless the Tent would be outside of the bag.  I don't want wet clothes and what not incase it rains.

Wow that stuff looks quite awesome!!

The Kriega stuff is awesome. I have 2 US-5, a US-10, and a US-20. For a single overnight, without camping, I can just use the US-10. For camping, I'll use either the 20 and 10 stacked or the 20 with the 5s alongside.

For wet weather camping, I also have a dry bag that I put the tent and such into (http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Big+River+Dry+Bag&o1=0&o2=0&o3=362-36). I usually strap this under whichever Kriega bag I decide for that trip.

A friend has the US-30 and I'm sorely tempted to buy one to add to the collection. The Kriega has features you never knew you needed and the build quality is excellent. It's very versatile gear.

Yes a 30 is quite tempting indeed.  I'm torn between that and a 20.  I really should get one of those sleeping bags that pack up tiny small and I would be saving lots of space.  The last time I did this trip I hardly used 1.5 side bags, but I did strap my tent, tarp, sleeping bag and pillow to the passenger seat.  The 20l I think would have more usage as it would be likely the perfect size for "I don't quite need side bags" travel.  A 20l with the soft side bags would be about 70 L total.

• 1 year later...

The Kriega gear is awesome, I’ve riden through all sorts of crazy weather and can say they are 100% waterproof! I have the dry bags in a 30, two 20’s and a 10. I’m using the 30 and 10 in this picture.

172B526C-25B7-40CB-8F1C-0F63085F14A7.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Another Kreiga user here, I have the US 10 & 20, unbeatable quality and they clip exactly on the loop Honda have so thoughtfully provided

I've used a bunch of others but none were so well made or had such a perfect fit

• Member Contributer
On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:39 AM, CDNBCN said:

The Kriega gear is awesome, I’ve riden through all sorts of crazy weather and can say they are 100% waterproof! I have the dry bags in a 30, two 20’s and a 10. I’m using the 30 and 10 in this picture.

172B526C-25B7-40CB-8F1C-0F63085F14A7.jpeg

Its a nice product I've seen at bike shows. How are you folks fastening these to the seat that is secure and does not tear the seat cover?

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, Willy said:

Its a nice product I've seen at bike shows. How are you folks fastening these to the seat that is secure and does not tear the seat cover?

Using the 4 loops Honda provide, they're under the passenger seat, just look at the pics we all use the same ones

Kriega make an adapter that enables you to use it as a tank bag too

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Using the 4 loops Honda provide, they're under the passenger seat, just look at the pics we all use the same ones

Ah! Thanks Thumbs. I've an older VFR and no hoops but I looked at their website and found what you're referring to. I have some hoops I bought elsewhere that will work. Thanks again!

6 hours ago, Thumbs said:

Ha ha... you beat me to it Thumbs! Cheers

If you have an older model, they do come with the attachments that you can affix to the frame under the pilon seat, these act in as same as the newer models that have the straps already attached to the seat.

Yep, I used the loops they provided to create my mounting points.  I've got a 5th gen so I did one on each side around the bar between the frankenbolts and then around the stand offs at the rear grab handle mounts.

I can grab a pic if you want.

• Member Contributer
8 hours ago, PetePower said:

Looks like a Kriega 20 might be on my Birthday pressie list, they do look very nice.

Do they have any small storage pockets that can be accessed without removing it from the bike?

Theres a zipper compartment on the top for documents, phone etc, so no it doesn't have side pockets 

I put my water bottle in the bag last then it can be got at without taking the bag off

Archived