Just orderd DMr fork carts, any install advice? 5th gen.

Epyon007

Like the topic states I just sent my order into Jamie for the fork cartridge kit and a 929 rear shock.  I'm not worried about the rear shock but the forks will be a whole new adventure.  A racer friend of mine will be helping me and he has done some fiddling with forks before so I'm not going in totally unarmed.

• Member Contributer

read the install instruction a couple times before tearing into forks, then have them handy once you start. have the right oil and fork seals on hand before you start. take your time.

I have done it to 2 6 gens, and will be removing them from current forks to coat the lowers in the next month or so.

• Member Contributer

As 3Dcycle says, read the instructions a few times and if you still get stuck, Jamie is usually reachable to answer questions. If your racer friend has any experience with forks, you should be fine.

• Member Contributer

Depending on the age of the forks, they might benefit from new bushings and if you change these then the seals need to be removed and possibly replaced. This also enables you to give the forks a thorough cleaning. The other parts needed are the copper washers that seal the damper bolts.

In terms of disassembly:
1 break loose the fork caps while the forks are mounted
2 While the fork is fully assembled Invert the fork and make sure the damper bolt comes out nicely; these have a bad habit of getting stuck. If you have access to an impact driver it will make short work of a stuck fastener.
3 As a follow up to 2, use a tap and die to clean the threads of the damper bolt and cartridge to make future disassembly easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Terry said:

Depending on the age of the forks, they might benefit from new bushings and if you change these then the seals need to be removed and possibly replaced. This also enables you to give the forks a thorough cleaning. The other parts needed are the copper washers that seal the damper bolts.

In terms of disassembly:
2 While the fork is fully assembled Invert the fork and make sure the damper bolt comes out nicely; these have a bad habit of getting stuck. If you have access to an impact driver it will make short work of a stuck fastener.
3 As a follow up to 2, use a tap and die to clean the threads of the damper bolt and cartridge to make future disassembly easier.

Coming from the guy why has been Offering ill-informed opinions since 1982

• Member Contributer
On 1/4/2017 at 1:44 PM, Terry said:

In terms of disassembly:

Amen.   Trying to drill out a spinning bolt head when I was upgrading my fork components with DMr kit was a lesson in perseverance and patience that I don't want to endure again.

You and I placed the exact same order at almost the exact same time, I just got mine in the mail 4 days ago (Daugherty Motorsports fork cartridges and the 929 rear shock).  I'm working on a '99 VFR800.  Plan to get all the work done sometime this month or early next month.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers Greg!!  Well It's going to be a while before I can do anything.  I need to get my RC51 done first.  And it's cold as balls around here so I'm not working in the garage when its -10 outside.  The RC is in the house so that's no problem.  Feel free to keep me posted on your progress as well!!

Archived